1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning plastic smell in cabin after catalytic converter was replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by zensamuel, Dec 2, 2022.

1. zensamuel

zensamuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all-

I recently got my car back from mechanic after having had the catalytic converter stolen. When I brought it home, I spray painted it bright orange with a high heat spray paint after having read that can help deter theft. The next day when I stopped driving I smelled a burning smell, took another look at the spray paint can, and realized it was only for up 600 F or so, and read that the cat can get up to 2,000 F. Now I am smelling a burning plastic smell only when I have the air intake set to outside air. My question is: where is the air being brought in from the air, and could the paint on the catalytic converter be the problem, or could be there was other damage done in the theft or repair? Can anyone point me to a chart of where the air is brought in, and where it goes to get warm and ultimately reach the vents? Does the air tubing go near the catalytic converter? It seemed to me that I smelled it more with hot air or AC air than cold air. I don't smell anything when the air is turned off or on recycle. Thanks for any help in advance. Basically I'm wondering if I should even try to get the insurance to cover fixing the issue, or just admit that it was my fault and attempt to get it fixed myself. Either way I'd like help on trying to ID and understand the issue.

Beige Bruiser likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's going to stop in a few hours The paint just has to burn off and all the catalysts have to burn out of the paint you just don't paint exhaust systems generally speaking maybe tips and things like that but the exhaust system from the manifold at least down to the center section is going to be quite hot possibly anodizing it or something but paint maybe if it's ceramic coating of some sort but not paint that will smell the high heaven and just bubble and look like hell

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as long as the aero covers are properly fastened, it's probably the paint.

the air comes in under the windshield wipers, thru a duct in the dash to the air filter and fan behind the glovebox.
    it is possible that air flow wraps around from under the car and a bit gets in there