1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

burning smell in 2010 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bhziegler, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bhziegler

bhziegler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone ever notice a burning smell while driving?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go up extended hills by any chance?

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Funny you mention that. I have once or twice smelled something like plastic burning or hot plastic in my 2007 Prius. :cautious: The area I live in is completely flat. There arent any hills in any of my commute.

4. bhziegler

bhziegler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I live in quite a hilly area and it seems to be most noticeable after an extended climb. I have noticed it a few times on cold days even on flat driving. Is this normal or something I should be worried about?

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If that is the problem, yes totally normal.The exhaust systems heats up along with the inverter and all the other components which normally stay pretty cool. Any grime,oil,sealant,paint,etc will burn off all adding to the smell.

Last summer I took a road trip and left my grill blocking in. After a few hills the smell was really bad. I removed the blocking promptly.

With that said, you should also check your rims around the lugs to make sure you are not dragging your brakes after sensing the smell. Have you noticed any changes in your Fuel economy?

6. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been noticing a slight burning exhaust/oil/ plastic smell. Most noticeable when the car is not moving and the ICE is running. It could be related to the recent oil change. Right after the oil change I noticed a strong burning oil smell, like being near an oil refinery. That went away in a few minutes. This smell is more like the smell of incomplete combustion that older cars put out. I drove with a CO detector just to make sure it wasn't an exhaust leak. It didn't go off. I may take it in if the smell doesn't go away in a week. I'm afraid the oil change place may have screwed something up.

7. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm definitely smelling exhaust when I rev the engine in idle. It's coming right into the cabin. I think the idiots at the oil change place left something disconnected. Better take it to the dealer tomorrow or next week.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They probably dump oil on top of the engine or oil splattered on the exhaust system when draining. Probably a good idea to have it looked over though.

9. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I'm now thinking the same thing. It smells more like burned oil than exhaust. I think synthetic smells worse than regular when heated. It is gradually getting less noticeable.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just out of curiosity, have you popped the hood and looked under to make sure they didnt leave the oil fill cap off or they forgot to reinstall the engine oil dipstick??? Have you checked the oil level since you had it serviced?

11. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes to all of the above. The oil was at the correct level. Nothing obvious was out of order. Still getting the odd smell though, even outside the car. Seems to be worse when it's cold as we just got more snow today.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did anyone apply extra undercoating? Maybe some sprayed onto the exhaust?

13. prius cabbie

prius cabbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may have driven over a plastic bag and it got stuck underneath. It has happened to me a few times. Just let it eventually go away. It gets melted on the metal and is almost impossible to remove. It is harmless.

14. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update on this: I recently popped the hood to check the oil and found that the oil cap was not fully tightened. I think that might have been the source of the smell. The synthetic oil does have an odd smell. It might have been venting some when the engine was hot. I'll have to wait until colder weather to know for sure, since that is when the smell is most noticeable.

spiderman likes this.
  15. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am surprised a loose oil cap / dip stick would not trip a check engine light in the Prius. :mad: I have seen older, not as green cars do that, to warn that it is venting crankcase fumes into the atmosphere.

16. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It must have been borderline loose; not enough to trigger a CEL. Anyway, it seems to have taken care of the burning smell. Next time I'll remember to check the oil cap after an oil change. (y)

17. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed a burning smell after going up a steep hill first time