1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burnt Toast smell

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jm64, Feb 28, 2017.

1. jm64

jm64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    About 30k 2014 PiP Base - Sat for the last 10 days outside (Bay Area, so apparently I missed lots of rain while I was away...). Turned it on this morning, turned on defroster and a distinct burnt toast smell occurred for 5-10 min before going away. Anyone ever have a similar experience or anything specific to check (other than bread in the engine bay...), I likely won't worry too much about it unless I notice it again.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't recall that complaint before. i would have a look at your cabin filter to make sure no critters got in.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Hope you're not having a stroke!

I find if the AC is off for a while, it tends to get a bit funky once turned on again (especially in damp weather) - though I'd describe it more as a "wet dog" smell...

4. jm64

jm64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had my kid with me, and she noticed it too, so thankfully not mutual strokes.

Popped the hood yesterday when I got home, unfortunately found clear evidence of critters in the form of peanut shells all over the place. In our area, people throw them to the squirrels who bury them during the day, the roof rats then seem to get them at night...so I'm guessing a rat decided it was a nice place for a picnic. No sign of wiring damage that I could see, I know that can be an issue with rodents as well.

I shopvac'd it all up, then used the blower to blow out any bits from hard to reach places and will monitor closely going forward. I'm just due for 30k service, so when I check/replace the cabin filter I'll see if anything got in there. I did check the engine air filter and nothing was in there thankfully.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check your cabin filter too.