1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burnt wire/cooking electronics smell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ETP, May 29, 2009.

1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Last two mornings after being back from a 5 day vacation I have noticed a burnt wire smell early in the morning and only early when I first get in the car. The only thing I did was push the button under the steering wheel while I was gone and put a custom dash cover on. On the way home I do not notice the smell after the car is parked all day. It is very humid in the morning here in Florida.:confused::confused:

2. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    2K on the car and it runs great.

3. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First, please understand that I have a Camry Hybrid (2007), so I cannot translate directly over to your Prius:

A quick suggestion:
    Check the A/C Temp. If it is higher than interior temp, the heater may be kicking on. I believe that the Prius has an electrical heating element (PTC?) (possibly even two) that could kick in to supplement the car's normal heater until the engine coolant gets up to normal temp. You MAY be smelling the electrical heater.

I hope this is what the "problem" is. If so, no problem.

4. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You da man! I did not know that. So I need to turn the cabin temp down real low since I seldom use the AC. I am so use to my Civic hybrid that is not as advanced as this beast.
    What a car.:D

5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That must have been the issue because I turned the temp down to 65 and it stopped.