1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Busbar Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Noahdoge, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Decided to replace the bus bars on my 2012 150k. I live in an area where the humidity gets to 95%+ so I thought it would be a good idea to replace them. Just what I thought they would look like. I’ve taken some data before replacement so I will update when I test the new bus bars to see if there’s any difference.
    8255AB69-98CE-4A39-A19D-2DD0D2F2F16C.jpeg 700B6BAB-D1A6-4FAB-9F00-F8AAD7DDAD4D.jpeg E57C7486-88E1-408A-A89C-466AE5735009.jpeg

mjoo and hill like this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    looks much better

Noahdoge likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There are companies that sell these bus bar type things with anti-corrosion stuff already built onto the metal etc etc there's all kinds of stuff you can do You can get anti-corrosive white looking grease stuff that you can wipe on the bus bars before you make the assemblies that will help stay off moisture CRC makes a red thin film battery spray when I put the new battery in my '09 I sprayed that narrow strip of the bus bars their nuts and all that with this red spray not heavily just the light glaze across and back on both sides I don't live in a seriously wet state but the Prius is like a terrarium kind of reminiscent of the American motors Pacer so I make sure that anything that goes in the car could possibly take on water or is sealed up to not take on the water because it's very possible it could get wet or damp in the Prius in North Carolina

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can bus bar replacement be accomplished without pulling the whole battery out of the car? Is that the way to go?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In the gen 3 I think the way the battery lays you could possibly unbolt the bus bars with a quarter inch drive ratchet set up but you would be working in semi-tight spaces bent over in the back of your hatch kneeling on the back of the back seat etc etc etc four bolts or whatever it is and you're sliding the whole battery right out of the trunk laying it on your roll around workbench and wheeling it over and your stationary workbench now you have a whole l-shaped top to work on You can walk behind both sides of the battery all of that just makes for much quicker more comfortable work but if you want to do it like that you could if I was going to do that I'd get my 9-year-old to crawl in there and teach him how to unbolt the stuff because he's so small

6. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not take the battery out. I was able to access everything I needed with it in the car. I will say this, my back and neck was throbbing when I was done. But besides having to hunch over the whole time it only took me a little over an hour start to finish.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could also clean the bus bars.
    This almost looks like magic cleaning.
    Youtube
    Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery: Cleaning the Copper Sheets

Don't forget a good pair of chopsticks.
    my2cents

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just dropped in kids tumbler bright n new look . But some of these things you can buy now come with coated nuts and bars if that's a thing I don't know

9. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are nickel plated bus bars. I saw videos of people cleaning them, but for $40 it was well worth it to just swap the parts right then and there.

10. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can remove/replace the bus bars with the battery in the car. Disconnect the 12 volt battery and the traction battery orange disconnect plug before you start. Leather gloves recommended.

11. LaJay007

LaJay007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the nuts, I see there are two types of nuts. Do you know which would be better with less corrosion? Medium carbon steel with zinc plating or medium carbon steel with nickel plating?

12. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I had to do it over again I would re-use the OE nuts after cleaning with some carb cleaner.

LaJay007 likes this.
  13. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also to give an update 15k miles later. There was no difference with internal resistance based on the info saved before and after with Dr Prius. Milli-ohm stays in the low to mid 20s. Voltage difference is very small too, always around 0.2V or less.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, that's exactly the question I was just going to ask!

15. LaJay007

LaJay007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered these
    Nickel-Plated, Copper BUS BARS & SS NUTS compatible with Nexcell Lithium Battery

#15 LaJay007, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  16. LaJay007

LaJay007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nickel-Plated, Copper BUS BARS & SS NUTS compatible with Nexcell Lithium Battery

#16 LaJay007, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  17. LaJay007

LaJay007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I give up. For some reason, the forum will not let me post a link. :cautious:
    Search the above on Amazon. They are nickel-plated copper bus plates and smooth nuts.
    Did I say, "smooth nuts"? :LOL:

18. VZvrtny

VZvrtny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I work as an R&D engineer and developed a wide flange nut that is very much like the OEM, except it is stainless steel. Everything you can find on the market is standard DIN6923 flange nuts, and the flange on those is not as wide as OEM, resulting in a different pressure profile on the battery module terminals. Stainless is naturally corrosion-resistant, so you don't need to worry about plating withstanding the corrosive electrolyte environment. Depending on where the car was driven, zinc-plated nuts sometimes do not hold up well. In the picture below you can see on the left the battery from one of my customers who had his car worked on by someone 22 months prior, and the corrosion was already eating up the zinc-plated nuts.
    corrosion comparison.jpg

In the picture below you can see how the flange on the ACENBAY nut is covering a much larger surface area compared to a typical DIN 6923 nuts
    nut comparison on the module.jpg

Below is a pressure distribution profile comparison between a wide flange nut and a typical DIN6923 M5 nuts PRESSURE PROFILE.jpg Wide Flange Nuts.jpg

19. VZvrtny

VZvrtny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Please keep in mind, as the listing name suggests, this set is for Nexcell Lithium Battery. Standard OEM NiMH and Nexcell Lithium Battery use the same hardware, but Nexcell Lithium Battery requires less quantity. If you are working with a stock OEM battery, this kit will not be enough to complete the job, but there is a listing for an original NiMH battery as well, both, on Amazon and eBay.
    I myself use Nexcell Lithium Battery in my daily driver, it is amazing, and I highly recommend it.

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So far the CRC red spray on my tumbled.. gold Toyota nutz is holding well . The bus bars are the nickel plated jobbies.. didn't see any wider flange nutz specs.