1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush Administration Selling National Forests

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by ErikU, May 16, 2006.

1. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NRDC feature

In a reckless attempt to cover its own budgetary mishaps, the Bush Administration is proposing the sale of 1,250 square miles of national forests and public wildlands -- an area the size of Yosemite National Park -- to logging companies, real estate developers and other private interests. The raid on our public estate would sacrifice stretches of three NRDC BioGems, including prime habitat in Greater Yellowstone for bears, elk and wolves; popular recreation spots in Alaska's Tongass National Forest; and wildlife-rich ecosystems in the Greater Cumberland Plateau region, as well as hundreds of other natural treasures. The first of two Bush Administration proposals calls for auctioning off 300,000 acres of irreplaceable national forest lands spanning 35 states in a shortsighted approach to funding a rural schools program. California alone would lose 75,000 acres of its national forests. The second scheme would enable the administration to sell off hundreds of thousands of acres of public wildlands overseen by the Bureau of Land Management and use the proceeds for deficit reduction.

Dozens of newspaper editorials have protested the folly of proposals that would sell the birthright of future generations to pay off short-term bills. NRDC is mobilizing Members and online activists nationally and running hard-hitting radio and newspaper ads in key states to block this unprecedented raid on our natural heritage. We will also be working with local ranchers, hunters, fishermen, hikers and other frequent forest users to bring urgently needed political pressure to bear in Washington when these proposals come before Congress.

Other Links

Washington Post

Baltimore Sun

Sierra Club

This is just a short list of all the sites that are covering this issue. This is just horrible. There is a reason these lands are kept safe, they are not just protected so that we can get rid of them in the future in exchange for money. Knock off all the stupid tax cuts and use that money to pay for new schools etc. These are national treasures and there are not that much anymore. If we allow this to continue, we wont have national forests but literally only national "parks" (like "we are going to the park swingset"). Again, these have been protected by our government............it should not be an issue to just sell them off now.

2. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 16 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]256531[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, thats just crazy, :angry: I know that here land is being bought up like crazy I have even seen wetlands turned into neighborhoods... We have forests that logging companies harvest but they just replant with new growth ..Im speachless :(

4. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 16 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]256537[/snapback]</div>

This has been an issue since the beginning of the year but has really not been brought to the headlines. Hopefully, congress will trash this idea like they did last year when Bushies tried opening up a lot of these areas for mining. Just hoping enough people see this and take some action. I try and keep pretty much up to date with material like this but I haven't seen this until now. Very upsetting!!! :angry:

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 16 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]256548[/snapback]</div>
    Do you guys realize that over 50% of the land in California, and most other western states, is controlled by the BLM or National Park System?

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 16 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]256685[/snapback]</div>

...and of this I heartily approve. Imagine if that land had not been placed aside for future generations, by now it would have been raped, pillaged, and desecrated. I'm very glad someone in past generations had the foresight to save such national treasures for our enjoyment. I live in a county which is over half protected by some sort of park or other public institution. This is within the San Francisco Metro area which makes it all the more valuable both for public enjoyment as well as ripe for development. Ergo where I live is highly desireable. There are a few major problems with this situation. 1) our tax base is much smaller than it otherwise would be 2) such desirability makes it very expensive to live here and 3) this causes it to unfortunately be out of reach financially for many minorities leaving a pretty sterile white community. Still, I thank those old garden-club ladies of past generations for their foresight in leaving a legacy for the future.

7. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 17 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]256685[/snapback]</div>

Whats your point? This is an issue of selling those lands to the highest bidder. These lands have been previously protected and their sale should not be an issue. Yes, indeed, there are some that probably are not necessary crucial points of protection. There are arguments that these are lands that are on the outer areas of the forests and are close to communities. If these lands are sold and opened to development, in 5-10 years they can say the same thing again when these areas have become fully developed..... "Well, these areas are close to the community and are not important protected areas." It would be an endless cycle with whole areas auctioned off over time. You give them a little here and there, which would satisfy them for the time, but then in a few years they will come back and say the same thing again. That is why it is important to make a stand now and prevent any auctioning off of these protected lands. If they are controlled by whoever, then shame on them for not doing their job at protecting these areas.

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ May 17 2006, 08:10 AM) [snapback]256859[/snapback]</div>
    Public parks in cities may be pretty, but I don't really consider them "wilderness". The management of them is often worse than the management of private lawns.

The question you have to ask is if the government is better at managing land than private interests.

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 17 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]257009[/snapback]</div>
    Whenever you sell something, I recommend you sell it to the highest bidder. ;)

But beside that tidbit of anti-capitalist sentiment, I will agree with you that preservation of open space is something we should encourage. But I don't automatically assume that all sales of public lands is a bad thing. We could sell off half of California's federally held lands and the state would still have much more in reserve than most of the other states.

I own a desert lot that has three BLM parcels in front of it. They used to sell the land, but now they hold it in reserve to exchange for more desireable lands (i.e., they would trade you the 15 acres of desert land for 5 acres of wetlands in a migratory path). Because the pace of federal selling of the land was basically stopped when the policy changed, the federal government is holding too much of California's land, much of it that was originally slated for homesteading or other development.

Logging is not a bad use of forest land, especially with the new land management practices the timber companies use. I would rather be in a parcel managed by a logging company than the floor of Yosemite in summer; the smog is terrible there. The feds have not done a good job of preserving, as their mandate is to make the land available for recreational use. And they over-do it because they also have a mandate to not discriminate in allowing use.

10. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 17 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]257346[/snapback]</div>
    Whenever you sell something, I recommend you sell it to the highest bidder. ;)

I agree.....that's common sense.

But beside that tidbit of anti-capitalist sentiment

What??!!!

The selling of these lands to makeup for improper handling and short comings of the administration to provide money for rural schools and to knock off some of the deficit is ridiculous. Once these areas are gone, they are gone! Not all of these areas are deserts or pieces of crap as you suggest. I would not be surprised if a lot of it is highly valuable land or they wouldn't be selling it. Why would logging companies be bidding for it if it was invaluable. Again, they are protected and should remain so. Continuing to sell off pieces of land will result in more and more because once they have done it, they WILL do it again.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually called the forest service on this matter when it was brought to my attention a month or so ago. Their spin on it is that some of this land is "intact" ecosystems (they're spinning it as Bush would spin it) They said that some of this land may just be 20 acres, not contiguous with any other federally managed parcel. My take on this is that no matter how fragmented our public land, we shouldn't develop and detroy what we have left. So far as I'm concerned, fragmented parcels are better than no parcels. Besides the land that's not "intact", they are also going to sell off parts our National Parks! Forests are huge filtration tanks for water and air and at this stage in the game, don't we value this? If people are opposed to this, now is a good time to contact your state representatives and the Bush administration. The USDA Forest Service website also takes comments.

If you're angry about this, what happened when they tried to drill for oil in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge by hanging a $100 per capita fuel credit carrot as persuasion to support this? Did this pass?