1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush invited to speak at Iranian University

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Oct 2, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...l?nav=rss_world
    By Robin Wright

After the controversial appearance of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at Columbia University last week, an Iranian university yesterday invited President Bush to travel to Iran and speak on campus about a range of issues, including the Holocaust, terrorism, human rights and U.S. foreign policy, the Fars News Agency reported yesterday.

"President Bush looks forward to traveling to a democratic Iran, an Iran where its leaders allow freedom of speech and assembly for all of its people and an Iran where the leaders mourn the victims of the Holocaust, not call for the destruction of Israel," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

MJ: In other words, when pigs fly. Unless he can read from a script, and take carefully vetted questions, our "FREE" leader is unprepared to emulate what his nemesis can easily accomplish. Yet one more example showing republicans are better at being obstructionists than leaders. Would BILL CLINTON pass up an opportunity to 'set the record straight' at a university invitation in Iran?

Yet one more time Junior brings embarrassment to our country. Chalk one up for Ahmadinejad.

2. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're off base here. Ignoring the huge security risks of a sitting president speaking in Iran I seriously doubt BC or any other recent pres. would accept this invitation. There's nothing to gain by speaking to a hand picked audience that would ridicule any opionion you presented that didn't jibe with the state's stance.

Also, there's no way this is any kind of "victory" for Ahmadinejad, as your "Chalk one up for Ahmadinejad" comment suggests. Almost everyone will see this for what it is, a publicity stunt trying to legitimize Iran's policies as rational.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, Bush speaking in Iran, and getting assasinated, would be the ONLY way he can have his war with Iran.

Though I'm sure Iran would understand that if anything ill happened to the POTUS, they be in a world of hurt, and would do everything in their power to protect him.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Oct 2 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]520431[/snapback]</div>
    You do not know the person who made the original post well. He intrinsically favors ahmadjihad over President Bush and is blinded by hate/dislike - so he is unable to pick up on obvious points that you so clearly elucidated in your post.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad didn't need a translator; George W. Bush would.

Uh oh...the return to PC of another, "person blinded by hate/dislike."

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Oct 2 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]520437[/snapback]</div>

Pray they're that stupid, Pray were that lucky!

[attachmentid=11828]

Attached Files:

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Oct 2 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]520437[/snapback]</div>
    Explain please - are you advocating that the President go there to get assassinated to further his desire to go to war with Iran? If he wanted war with Iran and not diplomacy would he not have already attacked?

8. echase

echase New Member

Bush "looks forward" to traveling to a democratic Iran, where the leaders share his views? Sounds like somebody's about to get "liberated"!

In all seriousness, was that a coded threat?

Sorry to double-post, but I just re-read the NSC's statement again...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 2 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]520414[/snapback]</div>
    I'm astounded of the arrogance of this... It's like he's got the mission accomplished banner up already, and they havn't even fired the first shot.

Dubbya can't really think he can pull this off in a year, considering his track record and all. Perhaps he has a neferious scheme for a third term.

Sorry to double-post, but I just re-read the NSC's statement again...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 2 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]520414[/snapback]</div>
    I'm astounded of the arrogance of this... It's like he's got the mission accomplished banner up already, and they havn't even fired the first shot.