1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush is going to veto a bill to fund the troops!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Mar 29, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danoday @ May 2 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]434077[/snapback]</div>
    OMG! Squid and dberman, how does it feel to be so owned? Is danoday your daddy?

2. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]434139[/snapback]</div>
    Really? History isn't significant? You asked for other heads of state who have employed weapons of mass destruction - I gave you a laundry list of nations (granted, I only named a couple of actual heads of those nations, but this is really a moot point for the argument) and when they used them. I also told you what materials we provided to Iraq; this essentially 'created' Iraq's 1980's WMD program. Evidence suggests that Saddam gave up his WMD's at the end of the first Gulf war in 1991 (despite Cheney's assertions to the contrary), twelve years before we invaded. That history isn't significant?

Let's clarify - the Reagan administration supplied Saddam Hussein with the materials to manufacture chemical and biological weapons (WMD's), knowing full well that he would use them on Iran (which he did). The U.S., therefore, knowingly played a part in violating international law banning the use of chemical weapons. The U.S. is entirely culpable in this. In this case, international law is apparently malleable (by your interpretation), I guess. We can violate the law ourselves without repercussions, but can stage a regime-changing invasion by claiming that the same laws are being violated by someone else. We can also look the other way when it suits our needs.

Now, you are probably going to say that the rules have changed... they haven't. In 1986, the U.S. bombed Libya in retaliation for a terrorist attack on a German nightclub frequented by U.S. servicemen... so we were responding to nations that sponsored terrorism even then.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Game
    Set &
    Match!

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danoday @ May 2 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]434156[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the only thing I'm going to say, is simply to re-emphasize I will not argue the point any further. The point is moot, I won't convince you of anything and vice-versa...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]434158[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, sure, when everyone sees it the same way.... :lol:

Matters not though, Bush still invaded 2 countries, toppled 2 governments, killed Saddam and his sons...

You can argue right/wrong/criminal all you want. What's done is already done (and rightfully so mind you), YOUR arguments are all moot in this respect. ;)

5. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]434139[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I think we've gotten to the bottom of things. Mystery Squid, even though there is absolutely no evidence that you planned and helped execute the 9/11 attacks, I hereby call for your arrest and detention for the murder of 3000 Americans.

Please go to your nearest FBI office and turn yourself in right away. You might want to call ahead and let them know you are coming.

6. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danoday @ May 2 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]434163[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, there's a pretty high degree of likelihood I'm a terrorist... :rolleyes:

Try living in the REAL world for a while, not within this ridiculous utopia of "fairness, law, and evidence" that makes you feel better at night...

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 30 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]432925[/snapback]</div>
    Right...when, instead, we should be investing in the child's college fund.

So, regarding Iraq...are we?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, 'cause the world of self-rightous presumption of guilt and egocentric sense of national superiority is a much better world.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]434167[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I think it's nothing more than a global game of "King of the Hill". Do you really think a country like, let's say China, is going to "hold back" on someday achieving "Super Power" status in some utopic effort to coexist in a peaceful, equally spread power-balanced world? I'm not betting THEIR foreign policy on it. All things considered, I'd rather be at the top than be dictated to at the bottom.

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh fun, metaphor time, per squidward!
    How about:
    The nail that sticks up gets hammered! As in most of the world view as as fat, greedy, and trigger happy, and everyone likes to root for the underdogs. When peak oil is acknowledged, there will be billions of fingers outside the US, pointed squarely at us.

China's got their own set of problems. I'm not real worried about a Chineses attack on America (their main business customer). Without Americans buying useless plastic crap from China, their economic boom will turn to bust rather quickly. The real enemy to the US is...........OURSELVES!

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]434175[/snapback]</div>
    Great Britain used to be the king of the hill. Since we've usurped them they've done just dandy. As to your assertion that China's going to be some threat, do you envision their invading us someday? Do they have a long record of invading other nations(like us)? They're existence and power depends solely on the consumption of the western world. They can't be powerful without the likes of us as customers. So I doubt they'll be invading us or any other western nation in the near future as their power relies on a relies on a benevolent coexistence with ourselves and the eurodollar.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]434175[/snapback]</div>
    Just because America has been a bit ruthless in pursuing its version of 'civilization,' doesn't necessarily mean that others will be too.

Perhaps your viewpoint is a bit too grounded in Western history...?

China has just as much/just as little right as we do, to move their country towards their goals. If it's okay for us, it's okay for them. If it's not okay for them, then it's not okay for us, either.

Are you saying that, now that we've built up this huge infrastructure over the last 75 years in the USA (on the back of cheap and plentiful energy, and with only recent efforts to curb pollution), we're suddenly going to change the rules and not allow the same over there? Doesn't that seem a bit duplicious, especially since we still put out such tremendous amounts of greenhouse gasses (if you even believe that sort of thing).

What happened to your American competitiveness? If you really believe in America, then you also believe that we still have what it takes to rise to ANY challenge.

You do believe in America, don't you? This concerns me.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 2 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]434198[/snapback]</div>
    Historically every hegemony has come to an end.

14. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 2 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]434192[/snapback]</div>
    And that, folks, is why the democrats continue to lose presidential elections, even when possessing superior talent.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ May 2 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]434328[/snapback]</div>
    The truth hurts....

It's too bad simple-minded folk can't accept the truth and they keep electing people with a propensity for doing the wrong things. That just strengthens the original quote.

16. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 2 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]434139[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that lil' guy over there in North Korea - the one who didn't hide the fact that he was developing nuclear weapons and refused to let the investigators in...he wasn't a "real loose cannon when it came to WMD's in RECENT times"?

It is, however, reassuring that we have someone here on FHOP to distinguish what history is significant and what isn't for the rest of us. Nothing like throwing out a challenge and then whining when someone steps up. "Owned" is right on.

17. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 2 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]434485[/snapback]</div>
    All history is significant until we choose to ignore it. Then, it tends to repeat itself.

18. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 2 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]434192[/snapback]</div>
    How about:
    A: If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail.

19. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Squid hasn't answered the question about how it feels to be so thoroughly owned.

Dbermann has at least had the grace to stay silent.

20. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 2 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]434342[/snapback]</div>
    So if they elect a democrat next time they won't be simple minded anymore? Somehow the same schmucks that voted in Bush would then be enlightened? You do realize how arrogant that quote sounds, I hope?