1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush orders a Freeze on all solar projects

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rybold, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    CNN-News Video - President Bush ordered a two-year freeze on all solar panel projects so that an Environmental Impact Report can be conducted. Currently, there are 150 projects that have submitted applications. Those projects will be allowed to proceed. No new applications will be accepted. Some environmental groups are in support of this freeze, stating that solar panels cover acres and acres of habitat.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Personally, I agree with the viewpoint of the environmental groups that say that solar panels would cover too much habitat. I personally feel that solar panels should be decentralized, and that each building should have it's own solar panels, and such panels should plug into the grid to create a buffer. We already have buildings covering the environment - just put the panels on top of the pre-existing buildings.
    As to whether I agree with Bush's decision or not ... my jury is still out.

Here is an interesting fact: The 2005 Hurricane Season damage cost a total of $80 billion dollars. Consequently, 2005 was the warmest year on record. A correlation? It's a possibility. My statement on this though is ... think of how many solar panels and wind turbines the U.S. could buy with $80 billion.

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My personal feeling is that utilities should 'rent' roofspace much like companies rent locations for billboards. Then put up as much PV as the space can accommodate. The "rent" can be that the owner gets the electricity credit to offset their bill and anything generated above and beyond goes to the utility for FREE. There are plenty of roofs all around my neighborhood that are perfectly situated for PV generation and no way they'll use all of the electricity generated.

But no. SDGE would rather put 160 foot towers through the Anza Borrego State Park. To link up the future solar production sites that apparently won't begin constuction for at least 2 years or more.

(If *I* were President you'd see the White House green so fast. They do have a modest garden. But they're be PV, solar hot water, aggressive recycling and composting, buying local, expanding that garden with menus seasonally based, and government cars would all be hybrids. I'd do the same thing to Camp David (stupid name). That's just to start.)

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pity buildings there have no roofs.
    Why not provide a subsidy or tax incentive for people to install solar on their homes?

I believe the Texan might be taking notice of the environmentalists the coal companies sponsor.

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This thread is highly misleading.

The projects that are being "halted" are large scale projects requesting the use of public lands.

You can still build whatever type of solar project you want if you own the land.

It's still a setback, none-the-less.

6. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Interesting. I searched for it before I started a new topic. Sorry.
    I was referring to the ground underneath buildings as being habitat that has already been stomped on. If that habitat has already been destroyed, then we should put solar panels on the roofs of preexisting buildings instead of destroying even more habitat.

I've suggested the same thing in the past. I agree with you 100%.
    I hadn't thought of the White house "lead by example," but that is an excellent idea. Just like the Google headquarters, the Pentagon could be covered. Google_headquarters_solar_panels en Flickr: ¡Intercambio de fotos!

Drees, it pertains mainly to power companies that sell electricity, and would be requesting public land to build large scale projects. It does not affect people who are generating their own power.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Isn't that exactly what I said? The first post (and all subsequent posts until mine) do not mention this and therefore lead you into thinking that you can't build any solar project at all for the next two years.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roofs of public buildings can be used, this is only one of many but it is the biggest.
    Australian Made Solar Power To Touchdown at Adelaide Airport
    (Rundle Mall is about 1/4 mile long, but you would have known that.)

And one on the bus station to run a free electric bus service. Free power from the sun in a free bus ride.
    All-Electric, Solar-Powered, Free Bus!!! | EcoGeek

At the Adelaide Show-grounds, just outside the city centre.
    Solar boost for Adelaide showgrounds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

What about solar trees?
    The Original Solar Trees (from Adelaide) : TreeHugger

On the roof of a museum?
    Solar City Case Study: Adelaide, Australia

and the art gallery, even Parliament House!!
    Tackling Climate Change: South Australia's Greenhouse Strategy

9. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We've already lost this battle if we expect anything positive to come from Mr. Bush. If every politician were in the mold of Mr. Bush the year 2050 would be hilarious. Every privately owned building will have solar panels that will produce the majority of the electricity because commercial energy will just be tooooooo expensive. And the White House and the Congress will have to light candles because the government will not have enough money to pay its light bill.
    What do you expect from a guy that can only get out of a whole by digging even further?

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Patsparks, thank you for the links! :)

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The projects that are being proposed are almost certainly CSP, not PV. CSP is considerably cheaper than PV, is currently more efficient, and provides the ability to produce dispatchable power (via thermal storage in molten salts). Unfortunately, it doesn't scale down well at all (yet anyways). There's nothing wrong with PV, it makes a lot of sense, esp at the individual level, but CSP offers a very good option to utilities to offset carbon emissions. Particularly if these plants are backed-up with NG we could get rid of a LOT of coal fired plants. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Of course there will be environmental impacts, but CSP impacts will be substantially less than BAU energy extraction and production impacts.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The issue is the government decided to stop doing their job because it got busy. It's identical to a person going to get a permit to install a solar panel on their roof and getting told to come back in two years since the part time guy filing the permit is overworked. This is a common problem with bad leadership.

The issue at hand is not environmental protection. That is already required by law. If their are too many plants, or some of them are not enviornmentally sound, then REJECT the permit so the company can fix the problem or determine that it needs to be abandoned. Stopping work is not putting the environment first.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree.

This isn't an environmental issue, it's a bureaucratic issue. And the bureaucrats don't want the plants.

14. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As I remember Jimmy Carter did green the white house based on 1976 technology and Ronald Regan ripped everything out...
    story of our lives
    Froley

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep.

But I'd go a lot farther than Carter did. And as it was happening I'd remind people of Carter's foresight and Reagan's short-sightedness.