1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush pleased with progress in Iraq

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 2 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]342715[/snapback]</div>
    BS.

The absence of your outrage speaks volumes.

You'd rather not tolerate this "disruption" (you know, "disruption" as in an opposing viewpoint you don't want to hear, and try to effectively silence... :rolleyes: ), but you're somehow totally "neutral" against your fellow country men and women, and their ultimate sacrifices thereof, being used in shameless propaganda.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]342672[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have the same problem with anti-abortion protesters standing at intersections and holding up signs depicting aborted fetuses? If you have a problem with one, you should have a problem with the other.

3. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]342774[/snapback]</div>
    So you approve of using your dead countrymen/women in times of war as political propaganda?

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]342733[/snapback]</div>
    As does the absence of your outrage at the people who label anyone with even slightly left-of-far-right political leanings "Anti-American".

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]342777[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like you approve of using our dead countrymen/women as political propaganda too.

Wow, what a sad lot.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]342776[/snapback]</div>
    I approve of neither. Just as I wouldn't approve of proponents of the war using their names/pictures to further their agenda.

And you?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]342783[/snapback]</div>
    Patience, Grasshopper. All has been revealed.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]342784[/snapback]</div>
    This, I must agree upon.

I then, along with anyone who does not support the use of our dead countrymen/women in times of war for intentional, egregious, propaganda, implore the moderators of PriusChat to remove such post out of respect for those whom have given the ultimate sacrifice.

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]342794[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like I found some common ground with Squid. Should I keep an eye out for a bolt of lightning? Or does this mean we can safely go out for a beer if I'm ever in Tampa? :)

Though, I'm going to appeal directly to the OP to remove the names. As someone to the left-of-center, I'd be appalled if Bush & Co used the names of the victims to further their agenda. I can be no less appalled when we use them.

Out of respect for them & their families, please remove the names.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 2 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]342733[/snapback]</div>
    I'm wise enough to choose my battles and also to know when my actions will have no consequences. I'm not a political expert nor do I claim to be...besides, how do you know that I'm not active in other ways (either by leveraging my financial strength, or with my physical presence)...?

Frankly, I think the majority of us are already so convinced of the correctness of our views that the "propaganda" you refer to only preaches to the choir.

I think that here, if anywhere, we ought to be able to drop our defensiveness and preconceptions. And then, if we choose, we can always raise them again later...

You're mistaking my defense of process with neutrality.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 1 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]342232[/snapback]</div>
    That's it exactly. Bush and Cheney and the rest of the gang stand to make a boatload of money for that war they started. Or to paraphrase the Garret Morris baseball player from SNL "War been bery bery good to me". Bush wasn't born on June 6 of 1966 was he? I mean, get the sheeple out there to not only vote for him twice but also send their children to the other side of the world to get blown up. What an incredible feat of legerdemain.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]342810[/snapback]</div>
    I put them there out of respect, at least they have a name instead of being number 79 of 105.

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 2 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]342810[/snapback]</div>
    Uh oh...
    [smile]

I, too, agree with our tentacled friend.

Listing the names may have, upon further thought, crossed the line. I didn't think so originally, but now...well...

These people gave the last measure of their devotion for their country, after all. I'm just now pondering this further...experiencing feelings of anger and gratitude, both...and powerlessness, too.

On the other hand, BerylOctet, I can see why you would. If you hadn't listed the names, it might have not incited a discussion like this.

Perhaps a third choice might be for us all to keep in mind the degree of respect to which this subject should be accorded, and moderate our discussion in such a fashion.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll chime in with my two cents here...

Posting the names as a political statement is crass and disgusting. Posting them to honor the lives sacrificed for our country, on the other hand, is great. Beryl, you said you posted them there out of respect, but i would say it was more geared towards making a political point. "Bush pleased with progress in Iraq...October's "progress":"

As others pointed out, perhaps we should try to leave politics out of it when we talk about the dead service -men and -women who have served our country.

I would have no problem what-so-ever with a post that listed the names and said something to the effect of "lets give a moments thought to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their, and our country this month".

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 2 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]342833[/snapback]</div>
    "Posting the names as a political statement is crass and disgusting"

What an absurd statement. What is crass and disgusting is sending those men over there to die in an illegal and immoral war whose only purpose is to enrich coroporations. That is disgusting.

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 2 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]342833[/snapback]</div>
    Removed. I, for one, am praying for less "progress" in the future.

16. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 2 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]342836[/snapback]</div>
    You just don't get it... regardless of why they were over there, using their deaths and names to make a political statement is just as bad. As much as you may think the war is wrong, and we shouldn't be over there (and, for the record, i don't think we should be over there), we are. it's bad, and guess what? there's lots of discussion about it, and people are expressing these opinions. it's well known that this is an unpopular war. Come election day, i'd be willing to bet we'll see a change - whether that change is for the good or bad, i can't say. But to use their sacrifice to further such a political agenda is horrible. i'm truly sorry that you are so dedicated to the party line that you can't see that.

and thank you, Beryl, for doing the right thing.

17. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I did not see listing the names as being "crass and disgusting". On the contrary, for me, it transformed the abstract number into reality. It brought home that these are real people.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 2 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]342849[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you; this is a lovely way to put it and actually helps me better understand my own feelings.