1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush ready to gut Endangered Species Act.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Aug 11, 2008.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Very well stated.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunately, Manipulators come at both ends of the political spectrum. Some projects were canceled/delayed because of trumped up environmental concerns (Snail Darter anyone?) Many businesses deserve to be stopped in their tracks, not because what they do is bad, but they do it as destructively as possible (WV coal mining).

Sadly, Environmental Organizations and Commercial businesses that work together get the job done seemlessly....and with no media coverage. The smarter businesses have learned that coordinating with the environment is ultimately more profitable than fighting.....but not near as fun as combating the other side in public. Very fortunately, a lot of the cooperative efforts are happening....silently.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is very evident throughout the history of our society when and where those regulations are upheld with teeth and education.

This whole deal makes me sick and as such I have avoided replying thus far. I'm tired of ignorant people running the country and our lives.....

4. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm much more optimistic. Lousy executive branch decisions and initiatives have always been a constant and will continue to be. What has happened is that states and communities are bypassing the federal government and setting their own environmental agendas. California is clearly better than the US executive branch for initiating good (and a few bad) efforts to fight pollution. The better air that I breath is probably more due to CA gov. than the US gov. Same story with solar power. I really belive that the net outcome of trying to gut the ESA will be not what everyone expects at first thought. (i.e. Rather than gutting the ESA, what will happen is the federal government will cede more power to the states and communities unexpectedly.)

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'm hoping that this will be delayed with feet dragging, delays, whatever until the current doofus is out of office. The GOP can see the writing on the wall. They're scrambling to get as much as they can......Endangered Species Act toothless, cheap off shore leases, I'm sure they have a shopping list of greed and self-interest.

Maybe California won't have to secede after all.

[​IMG]

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it wasn't completely tongue-in-cheek. Unregulated capitalism is as bad as communism (which has a horrid environmental record). My point is there must be regulation. Yes, there has to be balance. I'm big on that, that's why I'm a centrist and dislike both parties (though I do dislike the republicans more these days). The private sector must be regulated, however, because its participants act soley in their best interest and often in their short-term best interest. DogFriend pointed out two good examples of why that's true. I also don't like unions (for similar reasons really) so I'm not just picking on "bidness". Labour is just a guilty. They're all human institutions afterall... so you know they'll suck. :)

Depends on how carbon intensive your diet is... ;)

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Grrrr....I had just typed out a long treatise on why both parties suck, but the browser went crazy and lost it all.

Regulation is needed because people are basically greedy. But too much regulation becomes bureaucracy and grinds everything to a halt. Balance is needed, not political wars.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aye, that's 'boot reet, mate. ;)

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed! ;)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And if you wanted to make any comment on the new act, you can forget it. They're not interested.

"The Fish and Wildlife Service suddenly decided to stop accepting public comments on proposed changes to the Endangered Species Act last December. Andrew Wetzler, the director of NRDC's Endangered Species Project, noticed this earlier today when he was poring over the text of the administration's newest proposal to sabotage the ESA. Here's the passage that caught his eye:
    "ADDRESSES: Submit your comments or materials concerning this proposed rule in one of the following ways:
    (1) Through the Federal eRulemaking Portal at redirect. Follow the instructions on the website for submitting comments.
    (2) By U.S. mail or hand-delivery to Public Comment Processing, Attention: 1018-AT50, Division of Policy and Directives Management, US Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 North Fairfax Drive, Suite 222, Arlington, VA 22203. We will not accept e-mail or faxes. We will post all comments on redirect. This generally means that we will post any personal information you provide us (see the Public Comments section below for more information)."
    As he notes, it's standard practical for federal agencies to accept comments by e-mail or fax (heck, even the EPA is still doing it).

Wetzler comments: "Regardless of the reason, one thing is clear to me. The combination of (1) no e-mail comments; (2) a miserly 30-day comment period; and (3) no public hearings signals loud and clear that the Fish and Wildlife Service is not interested in listening to the public—especially about controversial moves like their proposal to fundamentally change the way wildlife is protected under the Endangered Species Act—they are interested in ramming through predetermined results."

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Long live the Tazmanian Fruit Bat

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Spotted owl habitat slashed.

"The Bush administration has decided the northern spotted owl can get by with less old growth forest habitat as it struggles to make its way off the threatened species list.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Tuesday that the federal forest land designated as critical habitat for the owl in Washington, Oregon and Northern California would be cut by 23 percent, a reduction of 1.6 million acres. Critical habitat is a requirement of the Endangered Species Act and offers increased protections against logging.

Research shows that spotted owl numbers are dropping by 4 percent annually as a result of logging, wildfires and an invasion of its habitat by the barred owl, a more aggressive East Coast cousin that migrated across Canada and has been working its way south.

Conservation groups said the critical habitat designation and a new plan for restoring owl populations were contrary to the advice of leading scientists and crafted to fulfill a Bush administration promise to the timber industry to increase logging."

I guess the spotted owl should consider itself lucky it's only living in old growth forests and not on top of potential oil fields.

14. rusty houndog

rusty houndog mountain rider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, "The Public Sector" is only good for setting objectives for the private sector, the unions are all out for some amorphous self benefit, and the private sector is quite efficient.

What the private sector is efficient at is overcharging for EVERYTHING the public sector has been highly efficient at providing. For example take Medicaid and Medicare. Since we have introduced privatized drug policies the average cost of drugs for members of those private drug "benefits" has risen far over the usual inflation rate.

For example, take the VA hospital system. The costs for operating VA hospitals and providing superior care over any private hospital is about as low as can be reasonably expected even with the mandates to privatize drug acquisition. Luckily, the VA can bargain for cheap prices under contracts with drug providers, unlike the Medicare system.

For example, take military activity. The private sector has managed to raise the cost of providing military protection so high it has created a whole new industry; the Private Army industry. Charging ten or twenty times as much as the official, PUBLIC military, they have managed to practically single handedly bankrupt our military budget in addition to creating a supremely dangerous situation for ordinary citizens.

Without public intervention we would still be using slave labor in our industries. Oops, slave labor is still being used in our clothing and agriculture industries; just one more of the unplanned benefits of deregulation.
    The private sector even has evolved a highly efficient, foolproof, super low wage system; hire the undocumented.

Without public intervention we would still be troubled with coat hanger abortions. But just wait a while; there are private sector advocates for a return to those days.

The main reason poor countries are poor isn't because of the public sector; it's because of the rapacious deeds of the private sector, not the least of which is the IMF!

It would be nice if you got your facts correct. Although;

"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot but
    a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie is a crook."
    Bertolt Brecht

==============================================================================================
    Originally Posted by tripp [​IMG]
    Remember, regulation is bad for the people. The private sector knows best. :rolleyes:
    I know it was stated somewhat tongue in cheek, but there needs to be a balance. The private sector has proven quite efficient in many areas when there is adequate incentive to do so. The public sector is painfully inefficient and ineffective, though when it devises appropriate incentives for the private sector, can achieve desired objectives.

But just be careful how regulation is accomplished. As per my prior example, if any project that produces incremental CO2 can be shut down because it "threatens" polar bears due to "global warming", that is a pretty draconian public policy. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, you couldn't build a road, put up a building, or for that matter, cut a fart without violating the law.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godiva [​IMG]
    No. But it reduces the disturbance and impact. What I believe is that without these laws in place and enforced there would be even worse damage and destruction done by the private sector in the pursuit of profit.

Capitalism isn't about sensitivity to the environment or consideration of the public. If it was, it wouldn't be called Capitalism

15. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Huh?

16. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    An owl is an owl. There's no point in reducing the quality of life for people just because this one has spots. This is rediculous. It's not like elimiating tigers by cutting down their habitat.

The spotted owl is on the way out anyway. It's being replaced by a stronger family of owls. Evolution happens.

Wikipedia.

"The Spotted Owl is similar in appearance to the Barred Owl but has cross-shaped markings on the underparts whereas the Barred Owl is alternately barred on the breast and streaked on the belly. Barred Owls are larger and grayer than Spotted Owls. In recent years the California and Northern subspecies of Spotted Owl have been displaced by Barred Owls, which are more aggressive, have a broader diet and occur in more varied habitats"

Why would anyopne care if a particular owl has spots? Are they especially delicious? Can I grind them up and run my car on them?

We can live without spotted owls and snail darters.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That would be the same VA system that will not allow voter registration for it's patients.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you put it that way, the same could be said of humans...'on their way out.'

19. rusty houndog

rusty houndog mountain rider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please, some documentation. I would like to use whatever you have that proves it to arrange for whoever is trying to interfere with those VA patient's rights to be put into the slammer. Is that the 14th amendment and subsequent Federal and state legislation they would be screwing with?

20. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How true. Species die out and the Earth keeps on chugging along. It gets warmer and colder and the earth just keeps on going as species rise an fall. That's probably what'll keep on happening until our sun conks out.

BTW - We could stand to lose about 4 or 5 billion people. Don't ask me which ones or how, but we do have too many people on this rock.