1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush's latest signing statement allows government to open your mail

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 5, 2007.

1. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jan 5 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]371253[/snapback]</div>
    Lump me in with the bothered. It's an ugly trend in the presidency, the use of signing statements to change laws and avoid the veto. From wiki:
    >>Until the 1980s, with some exceptions, signing statements were generally triumphal, rhetorical, or political proclamations and went mostly unannounced. Until Ronald Reagan became President, only 75 statements had been issued. Reagan and his successors George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton have produced 247 signing statements among the three of them. By the end of 2004, George W. Bush had issued over 108 signing statements containing more than 505 constitutional challenges. [6] As of October 4, 2006, he had signed 134 signing statements challenging 810 federal laws...George H. W. Bush challenged 232 statutes through signing statements during four years in office and Clinton challenged 140 over eight years. <<

Vetos:
    Reagan: 39 GHWB: 29 BC: 26 GWB: 1

I don't elect the president to write laws (certainly not one with GWB's grasp of grammar); that's the job of Congress and the Senate. The pres is supposed to sign the law and faithfully execute it, or veto it right at the start. Hopefully, the new Dem majority will enact some legislation to curtail this abuse of power.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 5 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]371243[/snapback]</div>
    * Yeah then I can sell the Ocean front property in Arizona I have.. ;) :lol: :lol:

* I see alot of Kerry stickers on the prius's lately <_<

* You will also notice quite a few radicals are also medicated actors in CA.. :rolleyes:

I think dbermanmd's question listed as post # 2, was a good one.
    Whats your answer, without swinging out into either left or right field?

[​IMG] Look it's the Waaaambulance, waiting for the next call. ;)

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 5 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]371254[/snapback]</div>
    I guess the Dems winning control of both House's has to be in your opinion the saddest event of the new year :rolleyes: I almost agree with you.

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 5 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]371241[/snapback]</div>
    Jeeze Beryl, it was an early morning attempt at humor ala Hal Turner (the guy advocating congressional assignation) which I thought was clear by my disclaimer that it was only my opinion (the same disclaimer he uses after riling up the forces). For goodness sake, we have enough problems without anyone actually taking my imitation neocon foolish post as actual fact. Let's be clear. It was a failed attempt at sarcasm. Let's consider it a 'signing statement'. My bad! I promise to be good the rest of the day (only). MJ

5. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MS said...
    Barry O. said
    Note that the righties deny global warming... So, quickie quiz

Which state will be under water first???

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 5 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]371286[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, some days the sarcasm detector is out of whack, this must be one of them. I'm all for riling folks up, to quote Mr. Tull, I can't make you feel but I might make you think.

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 5 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]371226[/snapback]</div>
    The authorities already knew about at least some of the suicide bombers and had been warned by the CIA that an imminent attack was in progress. Knowing all of that, still, they did nothing about it so being able to read everyone's mail wouldn't have improved the chances of Condoleeza stepping off of the party wagon long enough to deal with a known terrorist threat. This little signing statement is just another way to let us all know that the bushies can f**k with us whenever they want so we'd better not disagree with them. The good little germans, er, neocons who still think that bush is doing a good job and rail against our even bringing up the issue should read up on their preWWII Germany history.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 5 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]371288[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully California :lol:

9. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    dbermanmd just remember the proper salute using your right hand the is palm flat with your arm straight raised at about a 45 degree angle.

The law that was passed by congress is not supposed to be reinterpreted by the president just enforced if the president does not like the law he has tow choices veto it or challange it. The judicial branch of our government is supposed to interpret the law using the constitution and previous rulings for the justification.

Bush was elected President not Emperor.
    By the way there is a country that you might be happier in it is called Russia, identity cards and not being able to express an opinion, you might get poisoned. Looks very inviting you should check it out.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 5 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]371288[/snapback]</div>
    Ummmm . . . Since we are making very generalized statements . . .

Orlando FL - Elevation: 112 ft / 34 m
    http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Orlando.html

Sacramento CA – Elevation: 17 ft / 5 m

http://www.csus.edu/envs/Area/sacramento.htm

;)

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 5 2007, 04:12 AM) [snapback]371184[/snapback]</div>
    "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." -- President Bill Clinton

"The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people" -- President Bill Clinton

"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees." -- President Bill Clinton

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say." -- President Bill Clinton

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Jan 5 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]371338[/snapback]</div>
    Prove to me where the ability to open first class mail did NOT exist prior. It is within FISA and the prior mail bill.

And are you saying the Dems who voted in favor of this totally missed this point - they are that dumb??

13. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's hard to know what's more terrifying: the government's increasing fascism or the public's embrace of it.

Either frighten me much more than anything a terrorist could pull off. The only thing a terrorist can do is wreck property and kill a few people, something that mere weather, disease and the national highway system accomplish every day on a scale that makes terrorism look like the work of amateurs.

Amateur terrorists don't scare me, but a fascist government and a compliant people corrupts and devastates an entire society, and that scares the willys out of me.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

14. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 5 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]371187[/snapback]</div>
    You want ANSWERS! Sorry, no can do, I have decided to switch to the Left and merely whine, snivel and criticize than actually do something like plan, think or look for answers. That stuff hurts my head!

Wildkow

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jan 5 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]371382[/snapback]</div>
    Amateur terrorists? Are those the same ones that learned to fly jets into buildings or are those the one developing nuclear bombs in Iran?

Our current government becoming "Fascist" does not scare me as much as the citizens here who enable those that seek to kill us.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 5 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]371199[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It makes what should be long-term planning seem terribly arbitrary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 5 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]371388[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you should check yourself into therapy, and discuss your issues of paranoia...?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, now; I honestly don't believe that you think this is true.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 5 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]371221[/snapback]</div>
    How's this for staying on topic?

I received this letter in March '05.

[attachmentid=6160]

When did the president sign the signing statement??? :huh: :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 5 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]371221[/snapback]</div>
    By looking at the DHS opened envelope, some will automatically jump to conspiracy theorist conclusions an yell “ILLEGAL, UNWARRANTED INVASION OF PRIVACY.â€

There is more to the story than what only an image shows.

Do I feel my privacy was invaded? No.

Do I feel like this was an unwarranted, illegal, misguided case of big brother bumbling around and snooping in my stuff? No.

Actually, I'm glad DHS opened the envelope. :eek:
    It proves to me that they are on their game. :)
    There is some international intrigue which goes along with the story of the envelope . . . which was mailed to me from a US citizen within the USA.

DHS and Co. ain't just sittin' on their butts and sniffin' through random stuff . . . at least not in this case. ;)

Attached Files:

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 5 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]371410[/snapback]</div>
    I do. US citizens who are American Hegemonists are the greatest danger in my opinion. Those that do not appreciate the true threats we face - enablers of terror - scare me - wish they worked in the WTC on 9/11 on the lower floors obviously.

Whatever.

19. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am so glad you are so willing to give up a freedom that has been and is allegedly being fought for in Iraq.

If they weren't such lazy m'f**k**s. They could have X-Rayed the envelope to see that there was nothing inside of consequence.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear @ Jan 5 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]371428[/snapback]</div>
    And that is where your ignorance is showing through . . .

If they were such lazy m'f**k**s – as you put it - physically opening the envelope was NOT the lazy way of doing things - X-raying the envelope would have been, and still, that wouldn't have identified the contents.

What makes you think DHS didn't scan the envelope first? :huh: Oh, that's right . . . the ignorance you so aptly demonstrated by jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. :rolleyes: