1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush's latest signing statement allows government to open your mail

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 5 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]371550[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe that's why the NeoCons hate him so much.

He wasn't fascist enough AND he had sex.

Whereas Bush is the antithesis of Clinton. (Antithesis...that's for those of you that read. The rest can look it up.)

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 7 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]372056[/snapback]</div>
    If you're going to use me as an example, please find a post where I provide such quotes. In that thread you use as your example, I provide several quotes from people who talk about Iraqi WMDs, in support of my position that nearly everyone agreed that Saddam had WMDs before the start of the Iraqi war.

I also provide a link to an article on Snopes.com that analyzes the quotes I use, complete with the context, and that provides the cite to the original quote. That is entirely different from just throwing out quotes from years ago; indeed, the sub-topic in that thread is ABOUT those "years ago".

I realize it is the style here to simply engage in cheap shots and ad hominem attacks, so this is pretty much par for the course. I hope that readers will actually look at the references before simply accepting the attack as valid.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 6 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]371725[/snapback]</div>
    That's my understanding also. The only good thing about them is that it puts this Administration on record in regards to what they think about that particular legislation. Forewarned is forearmed, so I would expect Congress, if the signing statement is radically different than their intent, to pass additional legislation or sue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 6 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]371725[/snapback]</div>
    I agree here also. For the most part, the signing statements are an attempt on the part of the Executive to exercise more control over the Legislature. We have moved from a strong Legislative branch to a strong Executive branch over the past 100 years or so, and these tug-of-war battles between the two are nothing new.

But I would rather see the more traditional measures taken that are enumerated, such as vetos, working with the members of Congress to pass different legislation, etc. I suspect President Bush wants to leave office with never having issued a veto as part of a "legacy". Other recent Presidents have used similar techniques to short-circuit the legislative process, and where Congress can prevent it, they should do so.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 7 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]372161[/snapback]</div>
    You entirely missed the point of my link to your post. I was pointing that out as someone whining about being (*gasp*) critical about George W. Admittedly, someone else (mis)quoted Clinton, but funny how he still seems to be fair game while the criticizing current administration is "so passe".

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]372193[/snapback]</div>
    I take responsibility only for what I do or say. I am not responsible for any one else's posts.

It is unfair to mis-characterize what I said, provide a link to it knowing that many won't follow that link, and then to let it lie that way. This should be the paragraph where I graciously thank you for correcting the error and accept your apology for the mistake, but I cannot do that given the format of your response. So let me say that I'm glad you were able to get at least the information that it wasn't ME who mis-quoted Clinton, even if you can't bring yourself to admit you made a mistake.

If you can so quickly mis-characterize my position and my actions, how can I trust you on your opinion on someone like President Bush? If you are not fair with people you have a "sort of" relationship with in a discussion forum, how can I value your treatment of people you don't know?

6. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 7 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]372288[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, yes, another trip to Neocon Bizarro World, where everything is a mirror image of reality!

Meanwhile, back here on Earth, YOU are the one who mis-characterized what *I* said. Don't worry, I realize on Neocon Bizarro World, mistakes are never made, Brownie is doing a heckuva job, we're winning the war in Iraq, chocolate rations are up!, and everything would be peaches and cream if it wasn't for those darn liberals! - so I'm not going to even dream of expecting a justly-deserved apology from you.

If you want to see someone who "quickly mis-characterizes position and actions", I suggest you look into this invention called "a mirror".

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 7 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]372330[/snapback]</div>

Well, if you were not referring to me when you said this:

Then I do apologize.

However, when I click the link you provide, it takes me to MY post in that thread. When I visit that thread, I see that my post link, that little "27" in the corner, does indeed end with the same "371814" identifier that you provided in your link. And if you can point me to anyone else who posted quotes from, let's see how you said it ... "some guy who was President six years ago (or better yet, some guy who lost the election two years ago)" ... in that thread I would be interested in seeing it. Because when I look at that thread, I'm the only one who provided those quotes. And I provided the context, and a cite to an independent analysis, and even stated that the quotes had to be taken IN CONTEXT.

So is it unreasonable that I would think you are talking about ME when you link to MY post and quote MY material in a post in that same thread?

Just WHO were you referring to when you linked to my post?

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 7 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]372137[/snapback]</div>
    Nice map. Fun to play around with. At 6 meters, I'm high and dry. :D

You are not looking very close if you say, “The only thing gone in California is the Sacramento river area where the Capitol is.â€

Try zooming in on the San Francisco Bay area. Gone are major chunks of the Silicon Valley and other heavily populated areas around the bay. San Francisco and Oakland airports, The Port of Oakland, Stanford University, Napa Valley, The City of Stockton, Interstate 5 and 80 . . . etc, etc.

The “easy†fix for Northern California would be a dam and locks at the Golden Gate (the name of the narrow waterway under the bridge). That is the only drainage to the ocean from the valley and the bay.

Then we have Southern California. No easy fix there. Massive population areas in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego under water . . . along with the ports of LA and Long Beach, San Diego Airport, etc, etc.

My guess is that the economic loss is more in California. People displaced would be a toss-up. And Florida definitely loses more land . . . but hey . . . most of it was swamp land anyways. (not that rising ocean levels are an improvement. ;) )

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 7 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]372080[/snapback]</div>
    You are right. When I look at that link I don't find that quote. It maybe that they did not find that particular quote/interview/show noteworthy enough to mention. However, I find it in plenty of others links so I will keep looking and post when I find some other type of confirmation. Right now I have the Boston Globe and USA Today as sources but can't seem to find an archive of either to post the link.
    I posted these quotes and articles to show that my favorite saying holds true to form and rather than Bush being the lone President infringing upon our rights that charge can be leveled at others in the past. On both sides of the political spectrum. So once again "The more things change the more they stay the same" continues to hold true. You know I'm right as usual. :p :rolleyes:

Wildkow

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 7 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]372154[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I always wondered why I've never identified with the rightards and that may be it. I identified with Clinton because you can't go through an average stress filled week without some sex. Maybe the repubs ought to take some serious time for introspection and ask themselves why they're letting the evangelical nut cases run the party.

11. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [/b][/quote]

Yes, I was referring to you in the
    part. I was referring to someone else with the
    part, specifically this post which proceeded my post (because it, and defenders of the post, imediately proceeded my post, I felt no need to link to it).

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 7 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]372154[/snapback]</div>
    this is the kind of arrogance that deserves a kick in the head.

13. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]372473[/snapback]</div>
    Hee! I love being right.

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]372473[/snapback]</div>
    You've displayed that kind of arrogance yourself so I guess we'll have to raffle off who gets to mete out that punishment to you, my monochromatic friend.

15. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 8 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]372483[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I just noticed you're from Northhampton... Place is a DIVE. Your po-dunk police force gave me a ticket for parking my bike under an expired meter for no less than 10 minutes after expiration. For revenge, we rolled through town revving our engines loudly, did burnouts at stoplights, and in general, annoyed the local townspeople with light hooliganism on a nice summer day.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]372493[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhh, civil disobedience at its finest...
    [laughing]

How childish.

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 05:14 PM) [snapback]372617[/snapback]</div>
    Yet loads of fun and effective! ;)

18. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]372493[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious how long a cop is supposed to wait around before writing a ticket? To me it seems pretty cut and dry: expired=ticket, not expired=no ticket. I guess that's too simple in a society where it seems everyone has become a victim.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]372623[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm glad you found it fulfilling.

Effective? Not.

If you really wanted to take on the cops (and not irritate the civilians) you should have done something, ummmm, how shall I say it...that wasn't so easy and safe. I do not know, let the air out of a patrol vehicle's tires, or like that...

As it is, you probably pissed off a bunch of people who had nothing directly to do with what happened. What a REBEL!!!

Next: He'll smoke a cigaret, without reading the warning label first!!!!

A scofflaw, indeed.

20. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]372493[/snapback]</div>
    Wah wah wah I'm a victim, hear me whine.

And yeah, I'm proud to come from The most liberal medium-sized city in the U.S.!