1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bush's latest signing statement allows government to open your mail

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]372493[/snapback]</div>
    Burn outs are revenge? I guess that's RW logic for you, wearing out *your* tire is revenge on someone else? Too funny, thanks for the chuckles.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 8 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]372731[/snapback]</div>
    Here, let me expand your little presumptious mind, my highest of functioning autistic organism:

Hooliganism as such serves several purposes:

1. It makes people cringe, and think amongst the lines of what beangirl posted, "oh how childish!, how immature!, what arseholes!, jerks!, etc., etc., etc. The point is, it effectively harrasses a bunch of people.

2. Bad press: there's a good chance, some of those irate people will tell tell their friends, "Yeah, that's a nice town, but there are too many jerk bikers there...

3. Increased risk of personal injury: by performing such stunts, the risk increases that either myself, or a fellow hooligan, might lose control, and the bike goes flying into some pedestrian on the sidewalk.

4. Increased risk of damaged property: Same as #3, minus the human component obviously.

...now, was that really worth the $10 ticket, which, MIND YOU, is nothing but a mechanism of pure REVENUE generation (it's even more egregious as the parking lot was just about totally empty with the exception of about 10 bikes from our group)... Instead of being "human", and giving several minutes of leeway, no, their meter maids were ready to jump the second time ran out, to simply line their pockets in this most childish of all "adult" games...

...same sort of concept applies when I see minivan soccer mom pulled over on the highway for doing something like 80 in a 55... I sort of laugh and punch it well into the 150 range knowing fully well I could easily be arrested for reckless driving/driving to endanger, etc., yet the State only managed to peg Mrs. Stubenmeyer for what, a hunderd or two and some insurance points?... :lol:

you see, folks like you have been tenderized into submission from day 1. Most of you are law abiding citizens that do exactly what you're told, part of this vast faceless crowd who will never be remembered in any respect, except for maybe some posting somewhere in a vast archive somewhere. Nothing more than hampsters within the numerous wheels of a vast mechanism of economic and behavioral control.

So sleep tight, the world that has been constructed for you, will likely be here tomorrow to keep you comfortable, sedate, and quiet, until you die (for which arguably, in many respects, you already are...).

;)

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]372749[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, that's been a topic of great debate on some of the biker boards I visit. The general biker community thinks running is absolutely stupid. I do too, but it's usually the folks who have stolen bikes, or some arrest warrant somewhere that tend to run, or, just flat out stupid enough to try it.

The only reason I'd ever run, is if I were in some situation where if I got caught, I was going to be thrown in jail, and legitimately had something worth losing...

Although the most annoying thing about this law, is that a lot of cops who pull sportbikers over (and this has happened to me once), start off with a very presumptious position of, "You looked like you were going to run...". That particular officer almost ran me into the guardrail when he pulled me over, bike was sandwiched between his car and the guardrail, my left mirror, only about 3 inches from his passenger driver's door. i got into a big argument with him by saying, "Oh, so you just assume everyone on a sportbike is going to run?" He then angrily proceded to ask me for my lic. and reg., and said he pulled me over because my plate was bent up too high, I was like, "Really? I can see it from 50 yards in a seated position...", to which he blew up started yelling about how I could argue it in front of a judge if I wanted to, to which I replied, totally calm, "Sure, I'd welcome more of the experience, I'm no stranger to fighting traffic citations..."

Curiously, he only gave me a warning and torched on out of there... :D

Don't get me wrong though, I know you're a cop, and I'd have to say about 85% of cops are cool, and don't pull BS tactics like that, but there's always a few in every bunch, just as the ahole sportbikers ruin it for everyone else... :(

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]372856[/snapback]</div>
    Cringe? Not at all. I usually hope they're running Goodyear or Michelin since I have stock in both companies, so I'm the guy giving you that big thumbs-up sign from the sidewalk. Burn 'em down to the cords is my motto. Thanks again for the chuckles.

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 8 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]372859[/snapback]</div>
    I was really surprised to see that FHP was siezing bikes thats the first I had heard of it. After doing some checking it was started down in metro-dade due to all the kids on sport bikes running from the troopers.
    The troopers can still pursue speeders I think they are the only ones left that can.... We can only if its a armed bank robbery, armed kidnapping/abduction, armed muder suspect, notice the "armed" part. thats due to the liability factors. Even then they just call in the getto bird, I mean the heliocopter and they follow from the air while we hang back and wait..

I mostly give warnings unless the driver gets an attitude then its the real deal. I think in November I wrote 2 warnings & 0 tickets, December was 7 warnings and 2 tickets.. and thats in the neighborhoods I stay off the main roads as much as possible. You know "out of sight out of mind" :)

a portion of my day today was locating a guy wandering around for 3 hrs. in a condo complex & a small shopping center in nothing but a pair of womens bikini panties :blink: :lol: :lol:
    He was drunk when we found him that explained the underwear, he put them on and thought he was wearing his shorts when he left home... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]372466[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I stand corrected. I apologize for misunderstanding.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 8 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]372902[/snapback]</div>
    Dammit, don't do that or else I'll have to respect you! :)

9. leong1234

leong1234 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 5 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]371250[/snapback]</div>
    At first glance, I thought the map was about Florida being divided up for the benefit of France (Frances), China (Charlies) and Russia (Ivan) :)

Also, according to optimists in CA, after the next big quake, everything east of CA will go into the Atlantic ...

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jan 8 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]372384[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, nope. No 'massive' population losses in San Diego. More like minor relocations. And the people east of Hwy 5 suddenly have great ocean views.

I'm high and dry too.

Mission bay has expanded. The mobile home park is gone, then again, the city already kicked them out and then hasn't done a damned thing to develop the land. That will be a nice, big bay. No, we won't lose any ports, but our present ports will expand.

Lindbergh Field is gone. Oh, well. We still have Montgomery, Gillespie and Miramar.

Point Loma is now an island. Real estate will probably go up there as it will be the new "Coronado". They'll build a Point Loma bridge and charge a toll. Or bring back the ferrys.

Silver strand is gone and most of Coronado is under water. But I'm high and dry. So are my parents. And so are most of the industrial and businesses. 6 meters doesn't wipe out San Diego. It would be inconvenient, but not catostrophic.

It doesn't even effect La Jolla. Mostly the land west of Highway 5. There isn't that much industrial and technology there. General Dynamics along Hwy 5 downtown is gone. It's pretty much and eyesore and not much of a loss. And it's not like whatever is being done there can't be done somewhere else.

Residential, restaurants. Oh, and quite a few hotels are gone. Such a shame. But they'll just rebuild them.

Balboa park, the Zoo, the Old Globe, all just fine. Even Downtown is fine. All of the government buildings are OK except for the County Tax Building (too bad) and the butt ugly Convention Centery (good riddance).

We will lose Bellmont Park and the oldest wooden roller coaster in the United States. Ce la vie.

Now, I haven't taken a good look at Los Angeles but I'll bet Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Six Flags, Universal Studios, all fine. And they'll keep both of their airports. LAX is fine. So is John Wayne. L.A. does lose quite a bit along State route 1 and San Pedro. I'm not sure what's there. Shipyards? And Huntington Beach loses some. Thank goodness the Huntington Library is not there. But I suspect the Getty's Villa may be a loss. I'm not exactly sure where it is. I'm not that familiar with L. A. topography.

Now the Sacramento Valley will become the San Joaquin Bay. But as was mentioned, that might be mitigated with large dikes at the San Francisco Bay entrance. In fact, that is an elegant solution to saving San Francisco. Marin, Napa and Sonoma are just fine. If not for the dikes, San Mateo, Alameda and Santa Clara would get the worst. San Francisco would lose low lying waterfront too. But the city of Sacramento will be just fine.

I'm sure the State of California will be paying for the dikes as I doubt the Federal Government will be giving us any disaster relief. Florida will get all of the money.

We'll actually have more natural bays. This might open up other areas to be major ports and boost the economy. Those may be places displaced businesses may choose to build and people choose to relocate. Another boost to the economy.

A six meter rise is what? 10 feet?

Not like having 33% of your state under water, though.

Might be a good time for California to secede from the Union.

11. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Godiva, last time I was in the area, I believe the Navy depot is there, just south of Long Beach, am I right? If so, that would make the beginings of a great reef, right? Finally some real good from that military hardware. :) Of course there will be a bit of a downside, my wife's neice and husband live on Trinidad Island, but they allready know they are more than welcome to come live with us.

By the way, is this Minnesotan welcome to come visit the new Long Beach Navy Reef? Please? We promise to be good. :lol:

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 18 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]377557[/snapback]</div>
    I can't speak for Long Beach. Not that familiar with the area.

Our San Diego bay will probably still be pretty good. While the silver strand will be under water it won't be that deep so our natural bay will still be pretty protected. And slightly larger.

You are more than welcome to come sailing on the newly expanded Mission Bay. Maybe we'll take a ferry out to Point Loma Island and go up to the Cabrillo Lighthouse to see the whales. Best whale watching is this time of year BTW.

But I'm afraid you'll have to forego staying at the Hotel del Coronado. We'll rent Some Like it Hot and reminisce.