1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Button backlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Beachbummm, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    with the headlights on and the brightness all the way up the button backlights on the dash don't work (park & power buttons) and steering wheel are very dim....any ideas?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These lights are LED's and the OEM ones are very dim. They are not affected by the dash brightness controls. The LED's can be changed for brighter units "or even a change of color", but they are soldered in, and are tiny surface mount devises meaning your soldering skills must be good.

John (Britprius)

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe different in 2004 (?), but in 2008 the power backlight goes out when it is "Ready" and the Park backlight only lights when parked. Steering wheel backlight is rather dim but I've gotten used to where the button is that I need to press without looking.

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks...odd that they burned out on the dash, I wonder if theres a common ground
    you might be right I will check before taking off for work, its still dark...it seem the prk,gear shiffter and power light would stay on so you can find them at night if your head lights are on

5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Most if not all the dashboard illumination is provided by LED which should last a good long time.

Park illuminates when engaged, off when in drive or reverse. There should be illumination behind the gear shift panel. And the power light illuminates orange briefly when first pressed and then off with the dashboard Ready illuminated after that.