1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy 2011 Prius I or 2013 Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by royalplum8, Jan 10, 2020.

1. royalplum8

royalplum8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, I'm new and living in New York, about 90 min. north of NYC. I'm looking for a Gen 3 Prius because of my price range (OTD $10k). I am comparing two:
    • 2011 Prius I with 94,185 miles avl from a Honda dealership, two owner vehicle with low miles, no accident reported, Honda dealership recently replaced tires and pads and rotors - $8,588

• 2013 Prius III with 120,690 miles avl from Toyota dealership, one owner vehicle, one accident reported (front passenger headlight area--scratches evident so the body panels weren't replaced), services regularly at a Toyota dealership, current dealership recently replaced tires, comes with 1yr/12k service - $8985

I drive about 25k a year and age a car quickly so I always buy older cars. Based on this info, is it better to buy a new car (2013) or an older car (2011) with less miles than the older car? Are there advances in Prius from 2011 to 2013 that make the new car worth it? I don't car about the features that chanced (like audio, backup camera).

Or is there a third option? A different car year and # of miles to consider?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to put 1/4 million miles on a car quickly and it's not a mail route, but mostly freeway miles a 2009 Prius is super simple reliable... The early Gen3 models have an EGR system that gets clogged, so it's more maintenance to keep clean / install an oil catch can, to prevent a blown head gasket. The Gen2 on the other hand does it with valve timing, so there's no EGR system maintenance.

That being said if you're committed to a Gen3, then the 2013 is a better option, especially if you can get a price reduction for them not including the 1yr/12K mile service which will be useless by Summer with the type of mileage you drive...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

are you familiar with hybrids? will you be diy'ing. or dealer/local mech repair? it is often difficult to find a good hybrid technician. that kind of mileage may require one.

4. royalplum8

royalplum8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am not familiar and would be bringing to the dealer for repairs. Obviously the less rappers I'd need to do would be preferred. What year/model has best reliability? PriusCamper suggested a 2009.

bisco likes this.
  5. royalplum8

royalplum8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    All helpful suggestions. Thank you! I was only committed to Gen3 because of my budget and an assumption that newer is better. I obviously know very little about the Prius history. But I want to own a Prius and am sticking with older models due to my budget and high mileage (mostly highway) driving.

I found a 1-owner 2009 Touring with 132,300 miles (1 accident in 2009 and damage to front/front-left n 2018) for $6890. At what looks like a mom-pop shop.

Another 1-owner 2009 Touring with 129,455 miles (no accidents/damage reported) for $6736. At a Honda dealership.

Either sound like a potential?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both sound okay if you can get the maintenance/accident records. keep in mind, anything can happen to a 10 year old car, and if you have to take it to a dealer for repairs, it can get really expensive.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... If you're thinking of servicing it at the dealer, it's not going to go well for you... I'd suggest first finding an honest local hybrid mechanic that is familiar with affordable repairs to keep the car going. Then work with that mechanic to find the right Prius for your needs.

Because of PriusChat, it's really easy for people with basic auto repair skills to fix their Prius themself. But if that's not you and you're in a situation where you have to hire someone to do that work, you need to find that person because other than gas, that may be a your greatest expense.

bisco likes this.