1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy 2011 Prius or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TampaBay, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lwhanna4x4

lwhanna4x4 retired

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The early gen ones had a few go out at between 100 to 200 thousand miles. Current generations rarely have one go out. The price is more like $2,200 to $2,400.

Buy a new one and trade at 180,000 miles and you will be okay.:rockon:

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know what you're driving right now, but for the $500 you're trying to negotiate, how much will you spend in weekly in gas waiting to buy a Prius? As far as tactics, you could try multiple email quotes a 4-6 hour radius of where you live. Tell each dealer what you'll spend (stretch the facts), and see what happens. Or you could just forget the whole Prius thing and find a nice Ford Focus and still have money left over from your 23,000 OTD budget. Or you could go to Toyota Certified Pre-Owned and look for a great 2010 Prius like I did and get the whole thing for $20K.

3. Kevin121

Kevin121 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your reply.

At this point, it's almost the "principle" of the matter. I want to know how badly car dealers want to sell me a car.

I want to know that I was able to go as low as possible.

I want the car dealer to make as little amount of money off me as possible.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Our hearts and prayers go out to all those affected by the horrible news coming out of Japan today.

This vehicle is made 100% in Japan according to my window sticker, so you might consider that prices may go up real soon. Supply and demand.

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, with gas prices going up the way they are, about the only vehicle that strategy will work on here pretty soon will be a gas guzzling SUV. Look for all economy vehicle to start sticking closer to MSRP, hybrids especially. If you really want a prius, you may want to make the move now. The dealerships know there is some poor fool walking through the door right behind you in a panic that will be willing to pay what they are asking. Sadly the deals from this past summer have gone...

6. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Kevin, we have quite a few Toyota dealer/sales people in PriusChat. Give a shout out and see who's willing to step up to the dealer plate. Any dealers out there want to take the Kevin Challenge?

7. theodosia

theodosia New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's already getting harder for them to deal. I had a dealer send me an email quoting sticker price as if it's a discount. I told him I'm not travelling to his dealership to pay sticker price, he sent back another email saying something about addendums and sticker price being $1500 discount or something.

Another dealer told me that he can no longer discount the prius. But he gave me a quote that was about $1000 below sticker, and he'll honor that quote. It's about $1000 more than "truecar" is showing as a "good price" which is right where I wanted to be.

I'm hoping to "split the difference" but I'm doubtful. I'm going to test drive today at a couple of dealers. I've never driven a hybrid, and I'm a little nervous. Someone one here compared driving a prius to playing a video game. I don't like video games, and I'm not very good at them.

I want a Prius because I want a hybrid. I want to consume less fuel. So, I'm giving it a chance. I don't see any other affordable hybrids in my area at this time.

Wish me luck!

8. pb83

pb83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    theodosia,

I wish you the best of luck on your test drive and purchase. Let me know how it went.

I've owned GM vehicles my whole life and convinced the wife that we should purchase a 2011 Toyota Prius II. We are waiting to purchase until we receive our tax refund to help with the down payment.

I also never purchase a new car until the last day of the month. I find the dealers are more willing to negotiate at the end of each month.