1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy new tires at 35k? Which is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mudworm, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you got the one on the link. The power button (left) must be pressed and held down for 5-10sec to turn on the unit. If that does not turn the unit on while pluggeded into a USB charger, then it may be DOA. Yap, they are cheap China made. I have almost identical TPMS as the linked one, though from a different seller, they are probably mass-produced in the same factory somewhere in China. I have seen at least a couple dozens of same TPMS sold in AMAZON from $20 to all the way up to $100. Mine was around $30 from Amazon, but it works very well on my winter set of tires without OEM TPMS sensors.

IMG_20190817_114412.jpg

#21 Salamander_King, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    pjksr02 and mudworm like this.
  2. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is it! Great, so the thing is not a fake after all. Looking forward to install them after the tire fix and have constant monitoring!

I love this forum! Always learn something helpful. :)

Raytheeagle and Salamander_King like this.
  3. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I do......three units, to be exact (one in my Tundra...one in my wife's Prius...& one in my Prius) all three work as advertised......as I remember, the unit comes "Turned Off" as shipped.....so plugging in a USB cable does nothing......first turn the unit "On" by holding down the power button for approx. 3 sec. .....the screen should then light/up......then plugging in a USB cable will show a battery icon (upper right corner of screen) in the charge process......hope this helps.....

P.S. .....you guys beat me to it! .....(y)

mudworm and Salamander_King like this.
  4. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never been a fan of Bridgestone tires, based on my experience with Turanza labeled OEM VW Jetta tires (16"), 2009 models. They were loud, had balancing issues, indifferent in wet or dry.

It seems Bridgestone has really improved, in my opinion.

1)Bridgestone Ecopia Plus 16"s (NOT the OEM Ecopias that came on the car!) on my 2015 Leaf are wearing well, are quiet, have decent grip, no issues at all.

2)Bridgestone Ecopia Plus (15"s), OEM on our recently purchased (used) 2018 Prius Two (14k miles) are very quiet, smooth, no balance issues, and getting 58-60mpg in the Dallas/Ft. Worth region, without serious hypermiling. I would buy them again when I need to replace tires.

3) Bridgestone Ecopia Plus (17"s), OEM, on our recently purchased (used) Prius Four Limited (24k miles): Not as quiet as the 15"s, which I would expect with the wider footprint and shorter sidewalls. However, they track well, stay balanced, are wearing well, now that alignment is within spec. I MIGHT change (wheels/tires) to 16"s, as I just don't think the 17"s belong on a Prius. FYI, MPG hovering in the mid 50s.

The Dallas Ft. Worth region highways are mostly concrete, frequently grooved or rough aggregate (country roads). Tire noise is always an issue, especially on a car with minimal attention to sound insulation. The Prius IV is MUCH better than prior generations, but still isn't Lexus quiet. I'm not sure a tire exists that is quiet on these surfaces. On new asphalt, even new smooth concrete, the Ecopia Plus tires on my cars are whisper quiet.

krmcg likes this.
  5. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably too late now, but here goes. Continental TrueContact tires get good ratings from CR, and Tire Rack testing and their crowdsourced ratings. I chose those. They are noticeably, but not profoundly quieter than the Nanoenergy OEM tires, definitely better in snow (although not winter tires by any means), and they are LRR rated. I saw no change in MPGs.