1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy now, or risk it and wait?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MJ2005, Feb 12, 2022.

1. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    A nearby dealer is offering a 2022 XLE for $30,399 (MSRP - $1500 rebate).
    We would be trading in or private selling a 2013 Gen 3 Prius.

Ideally we would prefer to wait a few more months before buying, but we would like to ensure that we get the federal tax credit. My understanding is that the credit is due to run out this quarter (as in, 200,000 Toyota vehicles sold). Is is correct that the credit will continue to be available for one more quarter after the quarter in which the limit is reached?

There seems to be low inventory in our area but still available stock with most dealers selling at MSRP. Of course without being able to predict the future, I'm not sure if we should anticipate being able to get our hands on one in the April-June timeframe, or if we should just buy one now.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

#1 MJ2005, Feb 12, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your area has stock; double check the prices with Truecar, Sams Club, Costco, and BJ's to make sure your getting the best deal.

I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, and wouldn't count on that Federal tax credit. Heck, when people ask me how much I paid for my Prime, I only back-off the incentive and $1K I received from green car alliance. My Fed credit should arrive next month - then I'll lower the price I paid for the car - this is reality. Anything else, your lying to yourself - because no one can predict the future.

Now; If you got all your "ducks in a row"; finance cost will probably increase with the Fed tightening monetary policies. MSRP is at least a fair price in today's market; but check my first sentence. I heard last week that used car prices had seemed to peak; so if the dealers are able to restock; I'd expect more discounting; especially when they lose Fed tax Credit. Look at price history of new cars (ie Nissan leaf, Tesla). Remember, this is a depreciating asset, not like a home; which tends to be an appreciating asset.

If your in a Non-CARB state, I'd expect cheap used Prius-es hitting your state, due to CAT thieves and high replacement cost. The car may be repaired for less than 1/3 of the price, with a Non-CARB compliant system.

My crystal ball seems to be running out of juice now;); so I hope this helps....

Storm88000 likes this.
  3. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are correct. Tax credit phase out starts on second quarter after hitting 200k EV sales. From tax code - The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.

MJ2005 likes this.
  4. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As far as when to buy, I'd wait until the end of this quarter (March 31, 2022) to see where Toyota is on their 200k mark. If they reached it then you have Q2 to still get full $4502 tax credit. As far as pre Summer 2021 discounts off MSRP, Toyota cash back, vehicle availability, etc, I don't see that happening for at best 2-3 years.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would buy now. you'll never likely get a price on your 13 like now.

6. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It is not even possible to buy a Prime where I live and there are huge markups.
    I would jump on that.

ems2158 likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say it's a minor miracle that they have some in stock.

8. MBurch

MBurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Would agree with bisco, traded in a 2011 CT with 110k on it for $16k on my PP, 2016 Prius 3 touring with 20k on it for $21k for our Rav4 - used car prices are insane and as with condo's will be the first to drop hard once the shortage eases at all

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While the full tax credit on PP is likely to be available at least until the end of June purchase, the availability and opportunity to sell your old car may not last long. Timing is everything. It seems all the planets are in line right now for you. Go for it.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to wonder if the dealer really has/had the car

11. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if where you live is like Colorado, finding new hybrids/primes is pretty rare!

I just looked at our largest dealer in Denver and they only have 26 vehicles in the lot and 327 in-transit so folks are just paying holding fees for the ones in transit but that's even hard to do. (I had to do this for my 21 AWD Prius last July...put $1,000 down which they deducted from the MSRP I paid...I haven't seen Colorado Toyota dealers add anything to the MSRPs but had a co-worker who ordered a new Jeep Rubicon and when it came in the stealership tried to add $10,000 in "market adjustment"....crazy.)

Not a single Prius on the lot in Denver so I just checked my dealer in Colorado Springs...he only has one listed and looks like it's in-transit...and only an LE model. Mine seems to have plenty of Highlander Hybrids but close to $60,000...ouch.

Is it just me or are we seeing a LOT more hybrids out on the roads these days? I'm also seeing more Tesla than ever.

12. MJ2005

MJ2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The deed is done! Just traded in the 2013 Prius Four for a 2022 Prius Prime XLE. It took a little longer than expected because the car we initially looked at was a color we didn't like so we decided to order it in white. It took about six weeks to arrive, rebate still valid.

We traded in the Prius Four for $15k, probably left a little on the table by not going private sale, but we opted for convenience.

We're charging the car in the garage for the first time as I type this - really cool!

13. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats on your new car! (y)

14. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So if Toyota comes out with a restyled next gen Prime, does the Tax credit begin all over again til 200k vehicles sold?

15. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nope, it's by Manufacturer, not by model.
    So, for Toyota, that includes Lexus vehicles.

Thread on the Federal EV Tax Credit likely expiring for Toyota (and Lexus) vehicles:
    May have reached 200k | PriusChat

Storm88000 likes this.
  16. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Wow. That is surprising.

So Toyota would have to create an entirely new make to get that again. Glad I got mine when I did (2020).

17. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    No, that won't work. You'll see why when you read the post right above what you wrote. :)

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The incentive sunset structure is the same as used for hybrids previously, though that one had a 60k sold limit.

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know which manufacturers reached the max limit of 60K sold in the previous hybrid incentive tax code? I was not in the market when that law was in effect, I have no idea. But my guess would be only Toyota may have sold enough numbers of cars to reach that limit.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, that incentive also had an end date. It started after I got my 2005 Prius, so details are murky. Toyota hit the limit. Ford was the only other company with a full hybrid out at the time. I don't think the program excluded mild hybrids, so Honda may have been a maybe with Ford.

The program ran at a time when hybrid choices were limited, and didn't run long enough to really help change that. It helped sales of models already, or soon to be, out. It didn't give manufacturers incentive to put out new hybrids. People were asking Toyota for a hybrid Rav4 and minivan back then.