1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy now or wait for '15?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Duke of Prunes, Mar 27, 2014.

1. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It will not be any time soon as Toyota has not even set a build date for 2015's as of yet! but I guess we could hope for a short 2015 run.

2. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Buy now and wait for '15, or '16, or'17 ...

Any reason to deprive yourself in the meantime when no one knows about the next gen?
    With the good resale value and low operating costs, there is little to lose.
    Many Prius owners say that the thing they regret most about buying a Prius, is not buying one sooner.

srivenkat likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's not even best to buy in the first two model years :

2010/ 2011 Prius liftback:

No power driver's seat available in ANY trim. In other words, there is no seat tilt adjust available in any trim of any 2010 / 2011 Prius
    Two and Three without Navigation have no USB port
    two and Three without Navigation have no touchscreen
    There was no HD radio available in any trim
    No Entune available
    Two and Threes only had one door Smart Key, now Three has 3 door
    and more...

And to the OP, just realize what you're buying into in a Prius - it the most efficient and practical hybrid, and the drivetrain is far ahead of any conventional out there, but I'm reminded every day on 880 that -

it is not very quiet at all on rough freeway pavement, therefore the 'JBL' is for naught during those times
    Toyota seems careless to put in a seat that slides way back and goes way low, but the steering wheel guy didn't get the memo, so it doesn't pull out much for the tall folks. My poll shows 25% find the wheel doesn't pull close enough.

I kinda see this car like a young teenager that seems to have a lot of potential and a future, but a lot of maturity is needed.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  4. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, but my 2010 has a change tray in the center console. Makes up for everything.

Besides, next year will always be better. That is the nature of everything. If you don't change and add features, you will lose. Every year will bring better radios, better seats, better paint colors, more options, etc. If you always sit on the sidelines and wait for the next year to bring the perfect package then you will be left behind while others enjoy what they have now.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm in a similar situation and have been looking for a Prius for almost a year now...

Your Accord will go another 100k miles, so the best thing to do is wait for the Gen 4 to arrive in the 3rd quarter of 2015, and then buy a 2012 Gen 3 from a private party. You've already driven the Accord 10 years; what's 1 more year?

Me, I'm on the lookout for amazing deals on a 2010-2012, with the requirement that it has Bluetooth.

Impatience will cost you in proportion to how impatient you are.

dorunron likes this.
  6. KyleT

KyleT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd wait for the 2016 Prius even it would be the 1st year model. The reason is that Prius v failed badly in the corner crash test conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Prius hatchback model hasn't been tested but I have no doubt that it shares the same structural construction. Toyota promises to redesign vehicles to protect passengers in front-corner impacts. Hope that fix will save some lives.

Ref: Toyota's Camry, Prius v get worst ratings in new crash test - Los Angeles Times