1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy now or wait until next year

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by echeng66, Mar 20, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't wait, since I can afford the car, and my own car with 103,000 miles was still easily saleable thanks to good condition and balance of 50,000 miles warranty on battery, 25,000 miles left on Michelins (per America's Tire), 100,000 miles left on brakes per Toyota dealer mechanic. The car still needed approximately $1500 worth of "routine dealer service" soon, so because I drive 25,000 plus miles per year and the new Prime Advanced suited me to a T, I made the move, after seeking the help of several dealer principals on where to get the car. I was well served, and I'm extremely happy with my new Prime. Now if my body will just get its shit together, I will be a truly happy camper!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have purchased two Prime full sticker price....on my side of seeing it is cheap for what you get with Advanced

Merged. Use multi quote.

I personally care less....by that time I will have one from salvaged yard for spare parts and definitely will be working on 20-25 Kw battery bank ....with 84 MPH EV this car will be good project for many people

#42 Samprocat, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
    heiwa, bisco and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Live in the moment. This is a great car. Why wait. Samprocat is 100% on point.

4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only better than Prime is next BEV....hope for Toyota to be in Tesla territory.....Still from my perspective Tesla win in
    Fast Charger network
    No other type of technology to keep running beside full focus on EV
    Overall quality they have so far
    All in the house R@D
    Battery... .propulsion ....Chassis
    Only one thing is supplied by other company....differential
    State of the art ceramic bearings on induction motors.....copper fusion of the rotor....
    Panasonic co-operation
    And much more
    On Technology side
    They are above the rest 5+years
    And one major fact they are inventors of what real BEV should be

So i should say any brave Human should have Hybrid ( in my vision Toyota is best hybrid) or Tesla....And don't forget that Prime could be fitted with much bigger battery in near future.....

Or from 0-60 MPH in 2.3 second for a fraction of cost what only couple hyper sport can do and cost 20-30 times more....
    Did i mentioned free charge network.....no wonder why Tesla is so famous.....
    I have personally meet CEO of Tesla and I'm amazed with his dedication and giving as something that will make you smile each time you seat in one....
    [/URL].

5. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living in the moment is often easier said than done. But, I took the step and bought my Prime in Nov. As a layperson, I FEEL (not saying think) Tesla's approach, high performance with larger capacity battery pack and fast charger, wasteful. I value Nissan's compromise to mass produce a great commuter with the technology they had years ago. I also appreciate Toyota's compromise for the sake of efficiency over performance UNTIL such time that we have technological breakthrough that compromise is no longer needed (e.g., storage capacity expansion, computing speed improvement and graphic user interface).

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why not wait till the end of the year? By then the Prime will be in more dealerships in more plentiful supply and there may be end of the year clearance deals. Plus, you might know what the Feds are going to do with the tax credit for 2018.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I too bought a Toyota from a Md dealer in my case 3 states and 270 miles away. I took the train to DC, and a local to BWI and was picked up there. The deal was just as described on the internet web site of the dealer and confirmed by phone and email (this was back in the days before Toyota got mad at dealers who posted prices other than MSRP). No fees, out the door in 20 minutes, paid with a bank check, temporary tags, no Md taxes, simple registration once I got back. The only downside is you should vary your speed during the brake in period so I did since I was driving at night in light traffic, stopped for a night to catch a few hours of sleep and then completed my journey. I saved thousands off the local asking price. And I saved the $599 dealer fee the locals charge. And I didn't have to get the dealer or distributor added extras which I really had no use for. No trouble with after sales service at my local dealer who now knows I'll do this again (in fact I just got a significant savings quote from the same Md dealer) which enables me to drive a harder bargain if I want to buy locally for convenience.

I'm retired and don't mind spending a day or two to save a grand or two. Pretty good rate of payback.

huskers and Sandollars like this.
  8. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congrats on your ride.