1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyer Beware: 2007 Toyota Prius VIN: JTDKB20UX77570607

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Herbalicious, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Herbalicious

Herbalicious Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I'm creating this posts to help others avoid the headache/stress I went through.

On December 26, 2015, I went to go look at the 2007 Toyota Prius with the VIN of JTDKB20UX77570607. It was dark. We had noticed some moisture on the hatchback floor and the seats. The dealer told us the car was detailed a few days earlier and hadn't gotten to dry out because it was raining and they couldn't open windows, etc.

I came back on December 28th. I wanted to take the car to the Portland/Broadway Toyota for a used car inspection. Earlier I called and the dealership said I didn't need an appointment and to just drive right in. But when I called around 2:30pm the lady said the mechanics were finishing their last cars and would be closed at 4:30pm so not enough time to check the car that day.

I ended up buying the car that night but the next morning I noticed a leak in the hatchback area. I did a google search for leaks in 2007 Prii and it seems to be common problem in Gen 2 Prii. I noticed the spare tire area had rust that seemed to be scrubbed but not all of it got removed. Also, appeared the spare tire was missing. The underside of the vehicle appeared to be rusted/corroded. The back wheel wells both seems heavily damaged by rust/corrosion.

I took the car back to the dealer, in less than 24 hours, and demanded my money back.

He said come back the next day and the owner will deal with it. The next day the check engine light went on as I was driving into Portland. I took it to the dealer to see if I could get more info. They told me that in August of 2015 they told the owner that the check engine light was because the car needs a new cat. converter which would cost $1,700-1,900 to replace. They said the owner decided to trade the car in and Toyota decided to auction it because it wasn't up to their resale standards.

I asked why the check engine light wasn't on when I test drove the car. She said it was reported as going on and off. She also said that it appears the dealer (or someone) disconnected the battery and reconnected it. This forces the check engine light off and it will stay off for a while.

I want all potential buyers of this car to know that I've observed these things. The CarFax has it listed as $1,500 over bluebook value but it's not! I left a brief comment on CarFax about this but I'm not sure if they will accept it or not. I just want some public record for anyone who searches for this VIN online.

Also, Carfax has the vehicle listed as green but the vehicle I bought was blueish.

I was able to get my refund from the dealer! Buyer beware on this vehicle.

#1 Herbalicious, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    KennyGS likes this.
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Caveat Emptor

3. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank god he refunded me! I learned a lesson from this experience. This is the first time buying a car on my own. What a headache!

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've been taken to the cleaners a time or two on used cars. It sucks but you live and learn.

Good on you for posting and letting other members know about the lemon..

Herbalicious likes this.
  5. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

The stress alone was too much! No one should have to go through that!

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think this was a lemon. A used prius with high miles would possibly have a catalytic converter problem and may also burn oil. That's just what happens with old Prius cars.

As far as the water leak goes, you also know that's a common occurrence. But from your description, this car sounds worst than others on the leak.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you for your post. i would suggest looking at a used econo car like corolla, and etc.

Herbalicious and N.J.PRIUS like this.
  8. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know! I just traded in my 2005 Prius with 129,900 miles and this vehicle wasn't using a drop of oil between oil changes (10,000 mile synthetic) and was as dry as a bone inside. Was running perfectly still getting 50 miles per gallon. The most maintenance free vehicle I have ever owned with the fewest problems. Would not hesitate to drive the vehicle cross country.

orenji and Herbalicious like this.
  9. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same here. I just traded in a 2007 with 116k that never had any issues. Best car I ever had. Before I traded it in I was scared that because of its age things might start breaking. Now I'm scared that my 2015 won't be as trouble free as my gen 2 was.

N.J.PRIUS and Herbalicious like this.
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com before visiting the next lot. Part of the buyer's inspection should be to look through the trunk checking for rust, over spray, and that all the parts that should be there are present. I wouldn't say leaks are common but they do happen. A Prius may be a low maintenance car but it isn't a no maintenance car. Eventually things need to be replaced and repaired.

It sounds like the car in question was in a flood or a collision. Some cars are used and abused, others are well cared for. Better luck on the next one.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  11. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you're right. It's probably not the definition of a lemon but it was a classic used car experience. The used car guy was trying to distract and discourage me from getting it looked at. I felt desperate and bought it because I didn't want to stress about reliable transportation after several weeks of problems. But it turned out to be more stressful than needed.

I really just want a public record so others can know that they wont find all the info they need in CarFax or the dealer.

The water leaks seems common in Gen 11 Prii and I was almost ok with it because there seems to be somewhat of an easy fix for it (with the cracks near the hatch lift area. But then I saw other water leak issues and wasn't sure I could fix all of them. I'm not a car person and don't understand all these things I was reading.

I never went under the car so I don't know what the whole thing looks like but I could see corrosion and rust all along the sides of the car and the rear wheel well looked rusted out. I didn't remove much but I was scared that the battery area was just corroded and nasty.

Anyone considering this car should get the rust/corrosion damage full inspected.

This feedback is very helpful thank you. Is 2005 Gen I? or Gen II? I'm pretty new at this and haven't memorized everything yet.

#11 Herbalicious, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gen 2 is 2004-2009

Herbalicious likes this.
  13. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you! I'm going to go through the guide so I know what to look out for, etc. I had googleed one and was reading it since this experience. I will see if these are the same guides.

If the car was flood or in a collision it wasn't listened on the CarFax.

I thought this car was one that was well taken care of because it looked like it got well maintained but those CarFax can be deceiving....

Thank you! I was hoping to get a car 2004 or newer because I have a 2003 right now.

#13 Herbalicious, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    CarFax and the others only report what data they are fed, and rust state isn't one such data point.

Herbalicious likes this.
  15. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I guess a leak & check-engine light aren't reported either....

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Correctamundo. Codes, etc. not reported unless part of a dealership or DIY maintenance report, which can be checked by VIN on the Toyota Owners site. Recall info also appears there. Toyota Owners Official Web Site

Herbalicious likes this.
  17. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Should I check that vehicle on Toyota's website? Can I check other toyotas I'm interested in the future or do I have to own it to check it?

18. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a used car (dealer or not) without having a professional inspect it (assuming you can't do it yourself or you are willing to take the loss). You are lucky the car dealer let you return it, in my state that would be very difficult. Also carfax is next to worthless, its just another money making tool of the dealerships especially with this new added value over book value complete BS. And yes, at 170K+ it needs a new cat.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should be able to register any legitimate VIN. I haven't tried building a fleet from cars sitting on lots so you may run into some limits.

20. Herbalicious

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You made me laugh! I don't know shit about cars (if that was obvious!) I'm newer to the area. My mechanic doesn't really know anything about Prii. Where I lived before, I literally had a reliable mechanic right next door, 20 feet away! Only an alley separated up.

I was desperate. The stress from not having the car figured out was weighing down.

I'm so lucky! Lesson learned.

What is carfax good for?!? I'm so confused. It said that car was $1,550 over retail blurlebook value. Wth?!? There's no way!

Do any of you have carfax accounts? Can you see my comment on this car?

Is the Portland Toyota place reliable? They seem expensive! But she totally helped me with the check engine code! I don't know who to trust. I'll spend thousands just inspecting cars!!!

I'm going to check this out. Have you ever looked at anyone else's car on there?

#20 Herbalicious, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016