1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyer Beware: 2007 Toyota Prius VIN: JTDKB20UX77570607

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Herbalicious, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You can enter a VIN and check it without owning it, though you do have to register on the site.

Herbalicious likes this.
  2. Kelly Jean

Kelly Jean New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is the reason why an independent mechanical inspection is also necessary. The car report might not be telling all the details you need. Or, it might be outdated.

3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    IMI is must-do for any used car unless you are a pro yourself. I've heard too many stories about people that have had cars go through major accidents, cops and insurance involved, etc, but to their amazement when they went to get CarFax or similar, not a mention of ANYTHING.

Just you saying you require your own guy to check it out will save you much grief. I like to propose taking it to a neutral mechanic (like nearest shop that deals with that brand and if they find anything semi-major wrong seller pays, and if they don't buyer pays mechanic's fee.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I learned more about carfax than I ever wanted to know the time I was looking at a red 2010 down in Indianapolis, and the "clean carfax!!!1!" was a big selling point.

I did have that car driven to a nearby Toyota dealer for inspection, and the mechanic took me into the service bay under the lift and pointed out all of the evidence of major body repair and repainting. So I elected not to buy the car. But while I was there, I asked the service manager "so, this visit should show up on carfax, right, might help the next person looking?" And I was told "yup, it will definitely get reported."

And it did. Out of curiosity, I pulled up the same car in carfax a week or two later, and it had a new entry for the day it was in for my inspection.

The new carfax entry said "maintenance inspection completed."

dig4dirt and fotomoto like this.
  5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just to add...that carfax is complete bullshit,

my brother currently owns a Honda that had a carfax when he purchased it, said it was clean,
    and he then was notified about a year or two down the road that his carfax had a accident report.
    The date noted was before he purchased.
    So he went to the dealer that sold it to him on the next service, and told them, and they weaseled around.
    About a week or month later he found out that the accident report was again non-existent on the carfax.

carfax warranty is only if car title was found out to be rebuilt/salvage I believe.
    But either way, there is some pocket filling or fraud going on with it.

I would recommend to no one to rely on a carfax. not even 1% on deciding factor on the purchase of a car.
    end of story.