1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyer Beware: PriusOverlanding is a scam

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 2PriusGarage, Sep 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for explaining... I've never bought car window shades that didn't need serious modification after they come out of the box... Most people buy them to keep their car from getting hot, rather than to be stealth... And most shades are designed to roll up which creates more wear & tear as well as requiring suction cups so they don't start to roll up when they're on the window... Everytime I'm camping with my shades on all the windows I think about how I need to modify them even more, as well as address all the wear and tear.

2. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Our shipment just arrived... I stealth camp and no light gets through whatsoever... also.. after a few years of use mine still blocks out all light... I have a video I need to upload which shows all of the LED lights can be on inside of the car and no one on the outside can tell they are on...

3. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    also... you did instill the product with the doors open correct? You cant set them in place with the doors closed...

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    @black_jmyntrn -- would love to see the video. Also, do you have the same supplier as blinds4cars or are your shades different?

5. Flyingjim

Flyingjim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Im hoping to be wrong but I bet we see the video like we see the evidence that the 2020 election was stolen.

black_jmyntrn
    Regardless of whether or not any customer received a product from you... You could sell the nicest mods for Prius I wouldn't want to buy from you based on your comments on this thread alone. Not to mention the people who've commented about the less than stellar customer service.

And then you keep creating excuses. You've only been in business one year... Yeah I like businesses who take accountability when things don't happen.

The website looks like it's taken apart now. The products looked too good to be true and even if the products were solid, I think I would buy from a reputable business. So my advice to you black_jmyntrn if you're not a scammer is to not sell your products directly to consumers.

See if Prius off-road would sell your stuff or hybrid pit or... Because you just don't have the temperament to work in customer service.

alftoy and PriusCamper like this.
  6. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The thing is... like I've stated... I'm human, not perfect, and also, take full accountability for what I do, sell, or say. I am also not responsible for what you understand from my words, I am responsible for what I say and do! Some for whatever reason seem to think I'm to be this flawless seller when the reality is, no one on this earth is perfect!

The beauty these days, I know it's not me.... heh, there are hybrid repair shops across the country that refuse to work on the Prius for a reason not relating to the vehicle specifically, but the vehicle owners. Heck, look at all of the opinions including yours on this post, from people that get salty at a guy for not being what they EXPECT him to be or saying what they EXPECT him to say.

side note, I literally dozed off in the wee hours of the morning today, working on the site, and a plugin wasn't enabled.... the site looks as expected now.. geez

That said, I'm already making the shift to B2B as the headaches from opinionated owners who are clearly more perfect than I am, are something I am not wanting in the business of dealing with on a day-to-day basis... oh yeah, HP already retails my products and so do other shops around the country... just that, heh.. that offroad joker is the reason I started this company and these days others are getting wind of the foul stench within his soul as I did years ago.

Thing is... I never said I was a customer support anything, as a matter of fact, the goal is to build more of a self-service customer support model and not a hand-holding/coddling customer support experience where we let customers talk to us in any type of way and believe the customer is always right. Im sure you can agree, the customer can also be an donkey, and hey... I'm losing no sleep if someone doesn't want to make a purchase from me because they can't handle what I say and stand behind it. Many have ended up making a purchase elsewhere and then realizing they should've put their feelings aside and just ordered from PriusOverlanding.com

What I do know is the other hitch's on the market can't hold their own against our hitch and even our lift kit and springs we tested far more than any other lift kit manufacturers on the market have tested their product. We make high-quality parts that can take most abuse tossed at them when driving a Prius off the pavement, we also aren't going to fill the community with false statements about the max height you can do on a Prius without evidence of an issue that arises... the word is suspension issues happen when you lift more than 1.5", I'm well above 5" and deliberately driving the car in a manner to cause stress for hopes of finding so-called issues or stress on the suspension... of which I've yet to uncover.

#166 black_jmyntrn, May 10, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
  7. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nigel owner of blinds4cars, the manufacturer, and I have been on more than one conference call together. There should be no difference in the product. I was able to get my systems re-configured and Premier installed over the weekend, pushing to have the video online before the week is over.

8. Basil_Leaf

Basil_Leaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey man, hoping I can get some information on an order from you that I still have not received. I originally placed this on January 6th, 2023 and ever since then I have been patiently waiting. I haven't left a bad review, I haven't done a chargeback, I have reached out about this order through your customer service portal, Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, and most recently a phone call where I spoke to you directly.

We chatted for a bit about your 3D Scanner, and some of the cool ideas you want to start producing for the Prius community. You told me on that phone call that my order would be shipped out within the next 2 days; that was a few weeks ago. You told me you were escalating my order and I quote "Putting a double star next to my name for being awesome".

What's the deal man? My order is for 2 small things, Ditch Light Brackets and DRL Turn Signals.

Am I looking at another 4+ months of silence? Do you even think you will have the products for me?

Let's just get real, just tell me what you can handle and lets go from there. I have no anger or hate against you, but I think we both agree that its getting a little ridiculous.

Order Number: 49779

w84me, 3PriusMike, alftoy and 3 others like this.
  9. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This just doesn't add up at all. There is absolutely no way someone could say that "no light gets through whatsoever." I'm not talking gaps at the edges. I'm saying that this is simply not blackout fabric.

My latest thought is to glue some black felt onto the OEM fabric of these shades to make them opaque. I have been using black twinwall that I cut to size as shades, but after 908 stealth camping nights (and counting) they are getting a bit worn. I was hoping that these shades would be an easy "no work" substitute, but honestly it might be easier to just cut new twinwall shades, considering how well they work.

Basil_Leaf and Grit like this.
  10. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why would you say that when it is demonstrably false? Here are two pictures. Both are on a brick stairway with a lantern in the background.

Your shade:

20230514_154038 (Medium).jpg [
    The custom twinwall shade that I made:

20230514_154124 (Medium).jpg

11. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You know, on TikTok there were people commenting that I shouldn't post videos on social media because they thought since they hadn't received an update I shouldn't post my drone videos. Some on Reddit say the informative links I post back to my blog where I've tried to document in some fashion what I've done or learned with the Prius with hopes to inspire others to think outside the box... is SPAM and they make jokes about my drone videos going offroad while they barely leave the comfort of the city they live in... the city of Angels...

IRL I've not only met, but shared a great night around the campfire with many Prius owners around the country. I find that many have modified other vehicles extensively... One gent is building on his GFs Prius yet his Tundra alone is a work of art! He's mentioned to me and places online the thought around knowing when he ordered KING parts, he knew these parts, were not available anywhere else and there would be no Amazon-style delivery times. He knew 6-9 months or more is just what it would take. Likewise, for my 3D scanner and other purchases I know that when I paid for an item, I would receive it.
    The realization that setting better expectations on the site would've been a night and day difference in the general opinion of the owners towards PriusOverlanding.com. Stating "Ships Directly From Manufacturer Timing based on Manufacturer's availability." would have alleviated the need for you to ask for an update as, post c-19 things aren't back to fast-paced ready to quickly manufacture time frames. Some, a manufacturer would just have to wait without an update and not be able to provide a concrete estimation... I am sure you've read through this long thread where I didn't want to mention a date shade would be in stock, haven't had a solid track record of back-to-back incoming shipments to then build the confidence to say x day and they are here before that date.
    I still don't get the notion of going straight to calling a company a scam, yet I don't get a lot of things humans do, especially when it's not like people aren't receiving parts, it's they aren't getting them in the expected time frame they had in mind or planned out for their specific needs. The unfortunate part is, those who received parts are not like other vocal souls regarding their order, they thank me in private and eat their popcorn as browsers, not posters.

That said, at the end of last week the new platform to assist with communications across the various media channels went live. I do appreciate the non-bad review, just seeing how the Reddit post you made turned into a glorious bash-me fun fest in which your words reflected the heart of a patient man not looking to smear my name. For that I am grateful.
    To know without a shadow of a doubt, had words like SCAM in this long novel of a thread or the false words from very vocal souls on the internet who have never done business with me, not be... the salty taste in the mouths of others is based on inaccurate words from those I still wonder how I wa there on the cldar!
    Nothing but tearing me down/ thosethen voice their very opinioned thoughts, most with nothing else to base the on than other salty words from folks just makes for one hell of a ride I tell ya! Also grateful you didn't do a chargeback out of fear from reading the words of others. I had to devise a method that doesn't involve me with sleepless nights and headaches to manage the thousands of Prius owners I've been in communications with over the past roughly two years. Clearly I know nothing about customer support but I can develop and manufacture some high-quality parts. heh. one hiccup early on during the first year in the fulfillment process has turned into the mother of all snowballs of which my torch is finally starting to win and able to have solid feet being used to get the snowball to stop, then melt!

I'm sure i could've used fewer words than the above to say, the trust you've given me at this 4-month marker I kindly ask... dont let any worry or and doubt have you believe you will not receive your items. That's not the type of business I run. Look at the sunshades which started this post... you know the longest someone waited was almost 11 months. After receiving the last batch of sun shades, August 2023 was the earliest date of purchase made through the site and they received them last week or this week I don't recall. 25 orders out of the 30 received were pre-ordered already. So, if you sent a message to the IG account, or those who filled a chargeback as they didnt want to wait and clearly got spooked by false statements online that they shared with paypal and their credit card company as if to say is why they used the word SCAM...heh.... now multiply the number of items in your order times conservatively 150... thats how many folks asking for updates and I'm working through all as fast as I can. Soon as I get the text/voice linked into the platform ill be happier. I cant integrate IG or FB post comments yet the DM features on them both, email all in a nice easy to use and support customers without losing track has been a stress reliever! heh. You dont even know that my own car is progressing slowly as I'm choosing to not work on it and devote time and energy to ensure orders since the middle of last month ship within reasonable time windows and expectations are set up front. Some King products online say "In-Stock Ships Next Business Day" and the very next product on the scroll says "Ships Directly From Manufacturer Timing based on Manufacturer's availability."

So for me, no, the only ridiculousness has been how the owners versus having any sort of compassion or thought process like "wow, this guy must be swamped, millions of Prius vehicles around the world, I bet he's working through the unknown to come out with a product or something creative for the Prius." like Gen 5 Hitch.. Lift Kit and the works. What could I have done to not have you or others in this combative energy space? seriously asking this question so I don't repeat the same mistakes!

#171 black_jmyntrn, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is the canary dead yet?

Basil_Leaf, Grit and Johnny Cakes like this.
  13. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    In lieu of flowers, the family requests a contribution to the Better Business Bureau.

Basil_Leaf, Grit and bisco like this.
  14. Hybrid Ron

Hybrid Ron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Extremely long response from blackmytrn blaming others because his words were lies.

Did Basil Leaf get his order in two days like promised? Do the shades block out all light as promised?

Trust is defined as the belief in the reliability or truth of a person's statements.

Scam is defined as a deceptive scheme or statement to get something from someone, especially money.

If the shoe fits.......

Grit likes this.
  15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nicely put. Shocked that the user is still allowed to be on the forum. Sam spade 1 must have conmmitted a major crime to be banned from here back while ago

16. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone interested in a set of shades at HALF PRICE??? (plus actual shipping cost to wherever you are)
    Description at: Toyota Prius Window Sun Blackout Shades (priusoverlanding.com)

Almost brand new -- used only for a photo shoot (as seen above).
    Note: link above calls them "blackout shades" but they are "room darkening" NOT "blackout shades."
    My promise to you is shipping two days after payment accepted or you can have them for FREE. My word is my bond.

Basil_Leaf likes this.
  17. Basil_Leaf

Basil_Leaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I would actually be interested in taking them off your hands! My application is a bit less stealth so they should fit the bill.

Ill send you a DM after work today and we can work out the details?

18. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Winner! And with me your canary will have a long life.

Basil_Leaf likes this.
  19. Basil_Leaf

Basil_Leaf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like your DMs are restricted due to privacy settings?

Want to shoot me a DM and we can talk about the sale?

20. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :: sigh :: you know it doesn't have to be difficult. I am still trying to understand where all the animosity comes from? uhh one would think, such smart alic folks around these parts there would be more substance behind the emotions displayed by the words here.

Nope.. I wouldn't... Because.. with the shades installed.. and at night time... results, where they matter, are completely different. I kind of thought you were going to add more "review" to this and waited on my response. If you are going off the fact that these shades block out the most sunlight than any other product on the market and that because you can "see" the light it's not blackout is an opinion I enjoyed reading. With these blackout shades, I've sat in my Prius (actually sitting in it now) all day without turning on the car once! Today in fact, the sun is blocked and the heat is less severe. I only have the hatch cracked open1/6th being stopped with a paracord and a clip.

I bet you didn't even bother putting them in at night, did you? Where they matter the most, at night... You can have all lights on inside the vehicle and no one walking by (on my car with tint) will be able to tell if any lights are on. By day, no one will be able to see in your vehicle. Now, it sounds like our definition of the facts which define blackout are different. None specifically state what your definition is implied by your post.

1 · to become enveloped in darkness ;
    This is what my understanding is of the word blackout! This is what the shades provide and it's by definition.

This video starts with me recording my driver's side windows with the door closed and lights on inside. I span back so you can see the hatch cracked open and the lights glowing up the entire cabin...I notice one spec of red light is showing through so I pan back to it hoping to catch some clarity in the video that shows the led is facing directly towards the outside and almost touching the shade. when I pan back I've opened the door so you can see how bright all of my LED's are inside as you think "dang, so wait.. they really do blackout the windows! no one can see in or out with them properly installed and fitted to the window!!!"

Also.. here.. installed in my car with the sun glaring in, there is a tarp over my windshield hanging over for comparison similar to yours. Notice with the shades properly fitted, there is no seam?
    20230516_183210.jpg

now this, the rear, you can see how it needs to be fitted into the window? Even with the gap you see there, depending on the lights on inside, one would not notice lights are on inside of the vehicle.
    20230516_183239.jpg

so.. help me understand what you were expecting? maybe, I have a solution for you.

You know, I love reading the cracker jack comments around the internet. I stand behind everything I say... lol where are the lies? Because Johnny had an incorrect assessment? huh? I see which side you stand tho... stay gravy baby!

Thing is... I don't scam, the numbers are growing of those receiving products. Sure, a longer delivery than some EXPECT, but long delivery doesn't qualify as a scam. If that's the case... Toyota is scamming us, we have to wait months for back-ordered catalytic converters... Applying a word that doesn't apply based on your false sense of.. maybe entitlement.. not sure yet, either way, it's not the proper way to use your voice online.

Yall really think I'm going through all this work and effort to build a Tesla eating (Model 3 RWD) Prius to scam people? whatttt

Nah, I did this so I could drive this Prius on seven continents and be the first Hybrid to cross Darien's Gap. So... clearly I've done a horrible job at marketing!

To think, this thread started because I was too swamped to reply to communications and provide an update on a product imported that some have waited 11 months to receive... I've actually worked to improve those times and yet, you and the others only kick me as I'm down and offer no compassion whatsoever. Those that have compassion, we all wonder now about those without and what life is like for yall offline. Your energy online reflects how your life is ya know... but what do I know. by your words I'm a dumb scammer, so Im probably wrong in all I've typed.

Clearly, there must be something I am doing right getting overlooked by readers like yourself, the powers that be can clearly think outside the box of opinions typed out based on hearsay and words clearly tainted by something not relating to me. :p

#180 black_jmyntrn, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.