1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyer's (partial) remorse

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Eric "v", Apr 17, 2015.

1. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As anyone who has watched the mods pages knows I've poured thousands into my v in body braces, lowering springs, wheels & tires, sway bar, lighting, exhaust tip, shark fin antenna, etc. It's now a great handling v, relative to what it was, and looks nicer too. I'm(relatively) happy - I think.

BUT... my wife just bought a new Hunday Elantra Limited for $18,800. That car has soooo many tech and material upgrades that it makes my v look quite cheap. I mean - leather seats (heated front AND back), XM & HD radio, Blue link (like On Star), Bluetooth, backup cam WITH guide marks, Home Link, THREE handling settings (Comfort, Normal, Sport) that change shock settings, transmission shift points and steering ratios.
    Plus the car is rated at a higher re-sale value than the Toyota Corolla! C'mon, when do we get a truly nice Prius like this? I'd have paid another $1000. or so for these upgrades. Not to mention that it is definitely a "tighter" build and much quieter.

Signed, Disgruntled

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to me like you bought the Prius for all the wrong reasons.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I wish you happiness in your next car.

Warning, that happiness will only last about six months and then the next new and improved version will be available and "I gotta have" will set in.

Silver bullit likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a slippery slope I try to avoid. I mean, eventually you're going to trade or sell this car, and watch the potential recipient's eyes glaze over as you list all this stuff.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear Disgruntled,

Yes there are many nice vehicles being produced.
    Very few if any that offer the benefits of being a Hybrid.
    Get back to me when the Elantra turns of it's engine at a stop and get's you upwards of 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas.

ITgem679 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, if 50 mpg's doesn't do it for ya, the rest will just be a disappointment. that's what it's all about.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Given all he's done to that v, I seriously doubt it'll ever see anything close to 50mpg.

8. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having been a Hyundai owner; 2002 Elantra, 2010 Sonata and a 2012 Sonata. I'm pretty sure you will be happier with your Prius in the long run than you would be with the Hyundai. From my experience Hyundai is all about getting a lot of stuff for your money but reliability and durability are below Toyota's standards. I now have two Toyotas and will never go back to Hyundai.

ITgem679 likes this.
  9. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    50 MMPG!?? REALLY? Just WHO sees that in a v without driving like a milquetoast?

I LIKE my v as I've modded it. Handling is now very good and the power (when needed) has increased with the INJEN CAI.
    I love my real world 38- 40 mpg on the highway and 36.5 in town. Yeah, I drive it hard so I'm not ever going to complain about the great mileage that I get now.

I'm actually bellyaching about the lack of amenities in the v W/O paying the ridiculous price of a loaded Five model.

But I feel shortchanged by:
    1. no DRLs (had to install 'em myself)
    2. no backup cam highlighted guide lines ('til one gets to the Five model)
    3. too much road noise (I mean, a bit of sound deadener on the wheel wells and inside the doors would be nice. The little extra weight would not hamper mileage.)
    4. no HD radio, even as an option
    5. no Home link or On Star type option
    6. no XM radio option
    7. cheesy stick radio antenna

I can do without the nannying of front and rear collision avoidance radar but a blind spot warning system would be nice and should be mandatory.

Jus' sayin' - and I am definitely not the only one on this forum saying these things.

Toyota needs to up their game. You are either building your reputation or resting on it.
    For ex.-> Compare a loaded Corolla to my wife's loaded Elantra Limited. The Elantra has more for a lower price and a much longer guarantee AND it has a higher re-sale value than the Corolla. (Yeah, I was amazed at that one too.)

10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You are right Mike. When we buy a new car and if there is something about it that we do not like and there always is, it will be corrected in next years model. That is a trap I am not going to get in.

ITgem679 likes this.
  11. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE:

Worse yet (when comparing the Elantra Limited to my Prius v) on a trip from 'Vegas to Thousand Oaks, CA the Elantra got an indicated 37.1 mpg. THIRTY FRIKKIN SEVEN mpg! It was in "Comfort" mode with the "ECON" dash button on for best mileage. We drove between 70 and 75 mph with passing spurts up to 90 mph.

Unless Hunday has completely rigged the software this is amazing. We could have made the trip on a tank of gas with 1/10th of a tank left but we filed up in Barstow just in case we got caught in a traffic jam on the 101.

"Geeze oh man!" to quote Radar o' Rielly.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are lots of 37 MPG highway cars around. Do the daily driving over 3 or 4 tanks and compute your average mileage and then you'll have something to measure. Also try to fit all the stuff the V absorbs into a comparative car and see if that works. Every car design is a compromise in room, cost, MPH, NVH, handling, etc.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like someone will be trading their v soon.:cool:

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Elantra is a really good car!
    And?
    They're getting better.

The last time I checked with the "Rhymes with Sunday" company their E-car also had a stunning tow capacity to go with...adequate power and amenities, good build quality, better than average fuel efficiency, etc...

If I'm sitting in Toyota's HQ I see them getting bigger and bigger in the rear-view mirror......of course rearward is poor if you're driving a Prius.

Still....tank to tank the Prius is 10-mpg better in real-world efficiency.
    That still means a lot....especially to the bunny huggers and everybody else too if gas goes back above $5 a gallon.
    Priuses are still real-world reliable (Hyundai is gaining there too) and if you trade cars out every four years then it's not really going to matter what you drive as long as you can make the monthly payments, now is it?

Me?
    I'm a reformed new car driver.
    I want more cheap over a ten year run, and I'll deal with Spartan amenities, wheezing performance, electric steering, and golf-cart handling.

Poor dealerships notwithstanding, I see a G3 Prius as a good 10-year-car. Like, world-class good.
    When Hyundai improves juuuuuuuust a little more?.
    They'll probably supplant big "T".

For right now?
    I need the 10-MPG.

YMMV.

#14 ETC(SS), Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    frodoz737 likes this.
  15. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco,

Wellll... I really can't sell my v anytime within the next 5 to 7 years because I've sunk a lot of money (over $3,000.) into handling and performance upgrades. I do like that it gets better much better mileage in town than the Elantra and somewhat better (2 - 3 mpg) on the highway. Just wish it had a Li-ion battery. :( Yeah, the cargo capacity is great but that 2015 Elantra has 14.8 cu. ft. in its trunk. That's a big trunk even for a mid-size car.

So I'm sticking with my v for the foreseeable future. I like its looks and the upgrades I've done. It now handles a bit better than the Elantra's Sport mode but Toyota really needs to sharpen up the Prius steering response by repositioning the electric motor down by the rack, instead of under the dash. Yes it may up our price by $50. but I'll pay it for responsive, safer steering.

AND Toyota should un-cheapen the interior plastic and vinyl. Really, I paid $24,400. for that model Two v and it should look like a car that stickers for $27.000.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can understand your remorse, and the situation you are currently in. more than a few people here would like to see the things you ask for, and hope they will be in the gen IV this fall. but you have to realize that there's a lot of investment and production cost in the hybrid system. and even though it may only eek out 15-20% more mpg's than the next best thing, it sells well enough for people to continue buying it. toyota is looking at all aspects of a car that is sold worldwide, and while the gen IV will likely be an improvement in many areas, it won't satisfy everyone. but what car does? the best selling cars are the ones that get the job done for cheap money. after that, it's individual taste. i wish you all the best over the coming 5-7 years.(y)

17. ITgem679

ITgem679 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AMEN!! I love the way you stated this. It's exactly what I look forward to out of my car. I try not to focus on brand, but in many cases it does seem to matter. I am not big on the Hyundai brand at all, personally.

Okinawa likes this.
  18. ITgem679

ITgem679 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

It is the same with cell phones, computers, TV's and tons of other technologies...

Okinawa likes this.
  19. ITgem679

ITgem679 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess it really is all in how you drive your Prius right? I get 40-45 MPG in my Prius, driving 85 MPH for over 200 miles, fluctuation of 80-90 MPH uphill and downhill. I am in Power mode for a lot of the 200 miles and still get over 40 MPG. Of course, my car has everything I want in it, because when I shopped for it, I made sure that it covered my list. Be glad it is your wife that owns the Elantra. You get to enjoy it. I hope the gas mileage doesn't get too out of hand. I hope the Elantra lasts as long as I've seen Toyota's last...

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's how Hyundai and Kia are promoting their cars, right? It's with features. That's how you get people into the showroom. Just like how Lexus did with the 1st generation LS400. German quality, Japanese reliability, at a price you won't believe.

People are willing to sacrifice intangible things for things that are tangible. i.e. it doesn't matter if it uses more fuel than the competition (Civic or Corolla) as long as my friends and family see that I have X, Y and Z that their "fancy" car didn't. Hyundai appeals to that human side and it works well. Unfortunately, the Prius' feature is the intangible - the price of Hybrid Synergy Drive.

That being said, Toyota, please improve the construction of the interior of the Prius. The panel gaps are tight but using clips instead of screws to save weight also leads to freaking rattles when said clips are loosen and unlike screws that can be retightened, clips can't.

ITgem679 and DGH like this.