1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buyers remorse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by krazypriuslady, Apr 2, 2012.

1. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a 2011 3 package. Overall, I'm very happy with the car. I wish though I had gotten leather seats and a backup camera--other than that it's perfect. It would cost about $2000 to add them now, less to do it myself, which I'll never do because I don't have the courage. I know I probably would had had to jump to the 2012 4 to get the must haves of integrated XM and backup camera and leather with quite a big $ difference, that I wouldn't want to pay. I didn't want nav or the sunroof.

So I'm just venting a little. I'd probably do it the same way again because I'm cheap but I wish Toyota was more flexible with options.

Thanks for listening :rolleyes:

2. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It might cost you a little under 2k. I'd say $1k for leather/installation. Then get an aftermarket display stereo (which would also have bluetooth that you currently don't have) and have them install a back up cam. The back up cam isn't that expensive, I've realized. I'd assume the most you'd spend after installation is $1,700. But then again, that's not far off from your $2k.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sit back and enjoy the ride... all the remorse will dry up after filling up the first couple of times. :)

Delux, Tech_Guy and kremlin like this.
  4. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed that some of the Homelink auto-dimming mirrors have a screen for a backup camera. It would be a simpler installation.

5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What ever happen to the day's of "I just need a car to get me from point "A" to point "B" and back again", with no luxurious accessories needed in the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  6. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are options that I wish I had gotten also, but that would have bumped me up into a four, and I didn't want to do that. Oh well.

You can get the leather added. My dealer did mine for $799 as part of the sale, which is what we negotiated. The katskin leather seats are probably nicer than factory. And for what you're saving in fuel now, you definately can afford to get some nice seats (even heated & cooled) in the near future!

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well first of all jumping up to the Prius 4 wouldn't of gotten you Leather, it would of gotten you Softex.

I agree that Toyota usually builds a strangely spaced ladder in regards to their upgrades, packages and costs. The Prius 2, in my opinion, is a pretty good value, but going up the ladder it the value equation quickly evaporates.

If you want extra's? Toyota makes you pay for them. It's not too flexible.

But that's pretty typical of all Automakers.

How does the song go? "Love The One You're With"?

I think a lot of the connectivity options, while very, very nice, can be duplicated with other electronic tools or gadgets, usually available at a much lower price.

Softex or Cloth, is a pretty close debate.

If you really want a back-up camera, aftermarket options exist.

Toyota's package structure can be frustrating. I'd pretty much like a Prius 2, with a sunroof. Impossible. Simply to get a sunroof, I would be looking at $7000-$8000 dollars more....even though I'd also get a package of additional extra's that mean far less to me.

Anyway, I'd be happy.

And if you REALLY find the Extra's you want are ruining your life? Leather and Back-Up Camera's all can be obtained aftermarket.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Those days are gone. Vehicles are now extensions of our electronic gadgetry, as well as vehicles.

My Grandfather, has a bit of family legend. It's told that he always bought vehicles in as basic a form as possible. This is during the 50's and 60's when that was pretty easy. But he never allowed for any luxury. Evidently his catch phrase was "Just a bunch of stuff to break and fiddle with". --He wouldn't of been a Prius driver today.

The last vehicle he bought before he died was a new 1967 Mustang. It was probably an Omen because everyone was amazed when he showed up with it. He had bought it with....

...an AM radio!

My Mother kept that 67 Mustang for decades...when she finally did sell it? The AM radio was still in it, and still working.

9. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Eh, who needs heated homes and indoor plumbing?
    Why go to the grocery store? You can forage in the woods and cook by campfire. Not realistic these days.
    Times change. :eek:

I can put a blanket on the seats for the pets and have a passenger get out and help with parallel parking, so $2000 isn't worth it to me, but it really would be nice to have more option flexibility from T.

PS it came with bluetooth.

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it worth it to you, OR Not?

Your title is "Buyers Remorse" and you describe the "Extra's" as being "Must Haves"?

Most "accessories" are not really "Must Haves". They are usually "Would Be Nice to Haves".

You are a bit Schizophrenic in your approach here. You either are happy with your purchase, and your savings in relationship to higher packages....or you are not.

If you are happy? Where's the Buyers Remorse?

If you are unhappy? Get the upgrades aftermarket.

11. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HomeLink Mirror and backup camera Install

It looks like you could have dealer or shop install the above for a couple hundred.

"When your perfect lover looks like a perfect fool"

Don't feel bad, I got 2012 Prius III with the Solar roof which included the backup camera and I've got buyer's remorse for the Power Seats (I find the manual seats impossible to make comfortable), the XMNavTraffic, the Auto/On/Off headlights and the Heads Up Display (I watch the power use bar so much I need it in my field of vision).

I did save $5K (you saved $2K) and I can add the Auto/On/Off lights for a couple hundred and $100 seat cushion should fix the only other real problem I have.

12. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No laments here on my 2012-2 here save that if I would have held out till 2013 the rearview camera would have been standard :( That being said I have had a Baja, a Civic, a New Beetle, a Ford Ranger, and so many other cars that I did not hurt my car or others in backing up in....

Never had leather seats, so I can't say that will miss them. And on on the 2012's they are Soft Tex, not real leather anyways....

XM is the only thing I would say that in this day and age should have been standard....

13. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Katzkin leathers and home link will put you well under $2k after after install. Lets say if Toyota WAS flexible and offered leather/back up cam a la carte, it would at the very least cost the same as aftermarket parts.

14. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "D. None of the above"

I am not happy with the purchase. I would have liked either a la carte pricing or more factory variation on packages.
    E.g., a 2 with A, B or C packages.

I know I can add these 2 things, or I can trash the seats and not worry about the resale value, because that's the issue, not sitting on leather.

I was just venting about the way they make us make the choices.

15. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    i consider our Prius 4 expensive.. looking back, we should have gotten a Lexus CT200h.. for almost the same price.
    We walked in the dealer looking for a Prius 2, back in September 2011, there was none on the lot. long story short, we got a 4.
    The leather that you're missing doesn't come close to the leather that we have on our Lexus. My next complaint is the dash.
    anyway, the mpg on the Prius is better than the CT200h..

16. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only buyer's remorse I'm feeling is the fact that I traded in my trusty ol' toyota 4runner. It was my first car and it treated me well. 14 years old and only had 139,000 miles on it. :( I miss it. I was initially only going to get the Prius 3, but ended up walking out of there with a Prius 4 so I had to trade it in to get to my budget price. =/ I'm missing my baby.

17. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, because of dealer screwup I didn't get what I spec'd - dark grey interior instead of bisque and a factory decorative rear bumper applique instead of the dealer installed protective rubber one. And they couldn't get a blizzard pearl 3 with solar roof/nav in the timeframe I needed (was selling my prior car to someone else) so I settled for the flaws and will live with it, although I've made it clear to this dealer I'd never allow that again. I did then only because of that time bind.

18. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @ fattymoocow, i envy you, you got the Solar Roof package on your Four.
    i feel your pain, we traded our 2009 Toyota Camry SE for the Prius.
    there are nights that i looked back at the garage and wish the Camry was still there.
    don't get too attached to the car.

1 person likes this.
  19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You could read comments like these for hours on the Plug-in forum. There were two choices- base and advanced, with a 7-8K price difference between them. Beyond that, you got the accessories and equipment that somebody at Toyota decided you "needed" on your car. So I have a base model with navigation and Entune, but had to buy leather aftermarket. The first two I have very little use for, the second I feel should be available from the factory on any trim level you choose, and make that real leather, please. However, I don't see this as buyer's remorse in any way. I am quite satisfied with my car, including the aftermarket leather.

20. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I'm trying not to but it's a little hard just because it was only 3 days ago. I drove up to the dealership with no intentions of trading in when I was set on buying the Prius 3. I definitely love my Prius but I'm just sad that I had to lose my 4Runner, a little immature but I just want it all! :( When you are thinking about your Camry are you wishing that you didn't get the Prius or just wishing that the Camry was there also?