1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2005 Prius tomorrow (maybe!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by blackedout2005, Mar 28, 2022.

1. blackedout2005

blackedout2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, First time Prius buyer here. Ive test driven a 2005, 2007 and 2009. I get an idea of what they're like. Anyways, tomorrow I'm headed to look at a black 2005 prius. 170000 miles.

The car body is clean no rust (surprising for the midwest)/ It has leather, I believe it's a base not a touring and its missing the cat. The owner said he's owned it for 8 months. He says the 2nd cat is still on the car. but the cat under the car was stolen and is now straight piped. He's asking 5000$ and since its missing one cat, and has a crack in the passenger side of the windshield I feel I could talk him down. He said he doesnt know if the hybrid battery has ever been changed,so im assuming no.

Is there anything I should check to make sure i dont buy a piece of you know what? I know to check the dipstick for any deposits and see what color the oil is, but other than that and testing how the suspension feels im not too well versed in what to look out for.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Make sure the O2 sensor wire(s) is not shorting out after the catalytic converter theft. Tape it up or you’ll have even more problems than replacement of converter. Read prior threads about that.

3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "He says the 2nd cat is still on the car. but the cat under the car was stolen and is now straight piped."

Huh, that doesn't make much sense. The two cats are connected as a single unit - what thief would only cut out one cat? Maybe he means he bought a replacement but hasn't yet installed it. Assume the battery will need replacing soon.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not much else to worry about. you might need a brake actuator someday, or an a/c compressor. both high priced systems.
    combo meter might go out, and/or audio display.

any way to check how much oil she burns?

5. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Has had it for 8 months and wants to sell it again=LEMON $$$

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Are you a decent DIY driveway mechanic? If not move on. Especially at $5K, you can budget another $5K for Prius idiosyncratic mechanicals. Better off looking for a Corolla.

7. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 has been a champ, replaced the battery pack a couple years ago and it just keeps going. it would be helpful to know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The dealer says 100k, most of the long time owners do 50-60k. If you not in California a replacement cat is a couple hundred dollars.
    other than looking at condition of fluids if it runs it should be good. There are some long term maintenance procedures that would need to get caught up on and the shocks ore probably a bit soft buy now. Check the date on the 12v battery will give you an idea if it’s been maintained.

8. blackedout2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I own BMWs and have worked quite a bit on them, pulling engine/trans.. doing clutches, cooling systems, etc.

How to hard is the brake actuator/accumulator to diy? The screen still looks good no orange hue to it.

bisco likes this.
  9. blackedout2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyway to tell if brake actuator/accumulator going bad

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it makes a buzzing sound when you open the drivers door, then, as needed when you apply the brakes while driving.
    as the unit leaks grow larger, the pump runs more frequently. but without knowledge to compare, it's hard to say what's normal.
    maybe prius reader software 'tech stream' can evaluate it, idk. there are lots of threads here and youtube videos on replacing it. many have diy'ed a salvage unit.

11. JahT

JahT Member

$5k seems high to me considering the amount of money you may have to put in it. If you try to talk him down, make sure you tally up the amount of money it would need. There is a reason he is selling it, and if you don't see any check engine light you may want to drive it long enough that the light would reappear (I think it is two short trips, with it off in between). Then have a way to read the check light OBD2 codes. The mileage seems reasonable, you probably don't have to worry about the brakes or A/C compressor if it was well maintained and it blows cold and stops good. But there is a reason they are selling it, so do your best to figure that out.

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are many reasons people sell cars. Selling one after only eight months is a red flag but not necessarily a deal killer.

The best car to buy is often one someone doesn’t want to sell but has to sell. A 2005 wouldn’t be my first choice and $5k is on the high side of price given work you know you have to do. But, it’s possible the car and the repair is more than the guy anticipated and it is a negotiable good deal.

Did you even ask why he’s selling it? Like maybe his wife or kid doesn’t want it even if it’s fixed? That’s not uncommon. Also sometimes people get so pissed off about something on the car they just want to get rid of it even though it makes no economic sense.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the dipstick for deposits?

Ok so you know nothing about cars. And probably have no tools or clue.

It’s going to need a new windshield the AC is shot needs new hybrid battery new brakes and engine is an oil eating monster and if it pops the really really common ABS actuator that’s bingo right to the junkyard.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Buy the 09

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Offer him $2,000
    If he accepts immediately don’t buy it, it’s obviously got problems.

16. blackedout2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok guy. I fully built an e46 and supercharged it with an ESS. I did my own UUC stg2 flywheel and m5 clutch, swapped the diff, welded in rear subframe reinforcements and swapped all bushes. I read on THIS forum that there can be deposits left on the stick that could indicate problems. Ever heard of that with other cars? no. this is not your standard motor. So take your rude comments elsewhere.

Also the AC blows ICE COLD. The brakes have plenty of meat on them and the engine does not eat oil. Ive been keeping an eye on the level. Try again.

#15 blackedout2005, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  17. blackedout2005

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up the car for 3200. Needs a few things fixed up on it.
    Rear hatch handle section is loose, wiggles a bit, rear spoiler is also loose. Only other issue was the front bumper was replaced and needs paint. Good thing I own a business with a paint booth. Dr Prius battery life expectancy said 68%. Car gets 49 highway and about 42 city. So far so good. Only issue is front passenger head light is out, have to inspect if it's hid because it came with fogs so guessing this is a touring model. Also right rear upper taillight bulb is out. Read that it might be the LED section and might need to replace the entire unit bc the leds are not servicable? havent looked in further. Otherwise car runs great. Could use a shock and strut refresh as feels a bit soft, but maybe that's just how prius feel

ColoradoCrow and JahT like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why the animosity?

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seller's remorse???
    Yeah, people keep thinking it's a grab handle open the hatch, but it's not.
    They are likely HIDs if you have foglights, but having foglights doesn't necessarily mean it's a Touring model.
    The top light is the brake light which is a LED bank. The tail light is a standard incandescent (if it is stock).

The LEDs are not serviceable, but that hasn't stopped at least one Prius owner from opening up the enclosure and replacing the burnt-out LEDs. At the conclusion of the exercise, he did comment he wouldn't do it again. In his estimation, it was a lot of effort to go through. YMMV.

Enjoy the Prius and take ETF5's posts with a grain of salt. Sometimes his crystal ball don't work too well.

All the best.

#18 dolj, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  20. JahT

JahT Member

Glad to hear it, both of those things can be fixed when you pull the interior panel off of the lift gate. You may have to remove the hatch handle body piece and glue a broken mount, but the rest should just be loose nuts like the spoiler.

21. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have advice on the rear hatch project. Once you get the rear cover off and undo the 4 10mm nuts the hatch panel will come off. At this age the plastic is probably brittle. The 4 bolts are molded into the panel. I would put plastic epoxy all around the connection point the strengthen the connection. I did this on one car with great results but didn't do my other car and 8 months later It came loose, broke and I had to refab/reglue the bolt back in place. Which took a lot longer and was more work. Not sure if on BMW's the chemical engineers were lacking but on my 2002 Range Rover Lots of the plastics are brittle,cracking and in need of repair. The 4 dashboard panels on the Gen 2 prius are similar. and at $175 each to buy new ones. its a hefty price tag. The Rear spoiler loose has a pop rivet style grommet you can buy at the dealership for $9. I did that one too. Not a bad repair. Welcome and enjoy it! I wished I had more time to shop for mine. I would have gotten a black one.