1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2005 Prius. What should I check?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PapaMurphysLaw, May 27, 2018.

1. PapaMurphysLaw

PapaMurphysLaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    I’m going to be meeting a dealership and maybe buy a 2005 Prius (108,000 miles)! I don't have any experience in hybrids and my general car purchasing experience is limited. What can I check myself? What other tests should I do with a professional? If you know of some, please let me know the test name and where I could go to for that test. If you have any tips in general that could help me I'd greatly appreciate them. Thank you for any help!

Edit: I checked the VIN on Toyota owners and it is said to have had the BC package #6 included. Also, the dealer agreed to $4000 for the car and recently had the inverted replaced. I don’t know a ton about Prii so am not sure if the dealer is hiding something with that price or if they just don’t know. Hopefully this information will mean more to one of you pros than it did to me. Thanks!

#1 PapaMurphysLaw, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMO that seems like a lot for a car going on 14 years old.. when you say dealer is it a Toyota dealer? just remember the three most common failures on 04 to 09 Prii are the Battery $2000 and up , brake actuator $2400 and up and the cluster where the speedometer is $800..If you are at a Toyota dealer ask about these items and cost to repair if your not a fix it yourself kind of person Id avoid any car that old... you should also check for signs of water getting into the hatchback by the 12 volt battery on the right side and the spare tire area.. it comes in through seams in the body where the sealer has dried out, easy to fix if it happens.....good luck

3. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for those tips I'll keep those in mind. No, it is not a toyota dealership. Just a smaller more run-of-the-mill dealer. From what I've said and there being a few scrapes in some areas of the car, in your opinion what do you think it'd be worth?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check kbb.com for values. make sure it has 2 working fobs. find out how old the 12v and tires are. you will need complete fluid changes and plugs at 120k.
    reset the trip odo, and take her for a long test drive under varied conditions, and see what she returns for mpg's.
    all the best!(y)

WilDavis likes this.
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I second the importance of the 2nd fob. I think some dealers even say they don't have it, even when they do.

The price you negotiated could be a good one, based on kbb listed here. Of course, that is related to the current condition and upcoming repairs on the vehicle.

6. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would assume they installed a used inverter. What about the traction battery? I'd be very concerned on that, past due.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

fotomoto likes this.
  7. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that is what I was thinking as well. Also, I looked at the service history and saw things from past services that weren't on the most recent diagnostics check the dealership did. There were mentions of a leaking waterpump, and something else I didn't know what to make of..."replace hybrid battery assy 105857 550 trouble code P0A80 and P3020 hybrid battery malfunction, block #10 become weak." There was nothing of either of those on the most recent service report so I am not sure if these were repaired outside of the Toyota dealership or if they were just skipped over when the dealership took it in last month and are still current issues. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks for all your help so far!

8. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes good point! Thanks for mentioning that. Below I replied to another comment with some service history reports. The "hybrid battery assy" needed to be replaced. Is that the traction battery you are speaking of?

9. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I own a 2005 package 6, and I wouldn't buy another one unless they either 1) Certify the hybrid battery was replaced, or 2) discount the price by $3,000 (enough to pay for a replacement battery - P0A80 is a code saying the battery needs replacing).

I am on the board tonight because my 2005 battery just died. I watched a Youtube video on how to fix it, and the guy doing the demo was on a 2005. So, they are definitely coming due. He said he bought his car used, just months before.

Now, depending on where you live and how many miles are on the tank, there 'may' be a way to see how weak the battery is at a glance. The first 6 years I owned this car I got over 50 MPG for a whole tank anytime it was warm outside. Before the battery died years later I had dropped a full 10 MPG under the same circumstances. So if it is warm out, a couple hundred miles have been driven on the current tank, and the displayed MPG is 40 or below for that tank, then I'd be asking for the discount (they probably won't give it to you).

When my dealer said the battery was dead, one of the options I considered was to buy a new car and let them keep the old car. I asked him how much he would give me as a trade-in. He said "probably only about $500, after all it's got a bad battery in it". And mine is in better condition with less miles!

To you

Good luck.

BTW, here is the post I made tonight Bad Hybrid Battery & Mileage Chart | PriusChat

#10 Wayne, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Papa, I'd pass on this one. Nice job digging up the past service history.

Again, when you see a Prius this old for sale, there is an increased chance that it's for sale because of a weakening traction battery. An owner can sell it now for a few grand, or wait until the battery dies and sell it for $500- using Wayne's post as an example. A 3rd option is to put a cheap band aid on the battery to allow the car to run well for a short period of time while they shop for a newer car.

12. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see, thank you Melon! It seems like there are many prii at that age that have issues similar to this one. At what point would you consider it worth buying one with a near-death battery?

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can get one for ~$500-$1,000, like Wayne was quoted, then you can put in a new OEM battery and be ahead compared to your current strategy. Of course, then other things can still go wrong since your still dealing with a 10+ year old car.

14. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for my endless questions but there are some new batteries available for $2000-2500. Would a prius still be worth getting if it was $1500-2000 or do you have other factors in mind for why you'd suggest $500-1000?

15. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the reality is you can take your money and spend it on a newer non hybrid car that gets almost 40mpg (a little research will give you a good list to pick from) the money you will spend fixing up an older hybrids far out weighs the fuel savings.. 90% of the mom and pop repair shops will not touch them because they dont know how to fix them.or they will lie about knowing and screw something up. every trip to the dealers will be very expensive.. you can find a nice newer civic or focus for $5000... also Id avoid buying from the dealers they really dont know anything about the cars they sell.. they buy them at auction by the truckload clean them up and flip them. as you found out by digging up the service history yourself on this 05.. good luck in the search

16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any Prius with a new hybrid battery that still under warranty is worth more to me than one that doesn't. It should raise the value of the car for someone in the know and is a good selling point against another car the same year and similar mileage and condition.
    JMO

17. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    true but from what ive heard the warranty is only 3 yrs and is non transferable on the traction battery .. so when you sell the car the new owner isnt covered..

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let’s just stick with the traction battery issue, Toyota’s are very well built.
    An 07 prius is going to need one, after it gets a new factory battery it’s going to get 50+ mpg for five years, how many cars on the road get 50+ mpg, are dependable, and don’t emit diesel fumes.

Looking at the big picture, you can get into a great car for 1/4th the cost of a new car, and as brakes and tires wear as they do with every car, simply maintain.

Just be sure to buy a clean prius, no wrecks, no flooding etc.

So, 3-4,000$ for the car, 3000$ for a new traction battery, good for five years, win-win.

Estew808 likes this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The point is they last a really long time but all batteries fail eventually. A new hybrid battery in a Prius is a second lease on life.
    A warranty is all in the details.

20. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thank you. So it looks like getting a 2G Prius below 130,000 miles will always have this type of issue. Would it be worth getting a 150,000+ with the battery changed? For some cars it isn't a good idea to buy used at that many miles but I think I read something saying prii are in better condition at higher miles and more worth buying or something? What're your thoughts as my budget is below $5500?