1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2008 Prius 77k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by phililp1158, Aug 13, 2018.

1. phililp1158

phililp1158 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m considering buying a 2008 Toyota Prius Liftback for $7,600. My concern is the age of the hybrid battery being over 10 years old and having to replace it sooner than later. The Carfax report is clean but the car has only 2,000 miles in the last 7 months and from what I read the longer the car sits the worst off the battery is.

Is the age of the car something I should be overly concerned about?

Will a car inspection be able to tell me if the hybrid battery is healthy?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, a battery with low miles and sitting for awhile is a recipe for disaster. but there is no way of knowing how long it will last.
    a check with tech stream will tell you the current voltages under load, but cannot predict the future either.

if the car runs with no dash lights, deduct the cost of a prolong charger from your offer to start rehabbing the battery.

ITBland likes this.
  3. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Factor in 2k for the new battery.. if you're okay with it then yea go for it. The price seems a bit high, also check with edmunds to see their true market value, and not kbb which is overpriced.