1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2012 Prius - Battery Considerations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jeff haskell, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jeff haskell

jeff haskell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm interested in buying a pre-owned 2012 Prius with approx. 60,000 miles but I'm worried about the battery replacement. Can you please share how many miles (on average) one can expect to get out of an original Prius battery? I don't know for sure but I've heard a new battery (or batteries) cost about $3,000 from the dealer. Is that other's experience? Did anyone buy a battery from other than a dealer? If so, what was that cost and experience like? Thank you so much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you have an 8/100 warranty in florida. on average, the battery is good for 150-200k, but each car is not an average, and some go shorter and some longer.

3k is probably right in your area. you can call some dealers and ask. around the country, some have found them for under 2k, plus a few hundred for independent installation.

all the best!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jeff haskell

jeff haskell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Bisco,
    Thank you for your warm welcome.
    Do you know the Florida statue which provided for the 8/100 warranty?
    Have you bought an replacement battery from a non-dealer?

Thank you again!

Best.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not florida, it's toyota. that is there standard warranty unless you live in a 'carb' state. (google) which provides for 10/150.

i have not had to replace a battery, but the only non dealer new replacements would be hybrid shoppes who do a lot of them and get them wholesale from the dealers.

there have been a few reports here around the country for $2,200. installed.

there is a good shop in tampa, and also on the space coast.

5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The common belief is that years will have more of an impact on the battery life, compared to miles. Some people believe that 10 years is a conservative estimate, although many Prii have lasted longer with the original battery.

The caveat is that your Prius cannot be a salvage. If it is, then the hybrid battery warranty (8 years/100k miles) is voided.

6. jeff haskell

jeff haskell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bisco and MelonPrius,

Thank you both so very much.

Maybe it's just me but I was able to borrow a 2012 Prius for sale by a dealer and those blind spots on the back/side are kind of a deal breaker for me. I lose a lot of space I'm accustomed to depending on when I drive both on streets and the highway. I have an old Altima where I can see just about everything. It's very scary for me to lose that visibility. The dealer wants $11,900 for it with 58,260 miles on it plus a Doc fee of $689 (some dealer charge, seems arbitrary but they said most dealers charge $800-$1,000) plus Total Licenses and Fees of $490) plus state and local fees bring the total cost to $13,887. Seems like a good price for a car with tires in great shape and drives well. I'm not sure what fiance interest rate they're charging but with $2,000 down and a 48 month payment period my monthly would be $291.09. I guess that's good?

I'm just having trouble getting past those blind spots. Did you all adapt to that?

Thanks so much.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the blind spots are brutal, i try to be extra careful, but there's always a time when a pedestrian is in just the wrong spot. i guess you make due, but it's not easy. and this has been going on for 14 years, idk what toyota is thinking.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! Florida is a big place. Where in FL? If you're close to Tampa, try Listings - Tampa Hybrids Inc.. Todd doesn't finance and he doesn't dicker. I like that last part because I know from the start what the car costs, just like buying other stuff. And, if it does come to a hybrid battery replacement, he has choices and options that are better than a Toyota dealer.

As for the blind spots, I hear that complaint on lots of newer cars, not just Prius.

9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I came from an older Forrester and a gen1 xB. Both of those cars were virtual fishbowls with great visibility. I was very nervous with the huge blind spots in the Prius.

But a simple $7 purchase at PepBoys for blind spot attachments to my side mirrors solved the problem. It might be overkill but both my side mirrors and the blind spot mirrors are positioned to see traffic close to me and not give me the same view as the rear view mirror.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just press the honk twice before backing up. This Prius means business.