1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a 2015 Volt ?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by smallschumi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. smallschumi

smallschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With 85K trouble ,free miles on a 2012 PIP, I am a happy camper.

With miles piling up and with the need for another car, I am looking at 2015 Volt. HOV plate is major factor as both me and my wife commute hence looking at electric or plugins but not at a point to go to Tesla territory or to EV's with less than 100 mile range

Currently 2015 Volts are advertised starting $24K and with $7.5 k federal rebate, we are looking at $17K net price ( plus tax , tag etc) . I hope this can be brought further down.

Probably I am asking the wrong crowd but what are your thoughts?

With heavy depreciation, I am also looking at Lease option but they seems to be not very attractive

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With heavy depreciation, lease options would be high, leasing companies don/t want to lose money. At 17k after tax credits it is probably worth a gamble. By the way the $7.5k rebate only works if you pay at least $7.5k in Federal taxes in the year in which you buy the car.
    I doubt you will see much more of a price reduction.

Silver bullit likes this.
  3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would buy it and not worry about residual value after 2 or 3 years if for the net price you mentioned. The buying price was low to begin with.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where are you seeing a new Volt for $24k? It says $34k on Chevy's website, so $27k after tax credit, same for the 2016 model.

Like Munpot42 said, make sure you'll actually get the $7500 credit. I've heard with a lease you can pretty much have the dealer get the tax credit and lower your total price, so a lease may make sense if that's true and you wouldn't get the full tax credit (I haven't tried this myself).

Silver bullit likes this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Around here a base Volt is $30821. If you can get one for $24000 before the tax credit, grab it. There can't be much risk on the down side at that price.

When the Chevy dealer lures me in with a gimme I always offer to trade Mom's 2012 Malibu even up for a Volt as that is all it is worth to me. He always tries to get me to buy one. I always decline.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    For the same reason of depreciation, I switched to a ford fusion "energi" and I'm extremely happy with the change over

7. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Its likely you are seeing misleading advertised prices that have already reduced the price by the potential $7500 tax credit.
    II its a legitimate price and your eligible for the full $7500 tax credit I don't think you can go wrong!

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Run the other way!

DBCasidy

9. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    50k miles on my 2012 Volt and all I've done to date is change the oil once and needed to buy new tires last weekend. The back seat is tiny, if you don't need to carry more than two adults (except for short trips) I'd say go for the new Volt.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why buy the 2016 Volt? Look and drive other vehicles first.

DBCassidy