1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a Prime - need some input

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by wannabuyaprius, Sep 29, 2021.

1. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really?!? I have to go find a newer Prime to test drive. I would love to have that. We are going to keep our 2017 until parts fall off, but I'm looking forward to that. Tesla is supposed to be sending over a Model Y Performance, but their autopilot system is dangerous based on my experiences with Teslas.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not having driven Tesla or any cars with self-driving features, I can't really compare, but Toyota TSS2.0 on current PP is not a self-driving feature at all. For one thing, if you keep your hands off the wheel longer than a few seconds, the car will beep at you. It was semi-useful feature on a long stretch of interstate driving, and far better than the previous iteration of TSS1.0 with the LDA alone, but still I do not trust it to hand over the driving to the car. Your best bet may be to install a comma.ai?

JMalmsteen likes this.
  3. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a 2016 Prius Four with just LDA. The LTA on the '22 prime is both better and a little weird. If you are using dynamic cruise control it tries to keep you centered in your lane but I've found it a little aggressive resulting in ping-ponging a bit. Sometimes it's pretty smooth but then it'll say I'm not giving enough input so you have this little tug of war with your own steering wheel just to let it know your hand is still there. It does a better job of pulling you off the line if you do stray and can follow turns in the road even pretty tight curves.

The LDA on the 2016 was barely noticeable. Unless you were looking at the dash for the steering wheel icon to pop on you wouldn't know it was doing anything. It definitely wouldn't stop you crossing a line or going off the road. It didn't give great feedback beyond a dash warning and the hint of a nudge to the wheel.

JMalmsteen likes this.
  4. Inspectorman

Inspectorman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WELL DONE!!

Marine Ray likes this.
  5. Inspectorman

Inspectorman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We have purchased two used Prius and have been happy with both. Purchased a 2010 in 2011 and just traded it in on a 2018 PP. Except for tires, the 2010 had zero issues up until last April, 2021 and it needed an expensive brake booster assembly. The car did go thru several recalls though.