1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a prius - which should I get, tough choice

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by megaoptimus, Mar 18, 2019.

1. megaoptimus

megaoptimus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Short and sweet: Looking to purchase a used prius to keep for the next several years or so.

Cheaper option: 2017 P2, 45,172 miles Used 2017 Toyota Prius For Sale ($17,560) | Vroom
    - $17,560 + $499 delivery fee. I'm not clear on exactly what is included on this trim. Wireless phone charging? Didn't drive this one, cloth seats.

Bit more pricey 2016 P3 touring, 24,997 miles: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/766314744/overview/
    - $22,970 + $299 dealer doc fee, certified. However, the car is a bit dirty and the windshield has a small "star" crack in it. Not CPO worthy IMO, asking them to reduce price if I take it "as-is". I drove this one and it was very nice. It has that fake leather seats. Really comfy to me. Are these seats the same as the one above just in softex "leather" instead of cloth?

Recommendations and opinions much appreciated!

Disappointing there's still no carplay option at the very least.

Wireless phone charging is nice to have, but not needed so long as I have two USB ports. I may even replace the stock radio in the P2 with one that works with Carplay. So add that to the cost, maybe about $500. I wouldn't bother doing that with the P3 Touring because the built in Nav + wireless charging is acceptable.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the P2 and price, but either is good. if you like the 3, go for it!

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P2.

All day long.
    Not even close.

Unless it's a FACTORY CPO program, the only 2 things the a "preowned" certification means is that (1) the vehicle was pre-owned and (b) the person selling the vehicle is probably a crook.
    Since there is such a glut of new and used vehicles, and since Priuses aren't exactly flying off of the shelf, and since gas is relatively cheap outside of the left coast - even 'real' factory CPO programs are almost never worth the extra money.

$499 for a "delivery" fee for a USED car?

From WHERE? :eek:
    Why not just go there and get it?

The "Docs" fee doesn't bear mentioning.
    I didn'y pay much more than that the last time I bought a HOUSE, and you may rest WELL assured that there was a LOT more paperwork!

I smell unrefrigerated fish.

Also....be advised that now is about the worst time to buy a car.
    A lot of people have tax refund money burning a hole in their back pocket, and dealers are generally amoral crooks, but they're not STUPID amoral crooks.

They know a motivated buyer when they see one approaching.

What YOU want to do is to find a motivated seller!

Good Luck!

#3 ETC(SS), Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The $499 fee is for vroom.com to send the car to Kenya on a truck. I’ve no idea where they are located. I would be purchasing the p2 site unseen. The mileage on the 2017 p2 tells me it was driven a lot, but the carfax is clean and the price is better.

I think I’ll be happy with either car. IF the dealer will come down to $20-21k on the P3 touring and give me 5500-6k on my car, I may go that route. Beyond the price, the P3 is really nice with low miles. They just need to fix that windshield.

IF not, I’ll get the p2 and Sell my car privately.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the 2017 Prius Two, there is no wireless phone charging. Both the Two & Three have spare tires. The Two has drivers door SKS, the Three has 3 door SKS.
    The newer 2017 added Blind Spot monitoring but this one , like mine, does not have that,. In 2016, many of the safety features were only available in packages.
    I have had no windshield issues with my Two. They advertised a head reducing windshield for the Two Eco, so I suspect the Three has it too. Perhaps that is why there were so many cracked windshield issues.

In my opinion the Two looks like the better option.

6. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just got back from the dealer.

Got them down to $22,500 with a $5k trade on the P3 touring. Still, that P2 is starting to look like the better deal. Do I really need to pay thousands of dollars more for a P3 with lower miles and tech I mostly don’t care about?

It sounds like the P2 is the better deal to me.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the market for a used car too so I know the no-good-choices feeling. Honest question - how would you feel about buying an ex-Uber/Lyft car (given the way some of these carshare drivers drive)?

Not sure how I feel about Vroom.com and Carvana - I understand what they're doing but I have a really hard time buying a car without driving it. From what I've seen, I feel that Carvana pricing is kind of inflated (not sure about Vroom) and I would rather just haggle with a dealer - I figure the money I save is like paying myself to work tax-free.

I do have a bit of advice:

If you have a CarMax nearby, at the very least get an appraisal from them. Also check the KBB tradein program that gives you a guaranteed trade-in value at a local participating dealer. At the cost of some of your time, you might get a little leverage on negotiating the trade-in value.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The P3 Touring has 17 inch wheels instead of 15 inch. Some people find the ride of the small sidewall 17 inch tires a little harsh. The wheels are heavier too.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually bought my Gen 4 after negotiating long distance. I then test drove it once, decided to buy and took delivery all on the same trip. The was a trusted Gen 1 Prius owner at a Toyota dealership though.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's sorta what I was thinking.
    If there was wiggle room on the P3 then there will be wiggle room on the P2.

45,000 miles doesn't scare me for a 2017 with a clean record.

Kenya, huh?
    Yeah....I guess, but they're going to need a boat too. :D

I'm not familiar with Vroom.com, so I cannot say whether they're better or worse than a stealer but I do know that the car will be $5,000 cheaper to start with.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can attest to that. I test drove the Prime first and then, minutes later, drove a trim 3 touring over the same route. The Touring wasn't nasty by any means, but I for sure felt the road "texture" more than in the Prime.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    LOL, opps, that was my phone autocorrect hahaha. I meant I have no idea from where vroom would be shipping it to me. I'm in montana.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Big difference!! :D

It's often helpful to have your location in your profile info. That way, if you have questions about where to find some sort of service or something, the people here who would like to help have a point of reference. ;)

Prodigyplace and padroo like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought the Prime had 17 inch wheels.

15. megaoptimus

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They try to milk every little thing. "3 LCD displays in the front" LOL One, I assume is the speedometer.

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but you still test drove the thing.

I'd like to see a listing for a car with TVs in the headrests and doors. I saw one a few weeks ago at a show.