1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying a prius with non-oem tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Alice Mya, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to get Primacy MXM4 wheels on a brand new prius model 5 at the time of purchase and sell the crappy oem tires to the dealer for credit? I know it is kind of a weird question, and I'm not sure if it makes sense.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is going to be entirely (it a pun) up to the dealer. Best of luck. I would just wait 55,000 miles and get the tires you prefer once they wear out.

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last I knew the Five comes with Toyo tires but a Two thru Four Plus Performance will come with MXM4's. If you order a Five Plus Performance it gets the package installed in port like all the others do, but the Toyo tires are removed from the factory Five wheels and installed on the Plus Perf wheels. All the other models come with 15's so there are no tires to swap over to the Plus Perf wheels so they get the Michelin's :)

Mike

4. Alice Mya

Alice Mya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really want the Michelin MXM4 rather than the toyo tires I heard so many bad things about them. Will the dealer install the MXM4 for me instead?

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They will sell you the Michelin's but I understand you get what Toyota ships on the car otherwise :( If you order a Two Three or Four with the Plus Performance package you will get Michelin MXM4 tires. If you order a regular Five or Five Plus Performance, you get the Toyo tires :( If you already have a Five and the Toyo's, you can order the Michelin's from Tire Rack or go to a local tire shop and have them order the tires and install them there. A Toyota dealer can do the same but watch the prices and install costs as they might take you for a ride but then again they might be real honest and low cost. Just be careful. Find out first what the tires cost at Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels then go to your favorite tire shop and see if they will sell you the tires at the same or lower cost as Tire Rack.

Mike

Alice Mya likes this.