1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a replacement Prius

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pbratt, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe an EV makes sense even IF you do the occasional road trip. A lot of vacations commence with a plane trip and a car rental. Maybe just be resigned to a car rental for road trips commencing from home as well.

Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I was thinking that it was just the opposite. If you travel 300 miles a month, your average BEV is overkill in cost and capability. The Prime is less expensive and will easily handle the short trips without using the engine. The recommended i3-rex is close to $50,000

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's going to depend on whether you actually need the ICE in non-road-trip driving. I routinely drive farther than my battery will take me. But, if I had a 200-mile range, that would meet all my city driving needs and we could take the wife's Prius with more storage on long trips.

I keep going back and forth. Sometimes I think a Tesla M3 Standard Plus would be prefect in combination with the wife's Prius. But then again, my Prime is so close to perfect that it would be a waste to replace it right now. Plus, it's a fantastic road trip car. Maybe in another three years? By then, who knows what kind of cool EVs will be available?

Merkey likes this.
  4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I experimented with having one car for local driving and using rentals for long distance, for about 1.5 years. Worked out well. I got to drive a variety of newish cars on the rentals while avoiding putting miles on my car.

jerrymildred and Merkey like this.