1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a used 2010 Prius vs. new 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Arctic_White, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Arctic_White

Arctic_White Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I'm in a slight dilemma here.

I can either pick-up a (used) base 2010 Prius with 29,000 kms (less than 20K miles). Grey in colour.

Or:

2010 Touring (blue!) for $8,000 (Cdn.) more.

For new Priuses, the difference b/w the base trim and the touring trim is $4,000 and i'm willing to pay that much in order to enjoy LED headlights, fog lights, JBL system, blue-tooth, auto-dimming mirror, among other featuers.

My questions to you kind folks are:
    1) shall i save the entire $8,000 and go buy the used Prius?
    2) anyone here has the base Prius? Are you happy with your decision?
    3) anything i should look out for when purchasing a used Prius?
    4) for folks driving loaded Prius, do you regret your decision and would rather save the money and get a base model?

I like the Blue colour more as we already have a grey TSX. But i'm unsure whether spending $8,000 more is a good idea. Simply put: $8,000 buys a lot of repairs (in case the used Prius breaks down).

My brain tells me to go buy the used Prius, but my heart loves the blue colour with larger tires, JBL audio, and LED headlights.

Most likely i'll be keeping this car for 15+ years.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards,

TC (Truly Confused)

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a lot of gas for $8K. It is hard, I have gotten screwed on just about every used car I bought.

I totally enjoy my base (II) model. Don't need anything else.

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Save the cash and buy the used Prius. Upgrade to HID headlights for about $55 and then upgrade the stereo for about $1000 and you'll have something that sounds MUCH better than the JBL system and you'll have a great set of headlights. For about $500-$1200 you can purchase a nice set of 17" or 18" with tires (but you'll lose some MPG).

New cars are great but there are great deals to be had on used cars that will save you a bundle! You might want to wait a little long and keep searching for a low priced car that has the advanced technology package you are looking for. Back in 2002 when I was looking to purchase a used Corvette, it took me 3 months to find the exact package I wanted. I eventually found it (with 18k miles on odometer) and saved approx. $18,000 vs. buying a new one. I did the same for my 2002 Chevy Silervado (purchased in 2004). New the truck would have been approx. $20,000 and I bought one used for $12,000.

I'm sure you already know this stuff but I had to put it out there. IMO, never by new if you can help it or unless you are filthy rich. lol

1 person likes this.
  4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really enjoy my Gen III (II) model as well and picked it over 2 black III's simply because I liked classic silver with grey interior over black with a beige interior. Never regretted it. Lucky for me it happened to be cheaper. :D

1 person likes this.
  5. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Go new with the touring you will be more than happy with it!
    Can you make a deal on a 2011?Your keeping it 15 years?
    Get the color you want, Nothing like a new car!

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing like taking a trip to the Caribbean with the money you saved on buying a used car. :p

1 person likes this.
  7. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without knowing the history behind the used car, it's impossible to make a choice here.

How many previous owners, was it a rental, city/highway, was it modded (grill block?), etc etc ?

1 person likes this.
  8. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you think you'll keep it for that long, go for the new one. I don't know your financial situation, but if you can afford the new one, but decide to save the $8k, I think you'll always regret not having the Blue Touring and the bells and whistles that come with it.

1 person likes this.
  9. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - Interest rate, calculate total money paid to own both.

- USB plug, older G3 models don't have it.

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But with the older model the OP would likely look into installing an aftermarket stereo since the used vehicle didn't have JBL. :) In that case the OP would have USB, iPod, better Nav, etc..

1 person likes this.
  11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, aren't we a bunch of help! It looks like the responses are about 50% save money, 50% buy new.

I personally go used when I can, and never had a problem (except my very first purchased car, which had a dinged rim, which I should've noticed on the test drive, but just assumed because it was a $2K cheap car it wouldn't ride real nice, and it was still probably smoother than my 25-year-old bug was...but when I had to replace the rim years later I was amazed at how smooth the car really was).

My last two cars have been new, but that's because there wasn't much price difference between new and used (in early 2006, there were very few old Prii on the market of the Gen II style, and given the waiting lists for a new one, they had high prices). Since you are keeping it a long time, you probably can rationalize a new one, but still, $8K over 15+ years = $500/year. If you don't have a burning need for the options on the higher end package, I'd say go with the used one.

Silver wasn't my first choice, but then the Prius shape wasn't my cup of tea either. But it's very practical and efficient, so I accepted it. Going for the base model was my primary intent (over color), and I never regretted it. Now of course, I have the EBH installed, the rear-window wiper lift-limiter removed, the green glare on the windshield at night blocked, and other things to make it mine. I might keep mine for 15 years too, depending on the economy in 5 years.

1 person likes this.
  12. Arctic_White

Arctic_White Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your help, folks!

After the test-drive, i realized that Prius is not the right car for me. Therefore, i have decided to not get the Prius.

Regards,

TC