1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying a used engine - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jfrench, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My '08 Touring needs a new motor.

I'm looking on car-part.com and finding some promising engine candidates - one 82k miles for $600 or so, one 5382 miles for $400. Plus shipping...I requested quotes on both with any additional info they can give.

I'm lining up a dealer to do the work. What should I be asking about these engines before buying one? Anything I should be aware of?

2. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it were me, and I was getting someone to put in an engine I would try to get him to pick it and warranty it. I bought a tranny from the salvage guys off 969 and had them install it. it was 600 for the tranny and 600 to install it. The car was a civic hybrid and I didn't have time to mess with it and couldn't find another kid car for 1200 so I just paid it. Worked out pretty good. If the salvage guys install a bad engine they have lots more to make it right. Good luck!

Jfrench likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would pull all the spark plugs and see if any of the them look like they had oil on them. They should all look like my picture. The plugs had 110,000 mile on them.

Also see if any of the spark plug wells have oil in them. You will see a stain on the cop boot.

I would do some maintenance on the new engine your buying as its very easy out of the car. I would pull the valve cover and replace the valve cover gasket as a leaking valve cover gasket is very common on a G2. It fills up the spark plug well with engine oil and eventually get a misfire. Also with the valve cover off you can see what kind of life the motor has seen is it black or burnt oil or is it very clean with no hardened deposits. Burnt on crud is dino oil. Clean is synthetic oil. if really bad I would pull the pan off and look in there. All this take down is super fast with an impact gun. if you don't have one I highly recommend investing in a 20 Volt Dewalt impact gun with a socket adapter end. Most versatile tool I own.

And with that all dissembled check the 2 pvc hoses that go from the valve cover to the throttle body. Pull them off and check the ends. Mine were all cracked on my 120000 mile engine. See picture.
    If the ends are cracked they need to be replaced.

I would pull the throttle body off and clean it top to bottom. And spin the water pump and feel for any thing bad it should spin effortlessly and smooth no noise as there will be no water in the engine. I would pull the water pump idler off and lubricate the bearing. Then I would install a new belt on it. Make sure you go back in and adjust that belt after a few miles. The new belt is very stiff and after some miles it really loosens up. Last thing you want is to throw that belt as it will kill your new motor with an overheat.

The engine coolant 3 way valve is mentioned alot on here too.

All of these are common maintenance issues with this motor and super easy with the motor off.

keep in mind its really difficult to get the air out of the engine after full engine coolant dump. Hundreds of threads about that. Please use search forum button up top and start reading up on that.

Good Luck.

Attached Files:

#3 edthefox5, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  4. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, I'm going to abandon this plan and take the engine that the dealer is offering me for free (something salvaged from one of the Priuses he's got on hand).

5. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    according to another thread the dealer should be charging you 1600 dollars to swap it out and I would consider that a Huge win if you can get back on the road for that. Hopefully you will get another 100k or better out of it. good luck!

Jfrench likes this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not buy an engine and have someone else install it. If they install a used engine and it is bad you have to pay twice for the installation. I always say let them supply the engine and install it. If it isn't right it's their bady.

Jfrench likes this.