1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying a used HV Prius battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lauejp, Apr 19, 2007.

1. lauejp

lauejp New Member

I'm the guy with the dead HV battery in my 2002 Prius with 119,000 miles on it. After getting a quote from my Toyota dealer of $3700 to replace the battery and a $1500 rebate from Toyota, I found a used battery through Ebay from a local salvage dealer in LA. He claims the battery came from a car with 18,000 miles on it (totalled from a wreck), and wants $1100 for it--$1500 installed. Once again, I'm asking for some advise on what to do--take a chance on the salvaged battery--30-day guarantee--or buy the new one from Toyota for 1200-1500 more--12 month guarantee--I'm open to any suggestions, advise, etc. Thanks, John L.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats on your first self initiated thread!

Next, you said the battery would be $1500 installed...do you mean the dealer would install the $1100 battery for $400? I'm not sure if that's a good install price or not.

Next thought is that you should have the option of returning the battery to the salvage guy AFTER you've had a chance to have the Prius guys test it with their diagnostic tools to be sure it hasn't been seriously depleted and that all the individual cells are OK.

Do you know how long the salvage yard has had the battery? If more than 3-4 months I'd be a little concerned that the charge could have been depleted to a seriously low level and would want that checked...if it's a new wreck then it's probably a very good deal.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Echoing what Evan has said, $400 installation seems high. The best techs can perform a battery swap in less than an hour (as we have read here). Would like to know also how long that salvage battery has sat on a shelf. Once installed, the battery can be tested with the Toyota THHT.

If you can obtain the VIN of the salvage vehicle, Toyota should be able to tell you if it needed the SSC 40G reseal, and if it has been performed.

If you offer the salvage yard 90% of their price and walk towards the exit, the price might turn out to be flexible.

In your position I would go for the salvage.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Dan is right on on the price negotiability of the battery...do a search for completed items on e-bay and I bet you find a bunch for ~$500. also, this is not a high demand part at all....and if it doesn't sell within 6 months it could become so much depleted electrolyte and nickle that would serve well as a large boat anchor.