1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying additional smart key for 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by savedlatin, Dec 28, 2020.

1. savedlatin

savedlatin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriusChat folks! My fiance and I just purchased our first car ever, a used 2007 Prius. It came with only one smart key (the kind that unlocks the door via proximity), but we'd like to each have one.

I've read old threads on this site, and from what I can see, you can program a smart key yourself with the "chicken dance," but have to buy the second key fob new from the dealership to do so.

Back when those threads were posted in 2010 or so, a new key cost $100. But I've called around to a half-dozen local dealerships, and a new key now costs $250 just for the key, and ~$400 for key + programming. That would literally be 1/10 of the price we spent to buy the car!

Is there any means by which someone can purchase a key more cheaply and then do their own chicken dance with it, or is the dealership the only option? And if we were to buy a new dealership key and then chicken-dance it ourselves, will the original key still continue to work?

2. jgcannon2

jgcannon2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a new one from my dealership for about $154. Maybe go on the Toyota parts site to find the part and it'll show you nearby dealers and with their price is.

And yes, your original key should continue to work.

3. savedlatin

savedlatin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've called eight local Toyota dealerships and the lowest price I was quoted for the key itself (without labor costs) was $223 before tax. Some of the quotes were as high as $300. If anyone wants to buy and mail one, I'll happily Venmo you!