1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Advice: 2007 Prius w/ Oil and Cat Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by c.ortiz108, Dec 15, 2022.

1. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the scoop:

180k miles
    Newish hybrid battery replaced around 30k miles ago
    Burning around 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles
    Mechanic said catalytic converter will need to be replaced "eventually"
    Body has a few dings, interior not bad, regular model - not with leather seats

Buyer is asking $4,750, which these days is not bad around here (northern NM). The only other Gen 2s currently on Craigslist are $6-$9k.

I'll be using for a couple of longish trips - NM to CA, for example, but not daily driving after that.

Should I run, or is it a reasonable deal?

#1 c.ortiz108, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  2. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the cat oem? Was the replaced hybrid battery a new oem version? Value largely depends on answers to these questions.

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because the engine is burning lots of oil you're going to clog the cat. But a replacement cat is only $100 and less than a couple hours work to replace so that's easy. What's not easy is your engine is bad. You could probably revive it with a piston soak recipe and get a year or two of life out of it. And if you're up for it a used low mileage engine for Prius are reasonably priced and a swap isn't much different from a regular car engine swap. Plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how...

Also, when people say they replaced the hybrid battery, sometimes that means brand new pack which will last for more than a decade and can be used in your next Prius too; and sometimes that means that means they replaced it with a rebuilt pack, which aren't much cheaper than new, but only last for 3 months to 3 years before they fail again.

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  4. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing the cat is the original, and that the battery is whatever Toyota typically sends authorized repair garages (rebuilt, I think?). But I'll check for sure.

Yeah, I'm don't have the skills to install a new cat let alone a new engine. It sounds like a project which could get expensive if I have a professional do it.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An old Prius has the potential to be expensive. Generally can last longer (more miles) than "normal" cars but it is more complex.

It is best suited to someone who has decent DIY skills, tools, space and time to work on it as needed. Or someone who has enough money to be able to pay for repairs if (when) needed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a slight discount on a $5,000 pile of parts, and there might only be $3,100 in useful parts there. Run.

c.ortiz108 and Tombukt2 like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it can get expensive with a professional doing it that is a fact. Maybe get a gas Corolla for the sitting periods you describe Yaris etc

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  8. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be comfortable with something under 100k and a newish hybrid battery, and not gobbling oil. But I guess those are getting harder to find these days. I just don't like buying with known impending issues.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There's (still) strong demand out there, and very little supply.

Any car not actively spitting out hunks of wet metal is priced above $10k right now, and fewer than half of them are worth it.

Good luck!

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not to jack your thread too hard, but there's all sorts of stuff pointing towards greater availability of used cars in 2023.

Most aren't quite as alarmist as this one.

That thread, in a nutshell, suggests that banks are ready and willing to massively back-stab each other just to loan people money to get on the road, at a level not seen before.

Ain't gonna be pretty.

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  11. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good point, thanks. Seems similar to what happens with the housing market ever 10 years or so. Might be good to just wait a while.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If there's any way one can wait now is not the time to be falling over oneself to put something in an empty driveway me personally if I was out a car right now I'd be riding my big bore scooter a lot and waiting till I found another generation too worth buying it's out there it's around the person with it is itching to get something new or they're old and getting ready to expire either way there's plenty of them out there I see them daily just in my state alone so I know they're all over the country these cars don't see a lot of what regular small cars seem to get these cars seem to stay on the road quite well. Generation 2 everything closes with a nice thud no rattling etc . The gen3 is a lil more flimsy.

c.ortiz108 likes this.
  13. c.ortiz108

c.ortiz108 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I almost bought a Gen 3 last year but read too many horror stories about them here and elsewhere, so I was scared off them. Can't a afford a Gen 4, and loved my previous Gen 2s. I only sold them because of moves.

ColoradoCrow and bisco like this.