1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying advice for NorCal

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Sanjath, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Sanjath

Sanjath Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any advice for buying in Bay area? what dealerships to avoid or if it is worth looking at the dealership outside bay area. I am guessing that deals are hard to come by here, except for the TFS offer. If there are things that I should be aware, I would appreciate any pointers.

Also, any commentary on if advanced model is worth the extra 8k.

Thanks in advance. Feeling envy of NY guys getting better deal, but then again HOV lane is worth something!

2. tkrishnan

tkrishnan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought in the Bay Area 3 weeks ago. An idea that has struck me since is buying on the east coast (where incentives are greater) and shipping the car to the Bay Area. I think you would still save more than buying here. Also, I believe you would still be eligible for CA HOV stickers and rebate.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us go to Dianne at Carson Toyota. The buying experience is fantastic and quick! :) I heart Dianne.

I've heard good things about Sunnyvale Toyota as well.

4. yukit

yukit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked out 3 dealers:
    1. Sunnyvale -- good Yelp rating, I liked the staff there when I dropped by
    2. Putnam -- Andrey Kamenetsky has a good reputation (just email exchange)
    3. Stevens Creek -- closest to me & largest dealer in the area

When I was looking in Mar/Apr, nobody had a spare to sell so I ultimately picked #3 to be put on the waiting list.
    I got my car in beginning of May due to a pre-order cancellation. I did not have any leverage for price; it was take it or leave it as is. I am terrible negotiator, so I just paid the asking price. I did talk directly with a floor manager though.

One thing they did get me at Stevens Creek was the license plate the next day so I can apply for the rebate & sticker immediately.

Good luck.

Sanjath likes this.
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they aren't doing the East coast deals see how much it costs to ship from the East Coast. It's the same car.

6. Prius911

Prius911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recommend Stan Woslowski @ Sunnyvale Toyota. He's the internet sales manager, I believe.

I actually went through Costco -- they've a pre-negotiated price. You submit a form online, and within 1 day they contact you. The process was very smooth, and low stress. Stan is very helpful.

Sanjath likes this.
  7. Sanjath

Sanjath Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the answers. I dont know about buying from east coast, I feel may be too much of a hassel as I dont know the process also I am not sure if I will be able to travel even to sign the papers.

I do see that california incentive by TFS has bumped upto 2k. My current car lease ends in Nov end. I am not sure if I should jump right away or kind of wait for another 2 weeks. Risk is that all 2012 may be gone by that time.