1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying advice - ready to buy *now*

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Corvette_owner, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Corvette_owner

Corvette_owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hi there,

I'm sure this advice has been posted elsewhere, forgive me for not reading through the voluminous threads on this great forum.

I want to buy a used Prius before Dec 1st - we need it - and I don't know much about Prius, other than it has great mileage and good track record.

I want:
    - something used
    - one that doesn't plug in, just takes gas
    - bigger is better, but a "regular" Prius that seats 5 and takes a child seat will be fine
    - doesn't burn oil or any other common problem

I was just going to go to CarMax or get a Certified PreOwned from Toyota, but I want to know how I can avoid getting one that burns oil or has other common problem. I don't mind paying a little bit of a premium over market value, and I'm fine with an older Prius with high mileage, if I can get one less likely to have problems.

Your advice is appreciated and much-needed!

Sincerely,
    former Corvette_owner

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!

Your choices are the regular Prius (Prius Liftback) or the Prius v (which can hold more cargo in terms of volume). The extra length (6") may help with a rear facing child seat (so the front seat doesn't need to be scooted up as far). It ran from 2012-2017 with the midlife update for 2015 (new bumpers, new headlights, new taillights, different 16" wheel covers and slightly updated interior. Also, that's when they added more crash protection for the driver to pass the driver side small overlap crash test. Lastly, the 2015-2017 models with LED headlights scored the "GOOD" for headlight illumination and glare by IIHS). Should still be good for a solid 40mpg (officially rated at 44/40/42 back then). It has the same 1.8 litre engine as the 3rd generation Prius (but oddly enough, no oil burning problems noted... a good thing I guess??). The final drive ratio is shorter to account for the heavier body (to at least get decent acceleration) so mpg suffers a bit (40mpg vs 47-50mpg). You do sit about 1" higher in the driver's seat than the 2010-2015 Prius Liftback.

Plug-in Prius (2012-2015) will say "plug-in hybrid" on the outside (fenders as well as rear) so you can avoid those.

For a regular Prius, the consensus is that the 2nd generation (2004-2009) Prius is the most bulletproof (since that's when Toyota was proving that hybrids are reliable and that's also the generation that most taxi companies started using) except for one minor thing (see last line of this paragraph). It's officially rated at 110 system net hp (about 100hp at the wheel). Get a 2007-2009 cause that's when side airbags and side curtain airbags were made standard (better side crash safety rating). Also pick one with a backup camera so you get the higher resolution 7" LCD screen. Leather was available from 2006 onwards but no heated seats. Avoid models with HID headlights as they have been problematic.

If you want something newer, the 3rd generation ran from 2010-2015. So far, the 2010s are the ones that appear to be burning oil but we haven't heard from anyone who has a 2011 or newer. Generally they seem to appear after 100,000 miles (mine is below that so that might explain why I'm not burning any oil ... yet). LED headlights were available on the V/Five trim levels. This generation got a larger 1.8 litre engine with more torque for better passing power on the highway (not talking anywhere close to fast but it's nice to have just that little bit extra power). Officially rated at 134 system net hp.

2012 is when the 3rd generation Prius got its midlife update (lots of minor stuff upgraded/updated). It's also the range of years when an LCD screen was made standard again (2010-2011 used the old school radio interface unless you had navigation). 6.1" for lower trims (with or without nav), 7" higher resolution for those with the upgraded nav. A power driver's seat was made available for 2012 onwards. Also note that leather was substitute for SofTex (synthetic) on higher trim levels.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gen 2's are coming due for a $3,000. hybrid battery plus are mildly susceptible to some other expensive maladies

gen 3's are prone to oil burning and blown head gaskets as tide mentions above.

what is your budget, and can you do serious diy? hybrid mechanics are rare, and dealers are expensive

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Budget?
    Location?
    Maintenance ability?
    Intended use?

For about $15,000 I would encourage you to look into a Pip - or Plug-in Prius.

Yes.
    I heard you when you said that you wanted a 'wireless' car but here are my justifications:

1. More options for the money. If you live where there are four seasons and you have a lady driver in your house?
    Keywords:
    Heated Seats.

2.Better chance that it was adult-owned and taken care of.
    Older owners...perhaps even old enough to remember a long-ago time when people opened the hoods of their cars to check filters and fluids.....

3.More efficient - even if you don't plu-in. The larger traction battery will act as a bigger spit-can for your recovered energy, and when you learn more about Priuses - you can always plug it into a regular 115v outlet and enjoy 10 miles of EV driving.
    It's like the difference between buying a used Corvette versus a used Camaro.
    Different clientele.
    Different maintenance philosophies.

If your budget is significantly lower than $15,000 then we gotta talk more.....

Good Luck!!

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What year Corvette did you own? I had a 68 myself. Last year of the 327 and last year of the key on the dashboard. At least when they had old fashioned keys. ;)

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice write up Tideland. Really addressed the questions he asked taking into account what we know of him.

I'd like to know about his family. How many? Ages, Sizes if any unusual? Typical use of the car expected? Any other cars in the family to handle the few times where more luggage room or people hauling is needed? Weather expected? Budget? Must the car have a warranty?

(My extended family has 2 v wagons and a Gen 3. 80k and 50k ish miles on the v's. ~200k on the Gen 3)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you get a low mile gen 3, you can prevent future oil burning by cleaning the egr circuit and adding an oil catch can

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    non plug in's are more common so thats not a problem..
    seats 5 or car seats, lets hope they are skinny and the kids dont grow too much while you have it, 4 adults or 2 car seats are tight.
    dosent burn oil, no such animal exists, they all do with age.
    and they all have common problems thats why the problems are common...

2013 and up kia optima or hyundai sonata, 40 mpg, more passenger room, longer warranty, anyone can work on them and non of the used hybrid nightmares

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Al, do you work at a Hundai dealership or something? You sure do push them.

10. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish I did but I dont :( Im just being honest about alternatives to an old money pit prius, people dont understand the fuel savings never cover the repairs.. It dosent mean I dont like my old 08 but with the amount of expensive repairs its needed Id never recommend anyone buying one over 4 years old and never pay retail

bisco and Skibob like this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s OK Al, selling shoes is an honorable profession. ;)

12. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the things Ive seen :(
    I forgot rule #1 when you have a big'um in the chair....NEVER LOOK UP, I looked up ...

bisco and Skibob like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you see something......

14. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you cant unsee it and Ive never figured out what it was but there was a lot of it and I think it winked at me...
    I need to take my emotional support animal to my safe place now and rock slowly to the sounds of a white noise machine..
    Pray 4 Me

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thoughts and Prayers.....

Al Bundy likes this.
  16. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With my third GEN2 Prius I have to say these cars are dang near bullet proof. I have had to do nothing aside from normal maintenance. They are really a very low need vehicle and almost forget that you need to do some maintenance to them. My vote is for a well kept GEN2 just from my experience and they are becoming really affordable now.
    TomK

17. Corvette_owner

Corvette_owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all, especially Tideland, for all the helpful information.

Sounds like I should go to Carmax and see a Prius V vs. Regular Prius and decide if I need the extra space;
    - If I go with Prius V, then I'd get a 2015-2017;
    - If I go with regular Prius, then I'd get a 2007-2009 that doesn't have the HID lights, and preferably with backup camera.
    If I follow the above, then chances will be good that I won't suffer from the oil burning problems or other issues. Does this sound about right?

---

Some had asked questions, sorry if I miss any :

I prefer to spend under $10K

Location is Orange County, California

Maintenance ability - nil. I take to shop.

Intended use: daily driver , sometimes for me, sometimes for my wife who has the 4 young kids, ages 4 to 10. Groceries - sometimes. Not a lot of equipment hauling needed.

In response to the question about my vette, it was a 2008 Z06, blacked out, perfect gleaming body nary a scratch ($6K spent on paint correction and XPEL coverage alone) , a shiny sculptured muscular beast, 3200 lb with 7.0 L V8 putting out 505 hp and 470 ft lbs torque, stab the gas pedal at any legal speed and it'd violently knock you back in your seat as it lept away. One day engine blew up, $23K bill for a new crate engine installed at dealership (I had purchased GMPP coverage for just that contingency).. sold it. Sigh, fond memories. Hair grows on my chest when I just think about it.

Anyway... now I love Prius and F150s.

#17 Corvette_owner, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    audiodave likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome.

If going with an older model, budget for a hybrid battery replacement (about $2-3k including labour but not taxes. Double check with your dealers). The idea is that if the interior (and engine) is in good condition, a new battery will breathe life into the car again and it'll be like driving an almost new Gen 2 (one of the members in Australia did that and can affirm). Of course the cheaper option is to go to a scrapyard to look for a second hand one but given that you have a family, I assume you prefer something new with a warranty and is reliable. If you're in the OC, you probably have a lot of options (I mean California has a lot of Prii) so hopefully you'll find something that fits your budget.

If you need help, @DianneWhitmire has been serving PriusChat members for over 10 years. She recently moved to South Coast Toyota at Laguna Niguel Dianne Whitmire at South Coast Toyota in Costa Mesa on Harbor Blvd | PriusChat She usually deals with new car sales (and I don't know how things work in the US) but perhaps she can help locate a used car?

P.S. That Corvette sounds like a hell of a car!

19. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't. But I think they are excellent values.....new and used.

A hybrid just doesn't make sense for everybody.

20. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is a Hundai?
    TomK

bisco likes this.