1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying advice: What would you choose when looking at used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Thirty7Degrees, May 23, 2018.

1. Thirty7Degrees

Thirty7Degrees New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the market for a Gen 3 Prius. I have an older yet functional car currently, so have the advantage of not being in a rush, but like to prepare myself in knowing how to decide on a used vehicle. I'm looking at three used ones in my local area that have all been seemingly well-maintained via Carfax records and all are certified pre-owned at a local dealership: a two-owner 2013 Two with 44k miles ($15k), a one-owner previously leased 2015 Two with 26k miles (19k), and another one-owner previously leased 2015 Two with 52k miles (17k). I had initially considered the low-mileage 2015 based on conventional advice of "lower mileage is better" for used cars, and then was leaning towards the 2013 for the cheapest price. But! I understand that low mileage is not exactly a good hybrid batteries, and, of course, highway miles tend to be kinder to engines.

In my shoes, what would be the best choice in three similar cars?

2. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For that kind of money, you can get a Gen 4.

Low mileage is fine, and those are not that low anyway. The worry about battery health of low mileage hybrids really more how long they sit between drives, as in weeks or months, not days. So a Prius that gets driven 6 months a year/in storage 6 months a year might be a problem, but one that does 3K miles per year, but driven at least once a week would be a cherry.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2013, because the depreciation rate platooed, and will only go down as you put miles on it.

4. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, you're in California, which means that you'll receive a 10 year/150k mile warranty on the hybrid/traction battery. That's longer than most of the rest of the country. Estimate your annual miles and then do the math to see which of these cars will keep you under 150k miles at the 10 year mark.

Also, make sure the one you purchase is truly a California car and not from another state. Otherwise, it probably won't receive the extended battery warranty.

Since you're not in a hurry, look at what you get above the base model (II). I personally like the advanced features and you usually don't pay too much more for them on a used car.

#4 MelonPrius, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    RMB and Bay Stater like this.