1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying car right NOW. Low profile tires? Urgent

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wewantaprius, Mar 25, 2011.

1. wewantaprius

wewantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Will the fancy low profile tires being offered on the 2011 prius significantly affect the gas mileage and/or smoothness of the ride?

We are at the prius dealership buying the car now. Our choices of rims are the new shiny rims that are marked up a lot (they've taken away the brushed metal stock rims, they're no longer offered), or the low profile shiny/silver/black rims). We really don't like the new shiny stock rims. Like the low profiles, but are concerned about how they will affect gas mileage/the ride. Please respond as quickly as possible!!! Please!!!

2. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am confused what model are you looking at two, three, four or five?

Models two trough four all should have 15 inch wheels with P195/65R15 tires with plastic wheel covers over the factory wheels.

Model five should have 17 inch wheels with low profile tires sized P215/45R17.

Look in the Prius brochure and check out the pictures if the wheels on the car you are looking at getting don't look the same or match the descriptions above the have been changed. But only the model five should have low profile tires. The stock wheels and wheel covers are a silver grey color.

Hope that helps.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../65496-17-wheels-effect-mpg-2.html#post909868 has the UK spec sheet. Keep in mind those are on a totally different mileage test than the US and in larger Imperial gallons.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249.aspx is an easier to read matrix of models and options. The prices are old though and Toyota has gone away from the Roman numerals to spelling out the numbers.

I've seen gen III Priuses w/the 17" wheels, but I don't recall them being shiny. Perhaps the dealer has put on their own aftermarket wheels and is forcing you to take them w/that car. Picture #9 at http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/photo-gallery.html shows the factory 17" wheels. I don't think they're as shiny as they look in the picture. If the spoke pattern doesn't much, then they're not the stock wheels.

If the dealer is forcing aftermarket wheels, tacking it onto the price, and you don't want to pay for them, you need to find another Prius w/o them, get them to remove them and the extra cost, or you need to find another dealer.

5. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Idea behind the Prius is mileage and comfort, right? You need to check and see which is lighter the 15" steelies or the 17" mags. More weight more rolling resistance in the unsprung weight category. Wider tires can mean more weight plus the wider tread would mean more rolling resistance. They will offer more traction for braking and avoidance maneuvers, so there is a trade off. It is up to you which you prefer.

Me I am waiting for my III to come in in two more weeks so I can get started learning about my Hybrid (yes I am a Newbie too). My first attempt at a "Sipper", for I have parted with my DREAM (2004 BMW M3) for a new direction. Instead of seeing how fast I can get some where, it will be to see how little fuel I use to get there. Geez, I must be getting older.

Let the games begin and look forward to learning from you guys.

6. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Aloha and Welcome Crash0099!

Hope your car gets in soon. The stock 15" wheels on the model two thru four are not steel wheels, they are alloy wheels.

7. wewantaprius

wewantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's the Prius 4 2011 that I'm referring to. We ended up getting the low profile rims (fancy). They told us that the old alloy rims were removed and that the "new" shiny (really cheap looking rims) had been placed on the cars a week ago as a way for the company to make money, and charging a lot for these cheap looking rims. I pressed them on the issue, saying we didn't want the option of paying out the nose for cheap looking rims we don't want, or having to pay a LOT for expensive rims we didn't want either. they countered that they could put the old alloy rims back on, but would have to charge us MORE than they would for the cheapy shiny rims in order to still make their profit. so we took the low profile fancy rims instead, so we wouldn't have to pay MORE for cheap rims that we DIDN'T want. the original price of the car was actually the price of a car with NO WHEELS! (31k) they presented us the price sheet we would pay and it was more than expected, because it included wheels. i'm not sure if toyota is trying to make money, or if something really sneaky was going on here..

i found all of this a bit hard to believe. is this a toyota wide change or something sneaky the dealership is doing?

we pick up the car in the morning...

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    walk away, if you can

Sigh... If you haven't paid anything, I'd walk away from this dealer. What area are you in? Are you willing to name the dealer? Maybe someone here can suggest a better one or confirm that the one that you're dealing with sucks.

You can see for yourself from Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota and Toyota Prius Hybrid - 2011 Models: Prius Two, Prius Three, Prius Four, Prius Five what wheels are included with each model.

Who knows what they did w/the original wheels? Perhaps they decided to sell them or put them in their parts department.

Side note: If you want to see the invoice price as well as another source for MSRP, lookup the car at Edmunds.com.

9. green4u

green4u New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What the hell are you talking about??? Can you give us a better description of these rims other than "new" and "shiny" and "cheap"? Do you have the brand name??? Do you have a picture (maybe from dealers website)?? Are you talking about V rims? If so that's not a sneaky dealership, that's just part of the package V. Doesn't sound like you know a lot about rims but if you want our help you need to give us more information!!!

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    More information would help such as the above and the exact size, make and model of the tires on the car.

Prius model Five is the only one that comes w/factory 17" wheels.

Besides the photos I pointed to earlier, from http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/, if you click on Build Your Prius, and select Prius Five, you will see the wheels change. If the dealer is putting on wheels that don't look anything like the ones appropriate for the given model, they're aren't the factory wheels.

From the way I read it, the OP is getting a model Four and the dealer has removed the stock (15") wheels, put on aftermarket wheels and tires and foisting them on the OP.

11. wewantaprius

wewantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I took this picture at the dealership. Here are the low profile tires they bought:
    [​IMG]
    I think they ended up paying about $1900 for the low profile rims. they are by verde, with 5 spokes. I am not positive, but know they are larger than the 15" stock wheels; they are probably 17".

They bought a Prius IV, not the V.

I can't find any prius pictures with the rims that the dealership had on the cars, which were the "new" rims. They had many spokes on them, maybe 7 or so. VERY shiny, but looked very cheap. They looked like they'd been painted with very shiny paint..like it would chip off after a while. Very similar to this metallic painted silverware I had for my barbie doll when I was 7. Literally the rims looked like metallic painted plastic.

They looked sort of like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (found on the web. not on prii in the pics.)

Some of the Prii in the lot had these "new" rims on them, and some had the old stock rims, which we preferred. None of the cars there were the color they wanted. I did my best to try to get the dealership to put the old stock tires back on to the car my parents would buy, but in order to do that, the dealership wanted MORE money to change them, saying they needed their profit, because that was the reason for putting the "new" rims onto the cars starting last week. The difference in price between having the stock rims put back onto the car vs. the low profile tires with the high end rims (in the picture I posted above), was $996, so they decided to go with the low profile.

I will take a picture of them when I go with my parents tomorrow to pick up their car and deliver the check. The car is being brought in from another store...blizzard pearl with the low profile rims. I really hope they did not get ripped off. I did my best, but there is only so much you can do. The guy talked my Dad out of heading to another dealership about a half hour away to check things out, claiming that they would say anything on the phone to get you to come by.

They ended up paying 34k for the prius IV, w/ the low profile rims, leather interior, navigation package, and solar sunroof. 2.9%.

I very much appreciate the help here, thank you!

1 person likes this.
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I PMed w/the OP, NONE of those wheels look like stock 15" nor 17" Prius wheels.

I pointed her to these other examples of what looks like the stock wheels (since I have no 3rd gen but have seen plenty of them):
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...53&id=E3C12661 looks like the stock 15" wheels.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...40&id=E3C12661 looks like the stock 17" wheels

If you download the high res versions, you'll notice Toyota logos in the middle of them.

Models Two thru Four only come equipped with 15" wheels and per http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/features.html the tire size is P195/65R15. The stock 15" wheels should have a plastic cover on top of the alloy wheels. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ns/76268-wheels-wheel-covers.html#post1062443 is what they look like with and without the cover.

If nothing's been paid for so far, your parents are comfortable doing so and you have other alternative dealers within the area, I'd walk away from this unless they're willing to put the stock wheels back on for NOTHING extra (and you aren't paying for the aftermarket wheels either).

Is that 34K before or after tax, title and license? Since we don't know where you are, we don't know your state's tax rates nor the typical documentation fees. To make things easier, please separate out the price before TTL (but including destination charge).

From looking at Edmunds, MSRP on a 2011 Prius Four with solar package (which inludes nav package) and dest charge should be $31,660. Toyota.com under the build your Prius area says $31,790. (You might be forced to take on and pay for floor mats though.)

I don't know the exact pricing situation at the moment (in light of the current production stoppage that Toyota says will resume on Monday (http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/announcement/110324_1.html)), but if these guys are wanting more than MSRP, I'd walk away too.

13. wewantaprius

wewantaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cost before taxes and "other fees" if there were any, was $31k. The final cost with taxes etc. was $34k. The final calculated price if you paid the set amount each month for 72 months, was included in the paperwork as $44k. My mom wants to pay more than the exact required payments each month to avoid this much extra charge in interest. Our location is Southern California.

They also "claimed" after all was said and done that a 72 month payment plan rather than a 60 month payment plan was something special and done rarely. I didn't believe that for a second..it helps them because you gather interest longer.

I'm going to call the other dealership, which was far away, in the morning before going to pick up the car and bring the check, just to check on all of this. I don't think the dealership is doing anything illegal, but I would like to know if it's crooked, and I will certainly bring it up to them if it is, possibly try to get out of it if the other dealership wants to give my parents a better price/or the right wheels at no extra charge. My Mom really likes the low profile wheels, but I am quite concerned that the ride will be much more stiff, and that she won't like that.

They have signed all the papers, so I am not sure if choosing another dealer instead is even an option? The only thing that hasn't been done is delivering the check/picking up the car, which has been brought in from about an hour away.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt the loading up the car w/aftermarket crap (like the wheels) is illegal. I've seen cars in showrooms (not Toyota specific) w/all sorts of aftermarket stuff tacked on, including aftermarket wheels.

If your parents want them and are willing to pay for them, then there's no problem. If not, then walk away, if possible. As for So Cal, that's a REALLY large area but you should have plenty of Toyota dealers. I know of a ton in the LA area.

Dianne Whitmire posts a lot in Dealers & Pricing - PriusChat Forums. Her latest inventory post is at http://priuschat.com/forums/dealers...n-prius-inventory-allocation.html#post1292144. I've never met her or bought any Toyota from So Cal dealers, but (from my minimal observation) it seems she's well liked.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html might help. http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx might help too.

Good luck w/whatever they choose.

15. dustoff003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What part of the Earth are you located? This whole thing about the dealer installing after market wheels smells fishy to me. If the dealer installed aftermarket wheels they did it for the sole purpose of making money. There should also be no additional charge for having the OEM factory wheels put back on. I know sometimes dealers do customize new cars in this way but a have not heard of it being done to a Prius, has anybody else? If there are no other Prii there you like or ones that have there factory wheels don't be pressured in to buying something you don't want. I would suggest going elsewhere to get your car. Your being taken for a ride from the start.

16. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few years back when I was shopping for a Honda Accord, the dealer had installed aftermarket rims and low profile tires on the car that I liked (model and price). I just told them I didn't like the aftermarket rims and they removed them and installed the OEMs ...... and removed the aftermarket surcharges too.

Dealers will work with you a lot to get you into a car when business is slow. When sales are good, I believe they are less willing to help you out, as they know they can sell a car to someone else without dropping their profit margin.

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are trying to rob you blind and they are lying to you! A Prius is not even worth $34 k. I'm in Chatsworth this weekend and I'd be more than happy to help your parents talk sense into this dealer if you're in this area. I can't stand sleezy salespeople! They probably forced an extended warranty and paint sealant on you too didn't they?

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you should have gone to different dealership, they forced wheels on you so dealership can make more money... there is nothing illegal about it, you should have refused it and gone to other dealership... it is socal, there are probably hundreds of dealers close to you!

19. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Regardless of the wheels and deals, I'll assume you have your new Prius now, so congrats. Enjoy the technology, and keep a big smile on your face driving by gas stations.

20. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In a word, YES. However, your handling will improve. It's a compromise that some are willing to make and some are not.

-Brad