1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Gen 2 Prius/Advice/Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ElectricCarFan, Dec 10, 2015.

1. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello everyone. In May of 2017 I'll be coming off of my 14' Nissan Leaf lease. I've only got 1 year & 4 months. I really love my Leaf and it will pain me to return it. I just really want to be able to travel again and use the highway over distances. I can't be restricted anymore.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to purchase a 2nd Gen Prius. Of course I'd like a Gen 3 but they are more expensive, so I'll get a Gen 2 and like it. However, my second option would be a Honda Civic Hybrid. My budget is $6,000. I use Autotrader to search around (100 Mile radius). Now, I've seen many Gen 2 Prius for sale in this region for $6,000 or less but they all seem to have over 100K miles on them. Prius seem to command a high price even at over 100K Miles! That seems high to me, but I also realize its an advanced Hybrid vehicle and they have been known to last.

I did search just to see what the Civic Hybrids go for under $6,000, and they are going for a slightly lower price and lower mileage. The Civic Hybrids for sale in my region are selling with 70-90K Miles on them for around $5K-6K. I really don't care too much for the Civic Hybrid though, and I'm a Toyota fan. I appreciate and love the Prius, but I would nonetheless settle for a Civic Hybrid. I just DO NOT want to go back to a pure ICE car. No way! My long-term goal is to get into something like a Volt, so I can drive EV most of the time. I absolutely love that aspect of my current Leaf.

I realize I have a ways to go until my Nissan Leaf lease is through, but I really want to get a feel for the market for the Prius. I don't want to be surprised when my lease is up and I'm out looking at cars.

I've been training, and on Autotrader I'll look at the offerings and ask myself "Which one looks like the best deal. If I had to choose, which would be best", I sorta train myself.

Is it smart to buy a Gen 2 Prius with over 100K Miles on it? What is there to look out for when buying? Should I take the Prius (before purchase) to a Toyota dealer for an inspection? Should I bring a scantool with me to pull any codes? What should I ask the seller?

For example: Is this a good deal? It doesn't provide a Carfax, only an AutoCheck report that you've got to pay for. I've seen this online for a little while now and It looks like a deal to me. I always think, "lowest mileage for lowest Price" but I don't know. I don't have any experience in buying a Hybrid, let alone a Prius.

Any help and or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2005 Toyota Prius 2nd Gen- 113,279 Miles
    Cars for Sale: 2005 Toyota Prius in Akron, OH 44314: Hatchback Details - 412224386 - Autotrader

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It could be smart if you can be self-reliant with regards to vehicle maintenance or have a hybrid vehicle independent servicer nearby. This allows you to use used parts where appropriate - for example, if an ECU needs to be replaced or if the traction battery fails. Owning an older Prius could be very expensive if you have to rely upon dealer service installing new parts and you are unlucky with your used vehicle choice.

You have to assume that some portion of the available used Prius out there are for sale because the seller is aware that some problem exists that you don't know about. Because the Prius is highly complex electronically, some of these issues may be intermittent, and not obvious during a casual test drive around the block.

Yes, you clearly need to have the used Prius inspected by the best hybrid technician you can find. Typically that may be at a dealership unless you have a good independent around.

If you want to use a scan tool, get Mini VCI which is for all Toyota vehicles and replicates the Toyota Techstream diagnostics used by dealer techs.

Ask about the vehicle prior service history, find out the car's accident history, see if there were any problems like flooding, salvage title, etc.

There are many posts on PC which address the question you asked about how to evaluate a used Prius and I encourage you to search for those and read through them. Some assume that you will be doing the technical evaluation yourself.

A Nissan Leaf is fine as a second or third vehicle but certainly is inappropriate if that is your only car unless your idea of vehicle usage is to drive 50 miles one-way, maximum.

ElectricCarFan likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can find an '08 or 9 with under 100k, you should be fairly good to go for awhile.
    all the best!(y)

4. LewisM

LewisM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We purchased a 2006 Prius 3-1/2 years ago with 120,000 miles. It has been the best car I've ever owned; best in terms of reliability and true cost per mile. Had to replace the hybrid battery at 185,000, but that was not unexpected. Now at 194,000. My only reservation about this car is that its 76 hp is not quite enough for driving at high speed (75+) and high elevation (7000+) through the US Southwest.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've never been a fan of the Civic Hybrid. It uses a more series-hybrid system that doesn't deliver the performance or efficiency of the more parallel-hybrid system used by the Prius. The Civic Hybrid has also had significantly higher failure rates of traction batteries than the Prius. I would also have a hard time getting by with a sedan. The Prius liftback with the folding back seats and trunk floor even with the trunk opening is very versatile with cargo.

I love the 2nd-gen...I can't see myself in a 3rd or 4th-gen. The only newer one that I could possibly go for is the C, which you could also look for, although they might still be too new for decent used pricing.

That's interesting that you're thinking of going from a Leaf to a 2nd-gen. My friend's parents have a Leaf and although it is nice n' fancy, his Dad admits that it's only "half" a car and sometimes looks favorably at the Gen 2 Pri when I bring it over.

Mendel Leisk and ElectricCarFan like this.
  6. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah, I don't really care for the Civic Hybrid either (or any other Mild Hybrid for that matter). I agree that they underperform and don't have all the benefits of a hybrid like the Prius.

I'm just going to get a Prius. After thinking about it for a while, I think I'd rather get a Prius (along with any unforseen risks) then buy a vehicle that I wouldn't be happy with. The Prius is far superior anyhow.

7. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the looking in the world will not take the place of actually being there and seeing the car and its condition and kinda getting a feel of what the owner was like previously. You can check the steering wheel for wear to see if the driver was nervous, check upholstery for wear and tear, check the body for door dings, check all the operations and controls, sticky cruise switch, is it blowing out of all vents, how quiet is it and of course that test drive..how does it feel? Lots of variables to consider while there not on the keyboard staring at the screen. Pics on the screen are just a small part of the story. Sometimes those pic are there to deceive as well to not show whats not right. The one good thing is that gas is cheap so compact car sales are not that good relative to SUVs and especially crossovers which are popular- for now..
    We bought two Prius last month. a 04 with 135K and 09 with 215K. I put my snapon Solus Ultra scanner on them and no codes..I was surprised as cars with that mileage almost ALWAYS have some codes...NUN! lol! But as for you, you have plenty of time so you might visit those sales to check the car out not necessarily to buy. Good luck and a Happy Holiday as well.

ADDITIONAL BS more to add....

Upon discovering the issues with my two used Prius I bought. Remember these details as I had to buy on eBAY to fix these 'AS IS' wonders.

Luckily both cars are smart keys and had each 2 fobs upon sale. If your getting one FOB only better budget for a 2nd
    The sales guy could not understand on the 04 that if the car was locked via the button near the outside door handle the car would not unlock unless the unlock on the fob was used. Well it was because one car had the smart key switch OFF. Thats under the steering column push button. When its ON it senses your FOB signal and unlocks the car the moment you pull the outside door handle. Not only that the FOB does not need to be inserted into the dash. The car sees the correct signal and you just hit the START button.
    Now if the car does not have the smartkey option then it willnot have a switch under the column. Dload the prius owners manual to aquaint yourself to the options and controls they come with . As I said there were some things missing like the rear cargo cover. Luckily the dealer had another laying around so he gave me one. Otherwise its at least $80 om eBAY. If your comes with the HID lights its likely the linkage on the back axle suspension link arm is broken because of linkage frozen up. My 04 was but the 09 still survived...for now. I ordered some Porsche carb linkage from Germany to fix that. You can't buy the arm assembly by itself. You could conjur up some heim joints but the carb setup is cheaper.. Check to see if you get original floor mats.. If original clips to hold them down can be bought cheap on eBAY. Well thats all i gots.....for now..

#7 Dion Kraft, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  8. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This question can't possibly have a universal answer, but in general, the answer is YES. It depends on how you define "smart," but I think almost regardless of your definition, a used Prius is a smart buy. I have purchased two Prii, both with over 100k miles, and they have been fantastic vehicles thus far. Great efficiency, low cost of driving, good ride, decent tech, and I got both of them for ~$7k, so I didn't have to carry the depreciation like the previous owners.
    A million things. Many people have already hit on some of them, but here are some of the steps I take before I purchase any car.
    1. Check the maintenance history. For Toyota owners, there is an easy tool that tracks the maintenance done by any Toyota dealership. You can login to the Toyota Owners website, claim the vehicle by adding its VIN, and investigate the entire service history of the vehicle (as long as the service was performed by a Toyota dealer).
    2. Check the MIL. Make sure the fuse for the MIL is still there. Make sure the MIL is not tampered with in any way, and run the codes with a scan tool to make sure nothing comes up.
    3. Check for rust, even if you live in a dry climate. The car might not have always lived in the same climate as you.
    4. Check for any accident history. Slightly mismatched paint can be an indicator. Check the frame for any major damage.
    5. I could go on and on, but those are the biggies for me.
    It doesn't have to be Toyota, but I would take it to someone independent of the seller and get their buyoff on the vehicle.
    Scantool, yes. What should you ask the seller? Assuming you can't find this information through the Toyota owner's website, I would ask when the last time all regular maintenance items were replaced. For example, pumps, brakes, fluids, belts, spark plugs, low voltage battery, etc. Also, if any non-regular maintenance was performed that may be necessary with high miles, such as suspension work. In my experience, sellers are happy to tell you everything they have done to the car, but they're often just forgetful until you bring up specific items. If you can knock off a lot of those items because the seller has taken care of it recently, your deal will just look that much better.

Another tip, if you don't have the time to scour through countless private party ads, go to a reputable second-hand dealer, preferably one that specializes in hybrid sales. In my experience, private party is where the best deals are, but 9/10 cars I look at private party aren't as good as advertised, and the ratio of people just looking to offload a car they know is crap is *astronomically* higher than you'll find at a second-hand dealer. I typically pay 20% more by going through the dealer I go through, but it's worth it to me to have a pick of 30 Prii at one location with an implied warranty and the surety that they didn't buy a broke-down car to sell than it is to surf craigslist for a month only to have sellers no-show me, attempt to scam me, and show me cars that are obviously six feet under already.

9. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow, thank you for the great information. I've never purchased a hybrid vehicle before. I've been a fan for years but the rest of my family is very skeptical (apart from a few). I just don't want to buy a Prius and have them say "If you'd have bought a regular car...". But, I've had friends and people I've know buy a used Prius and not have a single issue. So I think I'll try my best to investigate a Prius well before purchasing.

I'm not a mechanic/technician but I do no how to perform maintence items and I've been studying the Prius/Hybrids/EVs since 2008. I've just never actually went about purchasing a Prius/Hybrid. I've owned 3 cars; 94' Dodge Shadow, 95' Oldsmobile 88, and now 14' Nissan Leaf. My Dodge Shadow & Olds 88 were bought from friedns of the family. I new everything about them and my dad even worked on them too.

I never had to investigate or really plan anything when leasing my Leaf since it was brand new from the factory (it had 43 Miles on it). I'm only leasing it anyhow.

This is all new to me. I appreciate all the help I can get. I will look into other threads discussing this as well :).

Wow! That's nice that you've not had any problems from it. I've always known that the Prius is a reliable car, just that things do brake down over time and age. But, sounds like you got a nice Prius. I hope I'm as lucky as you when I go to investigate and purchase a used Prius of my own.

Unfortunately, I my budget dictates no more than $6,000 and that seems to mean Prius with mileages of 100-200K. I've got some time before my lease it up (May 2017), so I've got time to save and look at Prius.

:unsure: That's a lot to take in! Thank you for the information, I do appreciate it. I've never purchased a used Hybrid (let alone Prius) before, I'm new to vehicles this sophisticated. I'm not a mechanic/technician,but I do know some things (such as maintenance items). I've looked into Hybrids/EVs since 2008 online, but never personally owned a Hybrid or worked on them. I leased my Leaf brand new and didn't have anything like this to think about since it was new.

But, I have indeed decided I will buy a used Prius. I think if I investigate/research a used Prius well enough I could find a nice one. Since my budget limits me I use Autotrader to find Prius within my budget. Here in Toledo Ohio we have a very limited selection, let alone any below $6,000. Prius for sale here are pretty much only new and in expensive dealerships. We aren't really a big market for hybrids/EVs so I have to search in a 100Mile radius to find any.

But, I do see many decent looking Prius far away from Toledo. I've got time to look since my current Leaf Lease isn't up until May 2017.

Thank you for the help.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, any toyota at any age is a good car, buying a gen2 with around 100,000 is doable, just plan on a continuing pre-maintenance plan, the hybrid battery is going, plan on 3,000$ for a new from toyota battery installed, now, yer good for another 100,000 or 150,000 if you put on lots of miles, it's not a mileage thing with the traction battery, it's an age thing, don't rebuild with used parts, replace with new parts.
    Shocks, springs, front wheel bearings, steering wrack, are also on the replace list, space them out.

11. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well that makes me feel a little better. I have no problem replacing the Hybrid traction battery. That's to be expected like you said. I will just have to keep up on the maintenance aspect of it. I don't have a problem with that. But, hopefully the Hybrid traction battery doesn't fail right away after I get the car. I understand there is no way of telling, but it would suck if it failed right away. I hope it waits til its closer to 200K miles before conking out.

12. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, the most important thing to remember when purchasing a used vehicle is that the sticker price shouldn't empty your bank account. You need ample savings for repairs and maintenance in place as soon as you purchase the vehicle.

13. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, see that's where I'm going to have a little trouble. I'll only have so much money to spend on the whole thing ($6,000 or so). I think I could always try to talk the seller down to trim money off the price. Any money I trim off I could plan on using for maintenance & repairs. $6000 is approximate. I could go over that (possibly to $7,000) but I'm trying to retain money for other things.

Worst case scenario I could always get repairs done and charge it to make installments on it. I'll just have to do what it takes I suppose.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although it is too late now, I am wondering how it came to be that you thought you could afford to lease a new car - but now have decided you can only afford $6K on the purchase of a heavily used car once the lease has expired. In retrospect it would seem a better use of funds to have purchased a newer used car instead of entering that lease.

15. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, in retrospect it would have. I found that out a while into the lease. I actually can afford it, that's not an issue. Its combination of things.

Well, you see, I live with my family and pay next to nothing to live where I live (practically free). That freed up money to use towards leasing a new car. Originally my plan was to lease a Nissan Leaf and then buy it at the end of the lease. That way if I didn't like it, battery tech improved, or etc I wouldn't be stuck with it. Another big time reason for me leasing is that at the time (May 2014) Nissan offered really crazy deals on their new Leafs. I got to lease this car for $285/month @ 0% APR for 36 months (plus 497 extra miles for taking the floor model). I traded in my 1995 Oldsmobile 88 for a $1000 down payment (to reduce my lease payment) as well. My Oldsmobile was getting old and was coming up on more repairs. I actually haven't missed a payment, nor had any trouble at that. I've been sailing right through my lease without any issues. On paper I can afford it since I live with family. The thing is, if I ever want to move out of living with family I must get rid of the payments. That's why I can't keep it after the lease (it'll still have $12,000 to pay off to own). I want to move out and live within my OWN means, independently.

The reason I want to hand my Leaf in at lease's end (and not buy it as originally planned) is because I want move out of my family's house and move to Florida. When my lease is up I've like to hand my Leaf in, find a used Prius, and then drive it down to Florida. I love my Leaf but it could never make it to Florida with all my stuff loaded up, and at highway speeds (I-75). In a couple years its battery will whittle down and I wouldn't want to be stuck with a reduced range. When I decided to get the Leaf I had never planned on living elsewhere (I had planned to stay in Toledo, OH forever) but since then my life has changed somewhat. I also want to be able to take road-trips again in the future, or travel across Florida freely for whatever reason. I don't want to limit myself on where I can go and do. The Leaf is nice but I've come to see its shortcomings. I need to be able to have that freedom of travel back. Because of the very limited amount of EV charging stations around my town (Toledo, Ohio) I can't even really leave town. In Summer I may be able to get 60-65 highway miles, but in Winter I couldn't make it since I'm limited to a mere 50 miles City range (35-40 highway) due to cold temps sapping the battery.

The reason for the limited budget of $6,000 is because I have to save up money for when I want to move to Florida. I am saving money along the way to the end of my lease ($100/week). By then I plan on saving a decent amount of money and I can't spend it all on a used Prius. Of my total savings (in May 2017) I have to retain some for living in Florida and allocate some for a used vehicle. My plan is to save up $12,000, then $6,000 will go towards a used Prius. That'll leave $6,000 remaining to live off of when I get to Florida. I can adjust those values up or down as needed. I could spend a little more on a used Prius (like $7,000), but then I'd have less for Florida. I think it would be unwise to go any higher than $6,000 since I need as much money as possible for Florida. Also, I've seen what seem to be decent used Prius on Autotrader. I figure I would then make necessary repairs to my used Prius as needed (as you guys have mentioned here). I don't need a brand new car really. I now just want a nice Prius that runs well and I can afford myself.

Looking back I very much wish I would've got a small bank loan, got a nice low-mileage used Prius (such as one for $12,000), and by now I would've had it almost all payed off. But, I didn't know I would ever want to move way back in May 2014. Whats done is done and I'm just trying get back to square one here. One things for sure, I'll most likely never lease again.

#15 ElectricCarFan, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the florida part.:) all the best!(y)

17. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So do I, lol. Thank you.

18. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wouldn't worry about past decisions, and it wasn't a terrible one, as far as decisions go. It sounds like you have things well thought-out.

Just to offer another perspective, although I find the Gen 2 to be the bees knees, I admit that if I were buying a car for $6000 today, I think I would go for a highly-rated non-hybrid so that I could go with something newer and with fewer miles. I also love a manual transmission (and understand why the Pri can't have one). I've thought about what I would do if the Pri was no more (accident, etc), and I think I would take the direction of a small, reliable wagon with a manual transmission, like the Scion xA, xB xD, Matrix/Vibe, Yaris hatch or similar for $5-6k.

Best wishes!

19. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had thought of that as a possible alternative, however I just do not under any circumstances want to downgrade back to another pure ICE vehicle. After coming this far with getting my Leaf, I just don't want to have to return to that reality. Hybrid & EVs are so much better than ICEs. The Prius has many of the same things as my Leaf. The Prius has Push button start, Keyless entry, Smart Key, Computer screen, an Electric Motor, can operate somewhat on electric power, and gets massively better MPGs than anything else on the road.

This is almost the same as my Leaf, only it has limited EV power and a gas engine too.

I would almost rather deal with maintenance/repair costs of a high mileage Prius than go back to a pure ICE. I think if I can find a good 2nd gen Prius and then even if the battery goes, I can replace it and keep on rolling for another 100K-150K miles possibly. If I maintain it well, I think I could have it a long while (as others have suggested).

I think it's important to buy what you like. It would bite to buy something I had to drive everyday and hate it.

20. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Just sold my 08 Civic hybrid they are not really reliable over 100k and your problem begin