1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying hybrid battery from junkyard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by themadbluebird, Apr 25, 2017.

1. themadbluebird

themadbluebird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all, I am new to the forum but have enjoyed lurking here for some time. I have a 2007 Prius with 165,000 miles that has been extremely reliable and never needed any repairs. Unfortunately, the hybrid battery is now going out; red triangle is on, throwing battery codes, and battery level is fluctuating rapidly and not holding charge. MPG has dropped from 49 to 40 since the triangle came on last week.

Given my car's strong history, it seems a good bet that the car has a good 5+ years of life left, so I am most inclined to buy a new OEM battery for around $2,400 and install it myself. However, there is a junkyard near me that has a battery from a wrecked Prius for sale for $600. It was pulled from a 2008 Prius with only 49,000 miles, and has been sitting there for 3-4 months. The junkyard says the battery holds charge fine and gives a 90-day warranty on it. I have plenty of spare time at the moment so I'm not too worried about wasting time with installing or potentially having to take it back.

It seems to me that if I could get more than 2 years out of that junkyard battery, it would be a good buy. On the other hand, I would love the peace of mind of having a brand new one in there.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has been through replacement. Which route would you go?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i guess the hard part is knowing whether they are telling the truth or not.

3. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome! I would try contacting Toyota first to see if they can offer any kind of assistance towards a new OEM battery. But first you would need to have a Toyota dealership pull the codes and verify that the hybrid battery needs to be replaced. If you mainly take your Prius to the dealership for service, you can let them know that. Also let them know if you own other Toyota vehicles as well. They like to hear this kind of stuff. Some members in here have been offered assistance towards a replacement battery. Good luck!
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The battery is not a rotating mechanical device where miles matter. Temperature and cycles will affect a battery more than vehicle miles. Simple aging will, too. Ten years is a pretty good life for any chemical battery.

Replacement is a gamble. I've done it and it worked out fine, but mine was only five years old. I don't think I'd take much of a chance on a nine-year old battery.

5. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi , I'm new here . Been a lurker for some time but decided to join in the discussions as I'm going to need advice on how to proceed with an issue that is much the same as the OP's topic.
    Can I join in here or should I start a new conversation?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go ahead and join

SM-N900P ?

7. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I would think that a visual inspection would be the first step. As you may not know the extent of damage from the donor car. And superficial damage should put a flag up I think. Also you can test the battery b4 install I would think. I would get something in writing from the salvage yard covering conditions and return for full refund. Do they want your batt for a core? If so what value do they put on core ?
    In my experience with salvage yards, be sure to CYA.

8. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you , I've seen your input b4 and respect your views and others too of course.
    Regarding this issue on my car.
    A bit of background first I guess. 07 , not sure what touring pkg, but purchased used last year with 170k if I recall correctly. Now has 186k. Engine runs fine. No oil burn. Regular synthetic changes. Just recharged a/c.
    Tires last fall. Key fob batts, light bulbs , filters ,nothing major.
    Several weeks ago had a red triangle appear with others like a Christmas tree. But they disappeared, haven't seen since. Today I noticed the systems screen , the batt shows fluctuations in the " bars". But no other warning lights except the tire inflate and due for oil change light.(filter should arrive tomorrow).
    Oreillys put code check on, said you need traction batt ! Well I'm not I true believer of that. I need more proof.
    A Toyota dealer is an hours drive away in Tuscaloosa.I'm not really keen on the chev dealer here in town, as horror stories abound.
    So first, can you guys recommend a scanner that I can use on the Prius that will also work on my c4500 chev ? I hate to have to buy extra software to make that work. But I'm not so savvy on the reputable brands.
    Secondly, where do I start on the Prius troubleshooting? Take care of tire pressure and oil change I assume to eliminate those lights. Check 12v batt and clean fan and filters? Then what? I guess I'm up for the task of rebuilding my own big battery but just need a little direction , a nudge, and some opinions.
    I'm trying to locate a previous search I had done for a scanner but I haven't yet found the link for the one that caught my attention.
    So fire away guys and gals,thanks

9. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Btw - what's sm-n900p .?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's very possible your 10 years old battery has a failed module. The prius cars are designed to go about the mileage you're at now and then trouble starts to brew. I'd say prepare to replace that battery or learn to do it yourself.

A good tool to have when working with the prius is the mini vci cable. Sold on Amazon and elsewhere. It's the best tool for the prius. Runs off a laptop computer and costs around $25.

SM-N900P ?

FastZX6R and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I were buying a junkyard battery I would also build/purchase a high voltage battery charger/discharger for battery maintenance.

Also a hardware + software combination so I could watch the battery data live. (minivci cable with Techstream software. Or Bluetooth OBDII hardware with Torque app.) Bonus: the same equipment can also be used for reading and clearing codes.

A 2008 with 49,000 miles does not guarantee that the pack is any good.
    Especially if it sat unused for long stretches of time.

If you are considering buying a new pack from a dealer you may want to double check that they are willing to sell a pack to you. Some dealers won't. Also remember, the pack from a dealer is not fully assembled. It is not plug and play like a junkyard or rebuilt pack is. It involves a bit more dismantling of the original pack and addition of new pieces as well. Be sure to get instructions from the dealer of how they want the core prepared as well. Usually there must be non conductive mats in place, all cables wrapped/protected, and VIN number noted on the core.

And no matter which you choose, please take care to correctly torque all connections. Especially the ones carrying voltage! I've seen too many problems from undertorqued or overtorqued fasteners. Buy or rent a torque wrench and use it.

richiemoe2 and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric , hello
    I was born in Green Bay. How things in Madtowm ?
    Have you ever encountered corroded module links to affect the true battery scan. In other words was a batt ever saved due to just cleaning up links ? In a prius application ?

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anything is possible. But if the links are corroded then the voltage sense wires will likely be bad as well. Small cracks or breaks. In which case, just buy a new wireframe.

Also corrosion can be hidden inside the main lead wires as well.

14. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mention the Vci cable. Is that mini USB ? I have iPad and iPhone. If vci has iPad cord, then what else do I need to purchase in software?
    Have you or anyone ever used the lemur Bluedriver ? Any input on that would be nice.

15. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would get a refurbished battery and put it in myself, which I actually did myself 4 1/2 years ago without a problem. I have seen them online for about $1195 with a 18 month unlimited warranty. It took me 4 hours to complete the job myself. You basically got to gut the whole backend out to get to the complete battery. There are YouTube videos to show how to replace the battery. Hope you have good luck in finding what will work for you.

#1 in Easley,SC

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Minivci is a diagnostic cable that has electronics in it.
    Different than a standard connection cable.

I have not used the lemur device. But it is not really what you need at that price.

Search for Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII on Amazon. You will find plenty or simple options that cost $20 or less.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like previously mentioned spend another $350 and buy a hybrid battery charger and charge the junkyard battery up before you install. You will quickly see if it's healthy and will take a charge.
    Much cheaper to outboard test and charge then using your whats been very good to you car to charge a bad hybrid and stress the inverter.
    Buy the junkyard. Buy a hybridautomotive.com.charger and it's charging cable take the battery cover off install charging cable take main cover off inspect bussbars for any corrosion.
    If the junkyard has even minor issue you will have to pull it back out a lot of work and waste of time and back muscle.

I have the charger works great.

18. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen threads and have read here that there are so many troubles with vci's with uploading getting connected , viruses, bad discs.
    So bluetooth plug and play seems like a no headache. Why so many people insist on Amazon vci plugs is puzzling with all the questionable reviews.
    With all the innovative and techy people out there why has no one tried the Bluedriver on their Prius ?
    Plug it in let it there and use so call smart phone? Am I missing something?

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Minivci + techstream is much more versatile tool. Much more functional.

For a Bluetooth OBDII reader you can get them for under $20. No need to pay more. Then use with free version if Torque app. This allows you to see quite a bit if data and read/reset most error codes.

Soniaprius likes this.
  20. Soniaprius

Soniaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Eric.
    So does this app also make suggestions as to remedies, live running data, allow data cataloging?
    Can I assume the reader and torque wii work on other vehicles ?
    Sorry this obd thing is new to me , my kids think I'm dangerous on the puter.