1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying My First Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MrLorence, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Found the forum via Google, and have always joined a forum specific to the vehicles that I own.

This Saturday I am set to pick up a 2010 Prius III from a local dealer:
    Used 2010 Toyota Prius III For Sale | Endicott NY .

I know the sales rep from high school and he is going to get the price down closer to the 20k mark. I drove and inspected the car today and it is REALLY clean on the inside with only two blemishes on the outside (they are going to fix those at their body shop prior to pickup on Saturday). It also has brand new tires and is certified.

Just wondering with the miles and condition is this a fair price? I feel that it is after looking around on cars.com in the 100 mile radius.

Thanks

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price seems a tad high, I think there would be some wiggle room. At least you have some B-B warranty left. As always Crafax it to find out what it has been up to.
    Welcome aboard!

3. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Free carfax on the car site:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on JTDKN3DU9A0173574

4. jppicks

jppicks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would consider buying a brand new 2012 II for $2,200 more. It will have 5 miles and a full warranty and you will be the first one to own it.

5. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really want a III or IV for the bells and whistles...

III's I have been seeing 25-28k

IV's are low 30's

Just looking for a decent car to replace my work car since I travel daily over 100 miles..

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your coming in the door prequalified or with cash in hand, lowball them. They want you to drive it home so they will go back & forth until you find some common price and pull the trigger. If they wont move down on the price, walk.

Welcome to the Prius addiction by the way [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]

7. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the advice...that's what I plan to do is try and get them to 19500 of I can...either way with the miles and in my area its one of the best deals with lower mileage..

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Offer them $18k. They are not going to throw your nice person out the door for lowballing them. They are going to try real hard to get you in that drivers seat and take that baby home [​IMG] Also Prius is very very reliable so don't feel obligated to buy their special extended warranty unless you want to, or have some hot bills burnin a hole in your pocket. Be a hard nice person and don't pay a dime too much. That'll leave you some change left over to take the family out for supper after the deal is done :)

Mike

9. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are better deals out there. Are you trading anything in or are you purchasing from them? Are you going to take advantage of the 1.9% finance rate for 60 months from Toyota for CPO?

10. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, they are buying out the remainder of my lease on another vehicle and I am getting the 1.9%...and there are ALWAYS better deals out there, even when you think you have found one..

I am not trying to be a jerk, just putting that out there...

11. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll have to agree with everyone and say that's pretty pricey for a 2010 with 33k miles on it. WE0H has the right idea, lowball them and be stubborn about it.

Good luck and welcome to the Prius family!

WE0H likes this.
  12. goddess prii

goddess prii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. You will love your new Prius!:) Just drive by the gas station and wave!!!!!!:D

13. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I just picked up a 2010 V with 32k miles for less than the asking price of that one...just saying. I'd try to get the price down or be patient and find something priced a little better.

14. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was it certified? Either way great find..

I have been looking for the past month, and I understand that across the country prices are different. If you search on cars.com using my zip 13903 and within a reasonable distance (100mi) the prices here are not that low with respect to miles on the car.

The guy selling me the car isnt selling it to me for the asking price, and is working to get it closer to 19k..

I also NEED a III not a II or base. I am in my car at least 4-5 hours daily driving, so having the upgraded HU w/ Nav is nice.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find out exactly what new tires they put on it. Most of the time they put a cheap non-LRR tire on and those will drop mpg by 4+. Use that as a negotiating tool. You do not want the frustrations of a cheap tire, especially a non-LRR!

WE0H likes this.
  16. MrLorence

MrLorence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They are a nice set of Cooper Tourings..

I decided to look again and found another Prius that caught my eye. It is about 2hrs away, but its a IV:

Used 2010 Toyota Prius IV (White Car) | Serving nearby Middletown, Newburgh & New Hampton New York | Johnstons Toyota

Plus I like the white on black combo (that's what our Tundra is)

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second that thought. I have over 20k miles in rental Prii (Prii is plural for Prius) since mid 2009. I have experienced rental Prii with both factory tires and replacement non-low rolling resistance tires. The non-LRR tires are an absolute drag on the car and kill the mpg's. No question. You do NOT want cheep non-LRR tires on that car, or if it does have them, drop a grand off the price for you having to screw around with getting the correct tires put on that car.

Mike :)

F8L likes this.
  18. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm in the same boat, I was in the car for 7.5 hours on Tuesday, I needed all the options I could get.

I looked for a while until I finally found what I wanted. I didn't get my first color choice, but the price I got, I was okay with it. Yes, it is certified, one owner.

Good luck in your search! It's a great car, you will love the gas mileage. I was afraid I wouldn't get as good of fuel economy driving 90% hwy but its great. First tank was 48.7, I'm on my second tank now and the computer shows 54.5, which is probably about 52-52.5 in real numbers. And I find myself being very comfortable on long drives, even being 6'4". The JBL/Bluetooth/wireless streaming work great! I'm at about 700 miles since Tuesday morning, it's been a great week to test it out (just picked it up Saturday morning).

WE0H likes this.
  19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there are quite a few on here that have a soft spot for a Blizzard Pearl Prius so we will be kinda biased on that last car you showed us. Again check those tires. If it is what you like, go for it. Always work them on that price. Lowball them, as I said before. They will be doing whatever it takes to get you to sign and drive that baby home :) Start low, they'll come back with another price. Bump your offer up a bit if you like. They'll either say OK or offer something higher. Keep at it until both of you are happy enough with a deal. If they are dead set on their pricing, you can walk out that door and don't look back or tell them they need to throw in some accessories or something that you have in mind.

Mike

Vas25tl likes this.
  20. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I
    I really wanted a white one but the only one I found that was similar was $3k more :(. My last 3 cars were white. 2005 Acuta TL 6MT, 2004 Lexus GS430 and our Scion is white. I wouldn't move on the V, really wanted the HID's, fog lights, 17's, etc.