1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying Prius for wife, confused on what to get

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by rjacobs, Mar 23, 2021.

1. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Until I fell in love with the Prime, I was considering a Four Touring myself! 46K for a well-maintained Prius really isn't much... make sure to get the CarFax, though, and maybe a pre-purchase inspection (mine had 60K when I purchased and the PPI reassured me). I understand that Texas is the area to be concerned about hidden flood damage. I do wish that my trim level had BSM....

I believe the Four Touring will come with driver's power seat and heated seats? Those are nice features I enjoy in my Prime. The drive of the Gen 4s is also much improved. It's not a luxury car but I find it plenty comfortable.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There are almost NO "deals" on any kind of vehicles right now.....not anything decent anyway......because the major manufacturers of computer parts (chips) used in almost all cars these days have been shut down due to COVID and you can't make cars without the "brain" to run it.
    SO.....new cars are getting scarce and the price on good used is going UP, not down.

Anyone who thinks they really need a new (or used) car NOW had better not hesitate much.
    I heard an "industry analyst" yesterday who predicted that the supply of cars might not get back anywhere near to normal until the end of 2021. And prices might stay up longer than that.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hybrids don't perform optimally in both the short and long term when the vehicle is used primarily for short trip driving. Short term: poor mpg due to ICE warmup cycle. Long term: the HV battery works harder.

The best overall hybrid (HEV) experiences come from those who drive their cars frequently and longer distances.

I suggest you look into used PHEV's. Many bargains out there as so many were leased and those have been hitting the market in larger numbers over the past few years. Use the plug-in EV mode for those around town errands (perfect for that) and the ICE for the longer trips around DFW.

Also, you have a great resource in your backyard with Matt @ Texas Prius Battery Replacement over in Weatherford.

GOOD LUCK!

4. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    There isnt much of anything on the market right now so I cant be toooooo choosy.

I spoke to Matt last week or the week before about doing a pre-buy on whatever I choose and he said he would feel bad about taking my money.

5. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So here was what today garnered...

Car 1: 2017 Four light silver/moonstone with 46k miles on it. Was in pretty good condition with the usual front bumper rock chips and a couple little dings here and there. Interior was pretty clean, but could use more cleaning. Nothing earth shattering here.

Car 2: the avis rental 2019 LE... huge steaming pile of garbage... car was a mess, hadnt been cleaned well, wasnt at the proper location(was about 5 minutes up the road so not a huge deal), big dent on passenger front door, 2 rock chips in the windshield, numerous other dings in the car, smelled like it had been smoked in...a lot... We almost didnt even take the car, but then we decided it would be a good chance to drive one for more than 3 blocks so we drove it almost 100 miles...and got a pretty good 56mpg and I was not being easy on the car. Obvious hard pass.

Car 3: 2017 Four touring, dark grey/moonstone with 32k miles on it. very good condition, had brand new tires on it(sales guy didnt know why they put tires on it when I told him they usually go 70-80k miles on tires), interior was really clean(cleaner than car 1). Had a few dings on it, but overall the exterior was clean.

Car 4: 2019 XLE red/tan with ~5k miles. Car was ROUGH for 5k miles. We didnt even drive it. In the pictures it had a little damage on the nose of the car. When we walked up I could see it had been "repaired"...but in no way correctly. The paint was not nearly correct except it was red, but it wasnt metallic and it had ACRES of orange peel....super obvious garbage fix. The sales gal goes "well we got paint guys that can fix that" "sorry, but they already tried and OBVIOUSLY failed, not to mention the other myriads of scratches and dings". The 46k miles car looked better... The Avis rental car almost looked better(not really, but this car was that bad).

So no concrete decisions. My wife liked the light silver better than the dark silver, but we both agreed the dark silver car was in better condition and if we had to pick between car 1 and car 3 it would be 3. Going to look at a 2017 Four light silver/moonstone with 16k miles on it at Carmax tomorrow. I forgot they only advertise on their own website. Car looks clean in their pictures.

Tideland Prius and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just in case you haven't looked at "new", Toyota is giving away major discounts and rebates when I recently bought my '21 XLE. I got $7k below MSRP.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you REALLY stuck on a hybrid......and specifically a Prius ?
    If so, why ??
    Have you considered a C ?

8. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    There is nothing available in Texas and the few that are at dealers, they dont want to deal...

Are you a troll that actually hates prius's because not a single one of your posts in this thread have been useful... They are all negative. Good thing I am adept at ignoring trolls...

kc5dlo likes this.
  9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unhappy Prius owners do not help the car's reputation. Making it clear what the Prius's weaknesses and strengths are and how that meshes with your goals before you buy is a valuable service. As such I questioned you as to how short 'only short trips' really was. This is not a dig at the Prius, but warning a potential owner about the weaknesses of the car. You clarified how short 'short' was and I have no fear of that. I also worry that you are buying a focused frugal car for a driver who does not value frugality, and you have not settled that worry. We are not anti Prius, but we hate it when we get unhappy Prius users.

I drove on a 55 MPH road about 125 miles a day (82 to 198 frequently) 240 days a year 30,000 miles annually, all at sensible speeds while carrying a great deal of computer and network gear. As such, I am a happy Prius v owner. My needs match my car

PaulDM likes this.
  10. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I did not aim my last post at you. I appreciated your earlier post and advice. Posts like sam spades simply don't add anything to the conversation...

So far I have been happy with the prius's that we drove and so has my wife. Just the 4 that we drove yesterday were not up to our standards and we didn't walk away from any of them going "that's the car we want to buy". That's not a dig on "prius" just those particular cars.

This thread helped me pick a trim level to focus on which was my goal. I've read a ton of other technical stuff on the cars also.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I cring at the new owner who just bought a 150k mile gen3 for $10k on payments and wonders what that cold start rattle means? After spending money and time on egr coolers, plugs, coils and injectors with results lasting two weeks, they find out about the gens fatal flaws.

12. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Bought the 2017 at carmax. 15,400 miles. Extremely clean. I'll post pictures tomorrow. They will deliver it tonight.

13. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    congratulations

rjacobs likes this.
  14. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Congrats!

This thread reminded me of when we were looking for my wife's Prius last year just before everything shut down.

My wife wanted "a Prius" (she has already had a couple of them) and although I wasn't crazy about the idea at first, I drove her grandma's Prius and was absolutely amazed at the MPGs considering I was not trying to do anything to help the MPGs, and it wasn't that slow or uncomfortable to me. I think it was a 2017 Prius 4 and it had enough toys to make me happy with it, as I wanted something that would make both of us happy.

Because of our specific situation, I was the one looking for the car, and after reading about the 3rd gen issues, decided to just look at 4th gens. I ordered my Jeep, and so its equipped the way that I want it. So my search for her Prius began. I went over things that she wanted, (good MPGs, bluetooth, safe, etc) and that I wanted (ACC, heated seats, power driver seat, BSM, etc) so I ended up ignoring the vast majority of listings. For kicks, I started to look at other vehicles as well, as I wasn't entirely comfortable with owning a hybrid long term, so we looked at a Corolla hatchback too, but the Prius won out, since it's bigger inside, and the price difference wasn't worth the Corolla "savings" to me. I went and looked at a few different Prius' here but a lot of them were pretty rough or missing features that we wanted.

Eventually, I found one that I thought would work, and it is identical to the Prius that her grandma has. The mileage was a little higher than I wanted, and it was white instead of my preferred colour of silver. Otherwise, it was in decent shape. We took it for a test drive, I checked it over, and plugged in my AutoEnginuity to it, and checked the battery with the Dr.Prius app on my phone and we agreed to pick it up a couple days later. And it came with a set of winter tires that weren't mounted...which is a story in itself with TPMS :rolleyes:

The only thing I would watch is the 12v battery, as our original battery died twice last summer. The second time I went and bought a new battery for it, and then that replacement drained while it was at the shop this past summer getting the windows tinted, so I'm a little leary about that, but I keep a little battery booster inside incase she's ever out and it happens when I'm not around.

rjacobs likes this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Congratulations! (and yes, never use any electricity in your Prius unless it is in Ready)

16. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    congrats! barely broken in, nicely done.

17. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    yup. Only issue was one of the wheel covers is scuffed up from curb damage, but I ASSUME I can pickup a replacement.

18. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    oh yea, that should be easy to fix and cheap I would think.

19. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  20. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Nice color, but I'm biased- ha.I like that interior, really pops.

rjacobs likes this.