1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

buying Prius for wife, confused on what to get

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by rjacobs, Mar 23, 2021.

1. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    2F0EE55E-1F65-463A-8E6C-298056EB70B9.jpeg Both my gen 4’s have had white interior. I do miss the ET looking steering wheel on the latest one as they changed the inserts to black.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. Those are serious questions.
    Hybrids are not the best choice for everybody.
    Simple fact.
    Nothing "negative" about it.
    I have owned 5 of them, as a matter of fact.
    3 Toyotas and two Fords.

If you really want to make a good choice, you need to listen to ALL sides of the "issue".

Just saying: "Yes, I am zeroed in on Prius only." would have been much simpler.

3. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Those wheel covers are dam* expensive... like $70/piece on ebay. I scuffed one of ours (thank you tall curb in a rainstorm at night). Have decided to wait until all four are scuffed up and then go aftermarket with a different style.

4. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’ll say this... we drive well south of 5K miles a year. Still averaging just shy of 49 mpg. Price (lease) of the vehicle was better than a comparable ICE vehicle with the same tech options.

so the ROI for us with a Prius is still better, even though we won’t save as much $ in fuel purchases over the course of the year (although gas is creeping up towards $4/gallon in Seattle).

we did look at a Chevy Bolt, which was comparably priced. But our condo building has not yet installed EV charging (which will run $6k per parking stall when it’s installed, plus $30/month for power/upkeep).

rjacobs likes this.
  5. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    It would probably be cheaper to import them from a uk Toyota dealer as they are £25 each here

MIkeDr likes this.
  6. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Man, free health care and low cost wheel covers!

7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Living the dream ;)

Not exactly free National insurance costs everyone over 16 12% of your PAYE salary. But certainly no bills if you ever use it.

#47 PaulDM, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
    MPGboss and MIkeDr like this.
  8. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Looks good! I also like the moonstone interior but it's for the best I got black softex interior on my used purchase. I try to be neat and change my clothes post-hike... 4th Gen has a nice feel, doesn't it?

rjacobs and PaulDM like this.
  9. rjacobs

rjacobs New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes, only put about 100 miles on it so far, but liking it so far. Got to get the windows tinted this next week and get some Husky Liner floor mats ordered up.

UN4GTBL and SeattleBebop1 like this.
  10. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Husky and WeatherTech are the gold standard!

Will you also get the rubber cargo mat? I got the WeatherTech floor mats and cargo mat. Apparently it's very important to make sure the electric battery doesn't get wet, but I'm probably at greater risk than the average driver because I carry lots of water containers and I do get leaks occasionally (water bladders, hahah).

#50 SeattleBebop1, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  11. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m not sure the price differential since they came with ours, but I really like the OEM all weather floor mats and cargo mat. They are a bit grippier than Weathertech.

12. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    1 of the wheel covers on ours was pretty bad when we got it, and a 2nd one had some minor scuffing on it too. I started my project only interested in replacing the bad one, and I would learn to live with the 2nd one since it's my wifes car. But I found a set of 4 knockoffs on ebay and ordered them for CAD$80 or so.

I did have to transfer the OEM toyota logo over to them, as the one that was on them was cheap and fell off as I opened the box lol. A little plastic welding and all is good, and I still have 2 spares!

It's impossible to tell the difference now:

[​IMG]

13. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    That interior looks really nice!!

Not sure I could handle the white for day to day, so happy ours is the black fake leather, but that looks better lol

14. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just bought a 2017 four touring with 22,500 miles. According to the carfax it was a "corporate" car and was bought at auction by the dealer. This concerned me somewhat but I took the chance and am pleased so far. The only negative things I have found are some tiny rock chips that I didn't notice and the 12 volt battery was replaced in 2020 because of a dead cell. I wonder why the battery replacement but I suppose it could be a good thing as it should be good for at least 5 years now. I take short trips of about 8 miles but about 3 are on the interstate and I am averaging over 58 mpg according to the computer. Only time will tell how it turns out but I have seen no solid research on how short trips will affect the outcome.

15. Ty D

Ty D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  16. Ty D

Ty D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four