1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying prius tomorrow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DustinLangston, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DustinLangston

DustinLangston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, I'm looking at a 2005 prius with 124000 miles. There asking 8900 for it. Is there anything I should look for and is this a good deal? Thanks.

JMD likes this.
  2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    that sounds a little high to me

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds high to me too but prices are also affected by location and KBB says it's right on the money for a middle of the road package. It really depends on how that compares to the other prices in the area, considering offerings by dealers and individuals. Of course the best comparison is what others have been paying in the area for the year and mileage but the purchase price is not readily available for cars. But the offering prices are and you can figure the purchase price will nearly always be something less. From what I've seen there seems to often be a correlation of roughly a $1,000 per year and $500-1,000 per 25k miles. You might look through Craigslist and broaden your search area, just to get a larger perspective. Of course you may have already done this.

4. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the info! I agree about the price. Are there any mechanical issues I shoul expect at this age an milage? Any tsb's or recalls? Thank you.

5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you get a manual that came with the car. Prius is a different animal! :confused: h​

6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make sure you get 2 keys (remotes) - they are very expensive.

- Alex

7. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it a one owner? Can you talk with him? Is there a service record? What has been done? When was the last time the 12v battery was replaced? Run a search of the VIN online to see if there is a CarFax report. Get the VIN and register it at the Toyota owners site. It will give the service record they have and the recall info. Is it a clear title, not rebuilt? What is the avg MPG? 45 or better is what you are looking for but being shuffled around on a lot it may show much less. Drive it and see if the engine cuts off at stop lights and stop signs. It should unless the heat is turned up. How many bars are showing in the state of charge? At 30-40 mph with the cruise set will it kick into EV only? No dash lights. How does the engine sound? What do the fluids look like? How do the tires look? Most of what you are looking for is the same for most cars except for the hybrid operation and that should kick on and off and show the battery bars going up and down. There really isn't much more than that to be overly concerned about. Good luck.

alekska likes this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will second the "make sure you get two keys". If you only get one and try to get another one, you can expect to pay a considerable amount for the key and the programming of it.

9. DustinLangston

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you everyone.

10. oocutioo

oocutioo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Key is available at metro toyota for around 140 shipped and u can program yourself. I have done it

GT-N7100 ? 2